Bought a brand new 2018 CX-9 Mazda last wednesday, battery draining due to ABS

theBlood

:
mazda cx 9
So I bought a CX-9 2018 last Wednesday, I had it for a day and then the next morning the car won't start, the dealership replaced the battery and sent me my merry way. I used car for another day and the next day it won't start again.

I called up the dealership and they got my car in dealership for another round of check, the service guy just called me ans said the ABS is draining power from the battery.

They have placed a order of the same module, but it is on back-order. they have no idea when that part will be available ! (sad1)

Does anybody in the community is also facing the same problem ?

Never heard of this happening. I hope they get you squared away quick because the car is truly amazing. At the very least, you should be driving a loaner CX-9 in the interim.

Never heard of this happening. I hope they get you squared away quick because the car is truly amazing. At the very least, you should be driving a loaner CX-9 in the interim.

Yeah, never heard of it either, I've been searching for the same kind of issue from other people, but didn't find any info. I do have CX-5 as loaner, but the service department is not sure when the replacement ABS module would be available, since it is back-ordered.

Do you think I should ask for a replacement car, coz this is a new car and there is no guarantee that the part would be available soon. (sad1)

That really sucks, if it were me, I'd ask them to take the module off of a car they have on the lot and replace the faulty one with that. There's no way I'd be happy with a loaner two days into the purchase.

Buy two glass chalk window markers. Draw a huge yellow lemon in the window. Big. Bright. Can't-be-missed. In white write a brief description of the problem. Park in a public space in front of the dealership. Let us all know how quickly they run out with a solution that meets your needs.

If there aren't any modules available, there just aren't. They need to lend you another car until yours is fixed, or cannibalize a different car. Or rescind your deal. (A problem for them is that once a car is titled, it can't be sold again as new. That's their problem, not yours.)

Did they fix the issue? I have a 2018 CX-9 that is having a similar problem. It has 5,000 miles and the battery randomly started dying upon startup. It has happened twice thus far and Ive had it in for testing three times now to no avail. Luckily I have a Nest Cam on the car at all times so I was able to show the dealership the footage. I havent done anything wrong. Mazda Roadside assistance had a read out that said it has a bad alternator. The dealership is saying the alternator is fine. The first time that the battery died once the car was jumped only half of the electronics were working. I drove it to the dealership like this. Ive also noticed that the lights on the instrument cluster and below the infotanment center will dim randomly even at night. My loaner has the lights on the same setting and its not doing this. I am a stay at home mom of an infant and I am afraid to drive the vehicle. So far, I am driving the loaner while they continue testing but Im terrified theyre going to put me back in an unsafe vehicle.

Did they fix the issue? I have a 2018 CX-9 that is having a similar problem. It has 5,000 miles and the battery randomly started dying upon startup. It has happened twice thus far and Ive had it in for testing three times now to no avail. Luckily I have a Nest Cam on the car at all times so I was able to show the dealership the footage. I havent done anything wrong. Mazda Roadside assistance had a read out that said it has a bad alternator. The dealership is saying the alternator is fine. The first time that the battery died once the car was jumped only half of the electronics were working. I drove it to the dealership like this. Ive also noticed that the lights on the instrument cluster and below the infotanment center will dim randomly even at night. My loaner has the lights on the same setting and its not doing this. I am a stay at home mom of an infant and I am afraid to drive the vehicle. So far, I am driving the loaner while they continue testing but Im terrified theyre going to put me back in an unsafe vehicle.
If charging is fine, it might've come w/ a bad batt.

Interesting. I just bought a new 2018 yesterday. I guess I'll have to keep an eye out for that. Funny how right after I purchase a car and go on a corresponding forum I see things that are bad that I didn't see prior to purchase.(thought). I think it's a brilliant car. So far after 300 miles or so I notice a slight rattle/vibration when the turbo kicks in if my foot is in it. Sounds like it's coming from the center speaker area on the dash. Mostly my wife car and it's not going to get driven to hard so not a big issue.
Just hope that it is as reliable as the 2016 CX-5 GT I traded in. That was one of the tightest cars I've ever had even after 40k miles.

Did they fix the issue? I have a 2018 CX-9 that is having a similar problem. It has 5,000 miles and the battery randomly started dying upon startup. It has happened twice thus far and I*ve had it in for testing three times now to no avail. Luckily I have a Nest Cam on the car at all times so I was able to show the dealership the footage. I haven*t done anything wrong. Mazda Roadside assistance had a read out that said it has a bad alternator. The dealership is saying the alternator is fine. The first time that the battery died once the car was jumped only half of the electronics were working. I drove it to the dealership like this. I*ve also noticed that the lights on the instrument cluster and below the infotanment center will dim randomly even at night. My loaner has the lights on the same setting and it*s not doing this. I am a stay at home mom of an infant and I am afraid to drive the vehicle. So far, I am driving the loaner while they continue testing but I*m terrified they*re going to put me back in an unsafe vehicle.

http://www.consumer.ga.gov/about-us/statutes-we-enforce/ga-lemon-law
Georgia Lemon Law:
""Nonconformity" means a defect, a serious safety defect, or a condition, any of which substantially impairs the use, value, or safety of a new motor vehicle to the consumer...."
"(A) A serious safety defect has been subject to repair one time and the serious safety defect has not been corrected;

(B) The same nonconformity has been subject to repair three times, and the nonconformity has not been corrected; or

(C) The vehicle is out of service by reason of repair of one or more nonconformities for a cumulative total of 30 days."

So...read the entire Georgia Lemon Law. You've allowed them the 3 tries by the dealership to completely repair it. File the Lemon Law complaint with Mazda North America in Irvine, Ca., as detailed in the law of your state. That really gets their attention.

Yeah, never heard of it either, I've been searching for the same kind of issue from other people, but didn't find any info. I do have CX-5 as loaner, but the service department is not sure when the replacement ABS module would be available, since it is back-ordered.

Do you think I should ask for a replacement car, coz this is a new car and there is no guarantee that the part would be available soon. (sad1)

Review the Lemon Law for your state. There usually is a time period to fix the problem, then the car must be replaced. If you qualify, file a claim against the Lemon Law. You don't care if they take the module off an un-sold CX-9 on the lot somewhere--you deserve the car you bought. Make it Mazda North America's problem, not your problem.

Back