Thread: GPS stopped working

Registered Member

CX5

GPS stopped working

So the GPS in my 2016 GT doesn't seem to be working. I rarely use it, cause I rely on Waze, and I've never updated anything, but it doesn't seem to be a navigation software issue, but rather that the GPS isn't registering where I am at all. It shows me in my driveway all the time. Any idea where to start to diagnose the problem? Even though I don't use it very often, and its pretty awful anyway compared to Waze, I'd like to have it working as a backup.

Registered Member

2017 CX-5 GT AWD

Are you still under warranty? If so, let the dealer do it.

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow GPS stopped working

Quote Originally Posted by hallcx5 View Post
    So the GPS in my 2016 GT doesn't seem to be working. I rarely use 'it, cause I rely on Waze, and I've never updated anything, but it doesn't seem to be a navigation software issue, but rather that the GPS isn't registering where I am at all. It shows me in my driveway all the time. Any idea where to start to diagnose the problem? Even though I don't use it very often, and its pretty awful anyway compared to Waze, I'd like to have it working as a backup.
    I had been having GPS problem quite a while and I let my dealer fixed it right before the warranty expired. But my symptom was different from yours. Mine was acting as I don't have GPS option with compass displayed. You can check your SD card first and make sure the write-protect tab is not enabled. With SD card out, spray some electronic contact cleaner into the SD card reader slot before you put the card back. If you've done a backup on your SD card with MyMazda app, you may do a restore to a different 8GB SD card and try it out. If those simple things can't make your GPS work, you have more severe issues.

ZOOOOOOOOOM ZOOOOOOOOOOOM mazdadude's Avatar

'16.5 Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD, '05 PRIUS

Quote Originally Posted by hallcx5 View Post
    So the GPS in my 2016 GT doesn't seem to be working. I rarely use it, cause I rely on Waze, and I've never updated anything, but it doesn't seem to be a navigation software issue, but rather that the GPS isn't registering where I am at all. It shows me in my driveway all the time. Any idea where to start to diagnose the problem? Even though I don't use it very often, and its pretty awful anyway compared to Waze, I'd like to have it working as a backup.
    You can try ejecting the SD card and reinserting it. You can look at the contacts on the SD card and see if there is any corrosion.

Since you are in salt and snow country, a common culprit is the GPS antenna on the roof, the connection can become corroded.
    Mazda's I have owned over the years. (boom07)
    80' Mazda GLC SPORT MT - sold
    81' Mazda 626 DX MT - sold
    81' Mazda 626 LX AT - sold
    82' Mazda 626 DX MT - sold
    82' Mazda 626 LX AT - sold
    85' Mazda 626 LX MT - sold
    87' Mazda 626 GT Turbo MT - sold
    85' Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE MT- sold
    87' Mazda RX-7 Turbo 2 MT - sold
    91' Mazda Protege LX MT - sold
    92' Mazda MX-5 Miata MT - sold
    93' Mazda MX-3 GS-V6 Special Edition MT - sold
    00' Mazda 626 LX-V6 MT - sold
    02.5' Mazda Protege5 MT - sold
    92' Mazda MX-5 Miata MT - sold
    06' Mazda 5 Touring AT - sold
    13' Mazda CX-5 Touring AT - sold
    14' Mazda 3i Grand Touring MT - sold
    15' Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD AT - sold
    03' Mazda Protege5 AT - sold
    16.5' Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD AT - current
    09' Mazda Mazdaspeed3 GT - current

Registered Member

CX-5

Have your dealer check the date code on the sd card. There are some made in China that fail in cold weather. You can also try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes. Reconnect to let the system re initialize. If that doesn't work, check the software level. The latest is 70.00.100. This also supports Apple/ Android carplay.

2017 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2016 Mazda6 iGT, 2014 Mazda3 sGT hatchback

Also check if you have aftermarket stuff installed.
    Some of them could be interfering with GPS signal.
    I once have a DVR (from eBay, and it was made in China, of course) installed and it made my GPS locate me anywhere in California, sometimes Pacific Ocean. After I disconnected it, A-OK again.
    2016 Mazda6 iGT + Tech Pkg
    ....Sonic Silver Mica / Parchment
    2014 Mazda3 sGT hatchback
    ....Soul Red Metallic / Almond

Registered Member

CX5

I dont think its anything to do with the SD card. I just updated that, and it all checked out. Map loads OK and everything. Just nothing associated with the GPS works. Doesn't know where I am. Even the clock connection to GPS doesn't work. I am uner 36,000 miles, and just under 36 month, so I think I should still be in warranty, so I guess I'll have me dealer look at, but wondering, where the actual GPS antenna etc is, and if I can see any obvious problems there.