Water leak

:
2010 Mazda 5
I have had water leaking in the lift gate window, I think. I have seen water on the back cargo floor and once on the third row seat back. It seems to come from the trim around the window not off the window. Has anyone had this issue? Looking for advise before l take apart the lift gate.

Not sure. I pulled the center brake light an put a little silicone around the bolt hole seals and the hole for the plug. I'm not sure that is where it is leaking. I'm concerned it may be the seal around the glass.

Next time it rains I will check.

Something must have happened to cause this.

Just a thought, did you happen to back-up into a lower clearing that tugged at the antenna base? I know someone who backed their CRV into low area and ripped the antenna base loose, which caused a slow leak. Fix it by using a faux shark fin cover (AM/FM reception suck but they don't use it). Looks great.

The leak is internal to the lift gate. It drips from between the glass and plastic. Not that I would say it is impossible. Also, no, I have not backed into anything.

take the plastic off the back door, take the plastic off he roof by the gate and look...
get inside the car and ask someone to poor the water from a hose and watch...
You can also drop the headliner a bit at the back and see, just need to remove a bench of plastic bits and door seals.
Remember that leak could be coming from anywhere, like a sunroof and run down to the lowest point.

So the silicone did not work. I will start taking things apart the next chance I get. After I replace the clutch master cylinder, for a second time.

I have the same issue, Poureda bucket of water over the tailgate and straight away it made its way inside the car. I was about to remove the brake light but just read your post doesn't look like that'll help. My next step is probably to remove the whole door, not looking forward to that task. Did you ever find a solution? Cheers

Check the grommet for the hatch door. Pull off (snaps) the plastic trim on the rear roof. Have someone drench the base of the grommet (outside) as you push and pull it (inside). If the car is old, the gasket around the grommet is likely getting dry/brittle. Opening and closing the hatch ay move it a little. movement/not perfect fit = water entry. Water comes in form there and and the plastic trim carries it off to the sides, down into trunk.

Current solution has been too live with it. After looking at having to take the door off to remove the interior panel I just have not been motivated. I can put in a new clutch, struts, and CV axles but not take off the hatch. What if wrong with me.

Not sure we are talking about the same thing. This is easy to check

Attachments

• C63084B3-0109-4DB7-AC63-2219345B5429.jpeg
    C63084B3-0109-4DB7-AC63-2219345B5429.jpeg
    67.8 KB · Views: 168
Current solution has been too live with it. After looking at having to take the door off to remove the interior panel I just have not been motivated. I can put in a new clutch, struts, and CV axles but not take off the hatch. What if wrong with me.
@pkthomas Did you ever solve this issue? I feel like I'm experiencing the same exact thing with water pooling between the glass and the rear hatch on either side of the wiper inside the car and then running down the trim into the spare tire area. Thanks!

I have not resolved the issue yet. I need to got this taken care of soon as the car will be passed to my soon to be 16 year old. I also have a long list of other rattles and minor issues to take care of for him to help me with on the car.

I have not resolved the issue yet. I need to got this taken care of soon as the car will be passed to my soon to be 16 year old. I also have a long list of other rattles and minor issues to take care of for him to help me with on the car.
Heard. I've been chasing it for weeks and am still trying to troubleshoot, so I'll report back if I figured it out. My subwoofer lives in the spare tire well and I leave my car parked for weeks at a time while traveling for work, so it's something I really need to solve!

Just letting you know that the top of my rear window had apparently come free of the seal. I paid a local auto glass company $100 to remove the glass and then reseal/reinstall it and I haven't had any issues since! I hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back