Boosting My P5 Potentially

:
2003 Mazda Protege5
So, although I just got the MP3 ECU, the end goal is to boost my Protege5. My concern is it has almost 240k miles. What is everyone's opinion on boosting a motor with that many miles?
The only aftermarket item would be a FMIC

From what I know, if you're boosting it you'd have to use the MSP ECU. The MP3 is what you want for best NA power.

if it's well taken care for and in good shape, boost the stock engine. install an oil pressure gauge beforehand to see where it stands and get someone to do a compression test.

if it's well taken care for and in good shape, boost the stock engine. install an oil pressure gauge beforehand to see where it stands and get someone to do a compression test.

I just ordered a compression tester. How hard is it to install an oil pressure gauge?

I just ordered a compression tester. How hard is it to install an oil pressure gauge?

not hard. get an electronic one with a sender, not a mechanical one. mechanical ones run an actual oil line into the car to the gauge. i'm not cool with that haha. FYI, you can tee into where the current stock oil sensor goes into the block or you can just leave the stock one hanging which is what i did. it won't throw a CEL. from what I hear, the stock one doesn't trigger the oil light on the dash until it hits 5psi or something low like that. basically too late by the time you see the light.

this is what i run: https://www.jegs.com/i/Auto-Meter/1...MIyfOpy_WI3gIVGFYNCh1tHgRpEAQYAiABEgJCY_D_BwE

Last edited:
... from what I hear, the stock one doesn't trigger the oil light on the dash until it hits 5psi or something low like that. basically too late by the time you see the light.

3-9 PSI for my stock spec. replacement.

3-9 PSI might be OK when the car is warmed up and idling but not good when you're winding up the engine.
The oil pressure gauge makes a lot of sense.

Last edited:
If you do use a "T" make sure the metal of the oil pressure sensor is grounded to the engine or the pressure gauge won't operate properly.
(it uses the engine as a ground wire)

I remember one guy that installed an oil pressure/temperature gauge and used a "squash plate" between the oil filter and the engine to get his readings.

Apparently, getting your readings from this point is more accurate.

or what pcb said, get a sandwich plate. i forgot about that option.

haha I like the first sandwich plate option a little more than the second, but I don't think the car will agree.
I'm running compression check later today once I get back from the DMV

Ignore me asking to feed the turbo. I just realized why that wouldnt work 🤦🏾*♂️ but i guess Im asking can a sandwich plate potentially feed the cooler and have another fitting for a pressure sensor

I know very little about turbos and mods,.. Perhaps 323 has an answer for you.

You*ll want a thermostatic sandwich plate if you plan to add an oil cooler. Some have ports that accept oil pressure sensors

Where is the stock low oil pressure sensor? I might just get the oil supply from that. I read that getting it from the sandwich plate feeds the turbo unfiltered oil. Which is a nogo IMO

Back