Traction Control System

That is how TCS is supposed to work but often not aggressive enough so personal intervention may be necessary to brake those spinning wheels. Toyota ATRAC like I have on my GX 460 is pretty draconian and doesn't have any reservations braking a spinning wheel.

That is how TCS is supposed to work but often not aggressive enough so personal intervention may be necessary to brake those spinning wheels. Toyota ATRAC like I have on my GX 460 is pretty draconian and doesn't have any reservations braking a spinning wheel.

So what you're saying is that in a spinning situation, application of the brakes will cause TCS to kick in rather than affect all 4 wheels? It seems that it must be TCS that's doing what you describe. Have you experienced this on your CX-5 as well as the GX?

I should have phrased properly.. this is in a traction loss scenario where TCS and TCS off aren't getting you out of a stuck situation.

"Left foot braking" is what it is called in off-road circles. Just an option to remember if seriously stuck and to overcome limitations of open differentials.

EDIT: Turn off TCS if you plan to do this.

Last edited:
Also, in the sand you should deflate your tires down to about 20 pounds, increases your tire's footprint and keeps ypou from digging ruts.
I would not do this. You're probably going to have to get back on pavement to get air so know you're risking a blowout driving on concrete or asphalt with very underinflated tires.

That is why you take a small air compressor with you and re-inflate tires when you get back to pavement.

https://www.travelblog.org/North-America/United-States/South-Carolina/Myrtle-Beach/blog-126468.html

877607-Deflate-tires-0.jpg

You can always throw a set of these up on the roof rack as well. I have a set of these ...they work well to get anything out even FWD/RWD vehicles.

41LoVeve%2BuL.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dJtKMuwsEw

Last edited:
I should have phrased properly.. this is in a traction loss scenario where TCS and TCS off aren't getting you out of a stuck situation.

"Left foot braking" is what it is called in off-road circles. Just an option to remember if seriously stuck and to overcome limitations of open differentials.

EDIT: Turn off TCS if you plan to do this.

(2thumbs)

Yep. I carry a DC air compressor and a spare fuse for it (they burn out) in my boot as regular kit (along with slime kit). Never waste time at a gas station or stuck on the side of road for a puncture.

Have you ever had a slimed tire repaired? I've heard tire guys complain about slime. One even told me it can make it impossible to do a proper patch later. Don't know if it's a legitimate complaint or not.

Yep. I carry a DC air compressor and a spare fuse for it (they burn out) in my boot as regular kit (along with slime kit). Never waste time at a gas station or stuck on the side of road for a puncture.

Hmm I should get one. Half the time gas station air pumps don't even work right.

Have you ever had a slimed tire repaired? I've heard tire guys complain about slime. One even told me it can make it impossible to do a proper patch later. Don't know if it's a legitimate complaint or not.

Slimed as in Fix a Flat?

If you're getting a compressor, get a decent one - cheap ones don't look very reliable.
I just got this one on ebay - VIAIR 75P Portable Compressor Kit 00075 - compact and robust; I like it; have tested it, hopefully will never have to use it.
I figure my approach to a flat tire would be a) try pumping up tire with compressor (maybe a slow leak) b) put on mini spare, maybe with roadside assistance if I have cell service - a real pain if it's a front tire, as then you're supposed to put a full size tire from back onto front and the mini spare on back c) if in a really bad spot, use fix-a-flat + air compressor d) start walking (skiing?) to help!.

I've done it multiple times as we have a lot of highway construction and construction workers/junky pickup trunks carrying sharps everywhere (Southern texas). I've never had an issue with one after It's been patched. I'm talking about the slime kit you get in any automotive section that has the rubber+synthetic fiber strips, and the little rasp tool. I also carry rubber cement from slime.
I remove the nail etc, use the rasp tool, put way too much rubber cement around the hole, then I use the tool to put the folded rubber strip in the hole, snipe the excess, then slather more rubber cement over it... once it wears itself down you can barely see it and I've never had an issue with a leak or blowout.
My current set of tires have no patches (finger cross), but I can say I've gone over 20000 miles on that method with at least 1 on 2 tires at the same time. Also if it were to fail again, you'd just end up with a slow leak like you had when a nail was in there.

Also those are the same tire guys that tell you they cant patch the tire because it's just outside of the main contact area; I can sell you this tire..

If you're getting a compressor, get a decent one - cheap ones don't look very reliable.
I just got this one on ebay - VIAIR 75P Portable Compressor Kit 00075 - compact and robust; I like it; have tested it, hopefully will never have to use it.
I figure my approach to a flat tire would be a) try pumping up tire with compressor (maybe a slow leak) b) put on mini spare, maybe with roadside assistance if I have cell service - a real pain if it's a front tire, as then you're supposed to put a full size tire from back onto front and the mini spare on back c) if in a really bad spot, use fix-a-flat + air compressor d) start walking (skiing?) to help!.

I've never had a problem with a $10 compressor from ebay (the yellow one which you can buy at pep boys for $30).. the only thing is the 15a fuse inside the actual plug can blow, and people assume the pump is broke and toss it, when you can get a pack of the 15a fuses at Walmart for like $3. That fuse will blow regardless if you have a cheap one or not. I have a slime one in my car that cost about $40. It has a light on it, and a pressure gauge and a very long cord.

I'm talking about the slime kit you get in any automotive section that has the rubber+synthetic fiber strips, and the little rasp tool. I also carry rubber cement from slime.
I never knew there was such a thing. I only knew about the sealant in the can.

if it were to fail again, you'd just end up with a slow leak like you had when a nail was in there.
Of course. And it's no harder than changing the tire, and eliminates the trip to the tire store.

Also those are the same tire guys that tell you they cant patch the tire because it's just outside of the main contact area; I can sell you this tire..
Oh yeah, been there done that.

Glad you brought this up. Gonna get a kit tomorrow. I owe you a beer! (drinks)

Here's something that you may not believe: the big tire dealer in my town FIXES FLATS FOR FREE, even if you didn't buy your tires from them. Best customer relations policy in the world! (headbang)

It comes with a rubber cement tube.. but I would buy the jar for like $5 because after you use it for one strip (repair) you probably won't have anymore. And it's not enough for piece of mind.

X001-Y002.jpg

Except I use a lot more cement and I use it on the hole before I put the wet plug in, and after it's in and clipped.

Last edited:
It comes with a rubber cement tube.. but I would buy the jar for like $5 because after you use it for one strip (repair) you probably won't have anymore. And it's not enough for piece of mind.

X001-Y002.jpg

Except I use a lot more cement and I use it on the hole before I put the wet plug in, and after it's in and clipped.

Been using these for years, they work great, but be sure to get a proper repair later on. The canned slime? Eh, wouldn't consider it if you have in the tire pressure monitors. Also, the guy who's going to plug up that leak after you slime it is going to curse you big time, that stuff is ultra messy

https://www.tireindustry.org/tire-maintenance/tire-repair

Last edited:
Been using these for years, they work great, but be sure to get a proper repair later on. The canned slime? Eh, wouldn't consider it if you have in the tire pressure monitors. Also, the guy who's going to plug up that leak after you slime it is going to curse you big time, that stuff is ultra messy

https://www.tireindustry.org/tire-maintenance/tire-repair

I've never noticed a mess inside an old tire after replacing them.. there is pretty much no mess to be had because nothing is freely in the tire, and you aren't shooting liquid inside( this is not like an liquid filled inner tube in a bicycle tire) unless the unlikely situation that the plug came loose and fell in.

I've never noticed a mess inside an old tire after replacing them.. there is pretty much no mess to be had because nothing is freely in the tire, and you aren't shooting liquid inside( this is not like an liquid filled inner tube in a bicycle tire) unless the unlikely situation that the plug came loose and fell in.

I said the CANNED slime, stuff you squirt int the tire to hopefully stop up the leak with goop, don't know if they still make this stuff but was popular quite a few years ago. I had quite a few tires apart that people squirted this stuff into, stuff is a mess. I'm not talking about the slime plugs.

I would not do this. You're probably going to have to get back on pavement to get air so know you're risking a blowout driving on concrete or asphalt with very underinflated tires.

I think they'll be fine. I went Jeeping with my cousin and his Jeep brigade in Moab a few years ago. They all put their tires pretty low and they never bothered to fill them back up until we actually left to go home. They were like that for days for not just the Jeep trails, but going around town and up and down the highway a bit.

Back