Traction Control System

I never knew there was such a thing. I only knew about the sealant in the can.

Of course. And it's no harder than changing the tire, and eliminates the trip to the tire store.

Oh yeah, been there done that.

Glad you brought this up. Gonna get a kit tomorrow. I owe you a beer! (drinks)

Here's something that you may not believe: the big tire dealer in my town FIXES FLATS FOR FREE, even if you didn't buy your tires from them. Best customer relations policy in the world! (headbang)

Ill bet that is Les Schwab. Great customer service. Ive used them for decades.

I think they'll be fine. I went Jeeping with my cousin and his Jeep brigade in Moab a few years ago. They all put their tires pretty low and they never bothered to fill them back up until we actually left to go home. They were like that for days for not just the Jeep trails, but going around town and up and down the highway a bit.

People do it all the time. The only way it would be a problem would be at high speeds for extended periods.

I said the CANNED slime, stuff you squirt int the tire to hopefully stop up the leak with goop, don't know if they still make this stuff but was popular quite a few years ago. I had quite a few tires apart that people squirted this stuff into, stuff is a mess. I'm not talking about the slime plugs.

Sure they still make it. And it's great for wheelbarrow tires. But I would never put it in a good or expensive tire .

People do it all the time. The only way it would be a problem would be at high speeds for extended periods.

The first time you come to a corner on a sealed road running 18psi (which is what many offroaders run on soft sand or mud, gravel etc) you will find out what extreme understeer is like.

That is what I call a big problem!

The first time you come to a corner on a sealed road running 18psi (which is what many offroaders run on soft sand or mud, gravel etc) you will find out what extreme understeer is like.

That is what I call a big problem!

If you've lowered your pressure, you're not gonna drive fast enough for that on pavement, right? Right?

If you've lowered your pressure, you're not gonna drive fast enough for that on pavement, right? Right?

What is *fast enough*??

You certainly cant do anything remotely approaching normal cornering speeds safely. I have seen Toyota Landsruisers nearly go off fairly gentle corners at less than 30mph. Not to mention the risk of rolling a tyre off the rim...

Which is why offroad drivers who know what they are doing carry good quality 12v air pumps and repressure their tyres immediately they get back onto the black stuff.

What is *fast enough*??

You certainly cant do anything remotely approaching normal cornering speeds safely. I have seen Toyota Landsruisers nearly go off fairly gentle corners at less than 30mph. Not to mention the risk of rolling a tyre off the rim...

Which is why offroad drivers who know what they are doing carry good quality 12v air pumps and repressure their tyres immediately they get back onto the black stuff.

Certainly it's better to pressurize your tires properly for whatever surface you're driving, no question. But if someone can't or won't, and they have self and equipment and situational awareness, and a bit of common sense, they won't have a problem. Drive like a dope? Pay the price.

Of course, there are plenty of people doing all kinds of things while not knowing what they're doing. And getting away with it! (hand)

Back