Thread: Add navigation to 2014 CX-5 Sport: factory vs aftermarket

2007 3i & 2014 CX-5

Add navigation to 2014 CX-5 Sport: factory vs aftermarket

So I had every intent to add the factory navigation system to my 2014 CX-5, but I'm reading up on some of the nicer aftermarket units and I'm stuck trying to decide. My car has the lowest-possible radio (no dash speakers, no touch screen, no Bluetooth controls on the steering wheel). I've gone through the factory service manual and have a pretty solid idea of the various parts I need to add for the factory unit. Does anybody have any recommendations for aftermarket units? Any install experience? Issues?
    Jon J.

2007 Mazda 3i Sport 2.0/5MT
    2014 Mazda CX-5 Sport 2.0/6MT

Registered Member
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 GT FWD, 2015 Mazda 3 Touring

Are you really hitched to the idea of a built in? Waze on a mounted phone is wonderful and no cost or hassle other than the mount.

Registrierte Benutzer Chris_Top_Her's Avatar
    Donated: $45
    CX Moderator

'15 CX-5 Miata GT AWD w/Tech 2.5L

Welcome to the forum.. moved to the relevant "infotainment" section

ZOOOOOOOOOM ZOOOOOOOOOOOM mazdadude's Avatar

'16.5 Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD, '05 PRIUS

Quote Originally Posted by jonnymopar View Post
    So I had every intent to add the factory navigation system to my 2014 CX-5, but I'm reading up on some of the nicer aftermarket units and I'm stuck trying to decide. My car has the lowest-possible radio (no dash speakers, no touch screen, no Bluetooth controls on the steering wheel). I've gone through the factory service manual and have a pretty solid idea of the various parts I need to add for the factory unit. Does anybody have any recommendations for aftermarket units? Any install experience? Issues?
    In your situation, with the Sport and no touchscreen, I would lean towards an aftermarket unit myself. Tech has come a long way, and with the aftermarket unit you will get all the benefits of the android/carplay/mp3/Bluetooth/etc.
    Mazda's I have owned over the years. (boom07)
    80' Mazda GLC SPORT MT - sold
    81' Mazda 626 DX MT - sold
    81' Mazda 626 LX AT - sold
    82' Mazda 626 DX MT - sold
    82' Mazda 626 LX AT - sold
    85' Mazda 626 LX MT - sold
    87' Mazda 626 GT Turbo MT - sold
    85' Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE MT- sold
    87' Mazda RX-7 Turbo 2 MT - sold
    91' Mazda Protege LX MT - sold
    92' Mazda MX-5 Miata MT - sold
    93' Mazda MX-3 GS-V6 Special Edition MT - sold
    00' Mazda 626 LX-V6 MT - sold
    02.5' Mazda Protege5 MT - sold
    92' Mazda MX-5 Miata MT - sold
    06' Mazda 5 Touring AT - sold
    13' Mazda CX-5 Touring AT - sold
    14' Mazda 3i Grand Touring MT - sold
    15' Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD AT - sold
    03' Mazda Protege5 AT - sold
    16.5' Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD AT - current
    09' Mazda Mazdaspeed3 GT - current

2007 3i & 2014 CX-5

I would really like an in-dash unit. I'm just trying to sort out options. The mazdatweaks upgrade is a nod toward staying factory, but I haven't totally decided yet.

As for aftermarket, I've seen adapters where you can keep your steering wheel controls, which is a huge plus for me. I've seen some cheesy mounting kits, but I like the ones I've seen on the CX-5 so far. Looks clean enough for me.

I did read an extensive thread about a Pioneer unit that looked pretty nice. Anybody have some aftermarket recommendations? It's a real shame that Eonon doesn't make a unit for this car because that's what I plan on putting in my 3.
    Last edited by jonnymopar; 10-14-2018 at 09:31 PM.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

Mazda CX-5

The Tom-Tom based system in the '14s and '15s is worse than dismal. Get a nice LMT Garmin with a big touch screen. It will be so much nicer.

Registrierte Benutzer Chris_Top_Her's Avatar
    Donated: $45
    CX Moderator

'15 CX-5 Miata GT AWD w/Tech 2.5L

I've been wanting a new HU. But I can't justify spending $300usd+ when I look at what that could get in performance
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring

I have a Kenwood DNN991HD, it is OK, but pretty slow to start, lost messaging feature that the factory had.
    I wouldn't spend as Chris said, more than $300 on something like this.
    I have just installed a DNX573S for my wife, it has the 6.2" screen and feels much faster than mine.
    Kenwoods, have Garmin navigation in them.
    I would look for craigslist, Offerup for a preowned one, if I would have to buy another one.
    The DNX573S, I have managed to get it, for $120. It was still new, but opened box. It was missing the GPS antenna, which is less than $20 on the bay.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Top_Her View Post
    I've been wanting a new HU. But I can't justify spending $300usd+ when I look at what that could get in performance
    Each to thier own. If I didn't love my HU it would be worth it at twice that price to me.

Registered Member

2017 CX-5 GT AWD

Quote Originally Posted by 7eregrine View Post
    Each to thier own. If I didn't love my HU it would be worth it at twice that price to me.
    I have to agree. Knowing there are trim kits and steering control boxes, I would replace the older unit without thinking twice. $500 or more is worth it to me for good in car connectivity. I am happy that I have one of the newer CMU though.

2007 3i & 2014 CX-5

I think if I can get everything to fully integrate (steering wheel controls not only for volume/mute/track/etc, but also hands-free calling), then I might go aftermarket. The Kenwood unit previously suggested really looks like a nice one. It's going to cost me a pretty good amount of money either way.

This CX-5 is mainly my wife's driver, so the connectivity features mean more than performance at this point. My Mazda3 is a different story.

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring

The Kenwood, has a separate button for voice commands, but to tell you the truth, I never use it.