Snorkelectomy

G

Guest201874

Intake

I noticed a sort of secondary white mesh filter inside the airbox on the secondary side going toward the hose to the throttle body. What is the story on this?

Last edited:
I like the stats on that filter, got one myself a few years ago. I would be lying though if I said I noticed a performance difference on my 2.0 L engine though, lol.

Not sure you*ll find many people here who would do that while under warranty ; )

I removed the white mesh on my car. Is a California CARB thing.

What snorkel are you talking about? The CX-5 and all skyactiv engines get fresh cold air from the top of the radiator area. The other lower snorkels are probably to let excessive water and debris evacuate out.

I removed the white mesh on my car. Is a California CARB thing.

What snorkel are you talking about? The CX-5 and all skyactiv engines get fresh cold air from the top of the radiator area. The other lower snorkels are probably to let excessive water and debris evacuate out.

What white mesh is this?

What white mesh is this?

Its a California CARB model thing. They put a thick white mesh inside and permanently attached to the actual airbox to help filter gaseous contaminants from escaping the intake system into the air. When I say thick I mean thick 3-layered filter. Cut mine out.

This is separate from the air filter.

Its a California CARB model thing. They put a thick white mesh inside and permanently attached to the actual airbox to help filter gaseous contaminants from escaping the intake system into the air. When I say thick I mean thick 3-layered filter. Cut mine out.

This is separate from the air filter.

Hmm...never saw anything else besides the air filter. How can I check mine?

Hmm...never saw anything else besides the air filter. How can I check mine?

Oh okay ummm..

Open your intake box. The said screen is attached to the underside of the cover of the air box. Chances are if you do not have a California model you don't have it.

Oh okay ummm..

Open your intake box. The said screen is attached to the underside of the cover of the air box. Chances are if you do not have a California model you don't have it.
Good to know, thanks.

Will double-check either way.

Well lucky for us, it voids absolutely nothing.

Just saying I wouldn*t fuss with it. If an issue popped up with a sensor (even though it likely would not have anything to do with it), I*d not want to have to deal with a service center denying a warranty claim because I screwed with it.

*Sir, you*re going to have to pay for this fix because you modified the stock components*.

*But the guys on my favorite forum said it would be ok to give it a snorkelectomy!* (rofl2)

Last edited:
Sorry about all of the damn *s in my posts lately. Using mobile Safari browser and I can not get it to switch permanently back to the mobile webpage. Apostrophes and quotes typed in desktop mode get converted to a * after posting. It*s maddening.

There is absolutely NO WAY installing a different (or no) air filter will affect mileage, with the single exception being that the added noise kept your foot off the throttle.

And you will not get any significant increase of power, with the exception of resonances in specific RPM ranges boosting output, while also decreasing output at most other RPM.

Thirty years ago, yeah, you could (and I did) get great increases in power output. That hasn't been true for at least 15 years. And no, your vendor-supplied dyno chart isn't proof. There's dozens of ways to 'help' a dyno run show more HP/T.

You don*t say =)

Killing me, smalls! (rofl)

Man, cx-500 layin down the law! I like the AEM Dryflow filter for filtration efficiency, but I do believe he is right.

Smart comments aside (looking at you Nelson :D), I think you are going to find yourself a bit of a trailblazer on this topic. Hell, I experienced some hand wringing over changing spark plugs and transmission fluid. Thus I believe my original point stands that not many people are going to be modifying their air box so soon on a 2018 cx5. I will continue following to see what you might come up with! ; )

I wonder if critters can find their way up after you removed that mesh filter?

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/VHW0X0GEQQjiU" width="480" height="287" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/editingandlayout-VHW0X0GEQQjiU">via GIPHY</a></p>

I wonder if critters can find their way up after you removed that mesh filter?

The Air Filter would block them. Said Mesh Filter sits like 1 inch above the air filter when the air box is closed.........assuming you even have the mesh filter

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/VHW0X0GEQQjiU" width="480" height="287" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/editingandlayout-VHW0X0GEQQjiU">via GIPHY</a></p>

^^^^^^^^^^^^ Then again critters find a way. Look at Jurassic Park LOL

Back