2017~2024 Locked inside?

Henry1966

:
2018 cx-5
New Mazda owner 2018 CX-5 grand touring - happened to experience what I must believe is just a weird coincidence - opened the rear hatch to place some items inside...pressed the hatch close button and then proceeded to untie my muddy boots and while doing so inadvertently placed my hand such that my pinky finger was in the path of the hatch...well it closed upon the finger - it left an imprint but not terrible and not enough to reverse the hatch but it did beep I think...I reached into my pocket for my fob and opened the hatch and put my boots inside and closed the hatch...went to open the driver door and it was locked...tried the fob and it did not unlock...the wife pressed the unlock button on the inside and it would not unlock (she also had her fob inside)...finally had to use the mechanical key from the fob to unlock the door - is this something that I did or is there a way to avoid this? It seems that the passengers would not be able to get out based on what we experienced.
Thank you

Lol, was a story a few years ago, some woman called 911, she thought she locked herself in the car, FOB wasn't working either. Didn't realize all she had to do was push a button on the door.

If it makes you feel any better, it was 5 years of owning my CX-5 before I realized there was a little slot in the gas door to hold the gas cap when fueling.

So many years of it just dangling there. (drunk)

i have found that if the "immobilizer" is set (our alarm with no audible alarm) then the interior electric lock buttons do not work.

If it makes you feel any better, it was 5 years of owning my CX-5 before I realized there was a little slot in the gas door to hold the gas cap when fueling.

So many years of it just dangling there. (drunk)

Nifty feature that I also use (2thumbs)

Well maybe it wasn't all my doing...today it was -10 or so...went out to the CX-5 and opened the door, stepped on the brake and punched the starter...roared to life...walked away to go back inside and the vehicle beeped several times as it does when the key leaves proximity...however I forgot my gloves inside so I hit the unlock button on the fob...nothing. Touched the black door handle button (fob was in my hand) and nothing. Hit the lock, unlock, rear door and panic -nothing. Looked in the driver window and saw the display indicated "No key detected"...went inside and got the wife's fob...same thing on all counts...finally had to resort to the mechanical key to unlock it...the fob's are less than a year old so it can't be the batteries can it? Is it the cold? Worked fine the rest of the day. Thanks!

Well maybe it wasn't all my doing...today it was -10 or so...went out to the CX-5 and opened the door, stepped on the brake and punched the starter...roared to life...walked away to go back inside and the vehicle beeped several times as it does when the key leaves proximity...however I forgot my gloves inside so I hit the unlock button on the fob...nothing. Touched the black door handle button (fob was in my hand) and nothing. Hit the lock, unlock, rear door and panic -nothing. Looked in the driver window and saw the display indicated "No key detected"...went inside and got the wife's fob...same thing on all counts...finally had to resort to the mechanical key to unlock it...the fob's are less than a year old so it can't be the batteries can it? Is it the cold? Worked fine the rest of the day. Thanks!

Could be. I replace mine every 6 months.

Did you manually lock the car door from the interior door handle after you started it up? When I start my car, step back out and close the door, the car beeps to indicate that the key fob is out of range. My car doors remain unlocked, so can I unplug my block heater cord and put it away, then step back into the car and drive away.

Unless you manually locked the car door, the fob won't do anything when you hit unlock because it's already unlocked. Also, I don't think it will lock via keyfob if the car is on and has the auto-lock setting active. In order to manually lock the car while the ignition is on, it has to be done from the interior door handle (won't work via the exterior button). That would explain why pressing the button didn't do anything.

Last edited:
Do you have a silicone fob cover? It can block the signal. Mine wouldn't unlock until I removed the case. Need a new battery for a car built about 9 months ago.

I had no idea you could even lock the doors while running and the fob outside the vehicle. Most cars won't allow this, at least not easily. Something else to play around with.

I had no idea you could even lock the doors while running and the fob outside the vehicle. Most cars won't allow this, at least not easily. Something else to play around with.
Mine won't lock running with fob outside. Pain in the ass when I've visited my Dads apartment and wanted to leave the car warming up for a bit while I go back inside.

Actually I thought that it was a theft prevention issue - I know our municipality has an ordinance that mandates you cannot leave a running vehicle unattended...so this was a way to provide theft protection while warming up the vehicle

Actually I thought that it was a theft prevention issue - I know our municipality has an ordinance that mandates you cannot leave a running vehicle unattended...so this was a way to provide theft protection while warming up the vehicle

I mean, perhaps that's the case. I grew up in the mountains where we did that all the time, but neighbors were also far away and not really any traffic through there.

So yeah, I can see that.

Back