Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: For “Driver-Assist” system enthusiasts…

Registered Member

2019 Mazda CX-9 Signature

Overall the radar cruise works okay on calm highway roads. In traffic it is quite useless and dangerous. When a car cuts in front and slows down, the radar doesnt pick it up quick enough and does not brake in time. I have to manually brake. Same thing goes for when a car gets out of the way and there is a slower car in front. The radar doesnt see it quick enough. It's definitely not something you want to trust using. You still need to be aware of everything on the road and keep your foot next to the brakes just in case.

Donated: $25

2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature

Quote Originally Posted by Trixstar View Post
    Overall the radar cruise works okay on calm highway roads. In traffic it is quite useless and dangerous. When a car cuts in front and slows down, the radar doesnt pick it up quick enough and does not brake in time. I have to manually brake. Same thing goes for when a car gets out of the way and there is a slower car in front. The radar doesnt see it quick enough. It's definitely not something you want to trust using. You still need to be aware of everything on the road and keep your foot next to the brakes just in case.
    That's just common sense. All of these convenience systems are driver aids. They're meant to assist with driving, not replace the driver.

Radar cruise works perfectly for me. I use it almost exclusively on highways, and sometimes I even use it on my commute home. It's really quite easy to use, and it works very well.

With regard to the scenario you listed above (car cuts in front and slows down), the car does respond immediately in my experience. Maybe you're just not comfortable with your current distance setting (is it set too low)? Have you tried adjusting the radar cruise distance at all?

Registered Member

2018 Madza CX-9 GT

Quote Originally Posted by Trixstar View Post
    Wow – In my experience the very best use of the Stop-n-Go Cruise control is in heavy traffic. (I love it so much I made a video about it).

But yea, you’re so right, you’re driving; you need to have complete control.

Yet, in my experience, even though the “Adaptive Cruise” doesn’t always adjust fast when you’re letting it brake for you (and at the last minute the car you’ve been following pulls out of your lane), still…

The good news is, in my experience with my 2018, a different Mazda system (Advanced Smart City Brake Support) takes over and warns you and automatically applies the brakes (if you don’t).

I’m pretty sure that is the way it works, however in my 1.5 years of driving so far I have always applied the brakes myself – but I’m relatively sure that if the vehicle is smart enough to detect the danger and flash the warning, it likely would have braked for me if I hadn’t already done it.

(Still, I don’t really want to be the poor soul who finds out the hard way that that is not how it works.) I’ve asked other owners in this forum before about this and got very few responses. Given the poor quality of the “Owner’s Manual” relative to these safety systems, I don’t feel very comfortable that the guys who wrote the manual clearly understand how these separate safety systems play with each other?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hockeye View Post
    But yea, you’re so right, you’re driving; you need to have complete control.
    Speaking of keeping yourself in control, l have 'discovered' a flaw in the ACC/driver loop: After coming off the highway into city traffic and getting off the cruise control, I almost crashed into the car in front waiting for my car to apply the 'cruise brakes' - so now I try to remember that, hey, I'm back in charge...

Registered Member

I also found that the radar cruise control was most useful on congested highways, where traffic speed varied a lot and regularly from 65mph to 40mph and back. It was working extremely well in that scenario. On long clear highway drive, I almost prefer the regular cruise control because I sometime forget that it is adaptive and realize that for the past 10 minutes I have been following a slow driver and have been driving slower than I wanted to.

Talking about keeping control, another scenario to be careful about is when traffic is slow on radar cruise control and you take an empty off-ramp, the car suddenly speeds up down the off-ramp because the road is now clear, usually not a big issue but something to be aware off.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123