GPS stopped working

:
CX5
So the GPS in my 2016 GT doesn't seem to be working. I rarely use it, cause I rely on Waze, and I've never updated anything, but it doesn't seem to be a navigation software issue, but rather that the GPS isn't registering where I am at all. It shows me in my driveway all the time. Any idea where to start to diagnose the problem? Even though I don't use it very often, and its pretty awful anyway compared to Waze, I'd like to have it working as a backup.

So the GPS in my 2016 GT doesn't seem to be working. I rarely use 'it, cause I rely on Waze, and I've never updated anything, but it doesn't seem to be a navigation software issue, but rather that the GPS isn't registering where I am at all. It shows me in my driveway all the time. Any idea where to start to diagnose the problem? Even though I don't use it very often, and its pretty awful anyway compared to Waze, I'd like to have it working as a backup.
I had been having GPS problem quite a while and I let my dealer fixed it right before the warranty expired. But my symptom was different from yours. Mine was acting as I don't have GPS option with compass displayed. You can check your SD card first and make sure the write-protect tab is not enabled. With SD card out, spray some electronic contact cleaner into the SD card reader slot before you put the card back. If you've done a backup on your SD card with MyMazda app, you may do a restore to a different 8GB SD card and try it out. If those simple things can't make your GPS work, you have more severe issues.

So the GPS in my 2016 GT doesn't seem to be working. I rarely use it, cause I rely on Waze, and I've never updated anything, but it doesn't seem to be a navigation software issue, but rather that the GPS isn't registering where I am at all. It shows me in my driveway all the time. Any idea where to start to diagnose the problem? Even though I don't use it very often, and its pretty awful anyway compared to Waze, I'd like to have it working as a backup.

You can try ejecting the SD card and reinserting it. You can look at the contacts on the SD card and see if there is any corrosion.

Since you are in salt and snow country, a common culprit is the GPS antenna on the roof, the connection can become corroded.

Have your dealer check the date code on the sd card. There are some made in China that fail in cold weather. You can also try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes. Reconnect to let the system re initialize. If that doesn't work, check the software level. The latest is 70.00.100. This also supports Apple/ Android carplay.

Also check if you have aftermarket stuff installed.
Some of them could be interfering with GPS signal.
I once have a DVR (from eBay, and it was made in China, of course) installed and it made my GPS locate me anywhere in California, sometimes Pacific Ocean. After I disconnected it, A-OK again.

I dont think its anything to do with the SD card. I just updated that, and it all checked out. Map loads OK and everything. Just nothing associated with the GPS works. Doesn't know where I am. Even the clock connection to GPS doesn't work. I am uner 36,000 miles, and just under 36 month, so I think I should still be in warranty, so I guess I'll have me dealer look at, but wondering, where the actual GPS antenna etc is, and if I can see any obvious problems there.

Back