Rear sway bar options for 1st generation CX-5

The measurements look correct for what we have here for our Mazda 3 bar. The only other thing I could think of that would be different is the end link hole, I thought the AWD Cx5 used an M12 and the 2wd used an M10.

-Derrick

The measurements look correct for what we have here for our Mazda 3 bar. The only other thing I could think of that would be different is the end link hole, I thought the AWD Cx5 used an M12 and the 2wd used an M10.

-Derrick

Don't think so. For example Autoexe endlinks (which I have) are the exact same p/n for the 3 and cx5 AWD/WWD. P/N "MKE7655". The stud is snug in the hole.

cx5 https://www.autoexe.co.jp/english/car/ke.html
mz3 (BM) https://www.autoexe.co.jp/english/car/bm.html

Probably good to go then on fitment. Worst case if you have a 4wd CX5 and the end links are M12 you just drill out the end of the bar to work.

-Derrick

Best Anti-Sway Options

From what I read on this forum thread for a normal street, road, and canyon driving car that's going to get tons of miles, it makes sense to simply upgrade the sway bars, starting first with the rear. This car is never going to the track, but it's going on lots of road trips back and forth through steep canyons and highways with cross winds and sweeping turns. I don't need to mod the suspension with totally, that's why I chose a CX-5 over a Rav4 or some tippy feeling car.

I've gathered this is an easy DIY. I've done this upgrade on lots of other cars easily with impressive results. Some engineering on this car sometimes surprises me that certain mods are not as easy as they could be.

How easy are the sway bar changes? What else is involved?

What are the current options for Rear and Front / sizes, sources? Do I just trust "Google"?

2014 GT AWD

Thanks!

From what I read on this forum thread for a normal street, road, and canyon driving car that's going to get tons of miles, it makes sense to simply upgrade the sway bars, starting first with the rear. This car is never going to the track, but it's going on lots of road trips back and forth through steep canyons and highways with cross winds and sweeping turns. I don't need to mod the suspension with totally, that's why I chose a CX-5 over a Rav4 or some tippy feeling car.

I've gathered this is an easy DIY. I've done this upgrade on lots of other cars easily with impressive results. Some engineering on this car sometimes surprises me that certain mods are not as easy as they could be.

How easy are the sway bar changes? What else is involved?

What are the current options for Rear and Front / sizes, sources? Do I just trust "Google"?

2014 GT AWD

Thanks!

Rear sway is relatively easy to access, if you have access to a lift. Although you could do it on jack stands set to high and a jack to raise and lower the rear differential. You remove 1 bolt from each rear end link and then the four subframe bolts while you have a jack under the rear differential (the rear diff is attached tot he subframe so it's not going anywhere, just don't let it hang since that's a lot of weight on the transmission). This allows you to lower the subframe enough to access the sway bar. Front is more involved as you have to lower the front subframe a little, (I think 6 bolts) and also unbolt 1 end of the RMM, in addition to the 1 end of each end link. If you plan on paying for labour I'd get a quote first. I ran a rear only for a long time but I also had stiffer springs/dampers which also control body roll. The front was more important to me because of my ride height compared to the performance gain (which was not that drastic due to my other mods) in my set up. If you are running stock height I'd probably run a rear only and decide later if you want the front. Since C/S doesn't officially list a CX-5 bar anymore (I didn't check again), Ultra Racing, Hard Race (resold as Megan racing) and autoexe are choices.

Hoping for some clarification. I understand that the stock rear sway bar is 19mm. The Megan rear sway bar is also 19 mm. Would would handling improve with Megan if the thickness is the same?

I know that JBR is 32mm but it's twice as expensive as Megan once you factor in shipping to Canada.

What are, or where can I find the diameters of the OEM rear stabilizer bars for the CX-5/3/6(?)? i want to investigate some suspension tuning.

Hoping for some clarification. I understand that the stock rear sway bar is 19mm. The Megan rear sway bar is also 19 mm. Would would handling improve with Megan if the thickness is the same?

I know that JBR is 32mm but it's twice as expensive as Megan once you factor in shipping to Canada.

Thickness in diameter is not the only story for sway bars. Material is a big one, as well as the mounting solution. Both play a part in enhancing overall stiffness.

Can anyone confirm if Megan rear sway will have a positive result given that it has the same diameter as the stock sway?

based on p/n's it looks like the KE/KF cx5 and the 2014 generation 3 use the same swaybar KD31-28-151. From what I've seen in photos the only difference is the length of the arm after the ~90 degree bend(s)... which follows with Derricks inquiries.. maybe corksport can confirm if their swaybars are indeed the same for the 2014+ Mazda 3 and the (now "unavailable") KE CX-5... and possibly KF CX-5 ;)

edit:
Instruction manual for the KE CX5 swaybar even says "2014+ Mazda 3" on it...

Last edited:
Back