Add navigation to 2014 CX-5 Sport: factory vs aftermarket

:
2007 3i & 2014 CX-5
So I had every intent to add the factory navigation system to my 2014 CX-5, but I'm reading up on some of the nicer aftermarket units and I'm stuck trying to decide. My car has the lowest-possible radio (no dash speakers, no touch screen, no Bluetooth controls on the steering wheel). I've gone through the factory service manual and have a pretty solid idea of the various parts I need to add for the factory unit. Does anybody have any recommendations for aftermarket units? Any install experience? Issues?

Are you really hitched to the idea of a built in? Waze on a mounted phone is wonderful and no cost or hassle other than the mount.

Welcome to the forum.. moved to the relevant "infotainment" section

So I had every intent to add the factory navigation system to my 2014 CX-5, but I'm reading up on some of the nicer aftermarket units and I'm stuck trying to decide. My car has the lowest-possible radio (no dash speakers, no touch screen, no Bluetooth controls on the steering wheel). I've gone through the factory service manual and have a pretty solid idea of the various parts I need to add for the factory unit. Does anybody have any recommendations for aftermarket units? Any install experience? Issues?

In your situation, with the Sport and no touchscreen, I would lean towards an aftermarket unit myself. Tech has come a long way, and with the aftermarket unit you will get all the benefits of the android/carplay/mp3/Bluetooth/etc.

I would really like an in-dash unit. I'm just trying to sort out options. The mazdatweaks upgrade is a nod toward staying factory, but I haven't totally decided yet.

As for aftermarket, I've seen adapters where you can keep your steering wheel controls, which is a huge plus for me. I've seen some cheesy mounting kits, but I like the ones I've seen on the CX-5 so far. Looks clean enough for me.

I did read an extensive thread about a Pioneer unit that looked pretty nice. Anybody have some aftermarket recommendations? It's a real shame that Eonon doesn't make a unit for this car because that's what I plan on putting in my 3.

Last edited:
The Tom-Tom based system in the '14s and '15s is worse than dismal. Get a nice LMT Garmin with a big touch screen. It will be so much nicer.

I've been wanting a new HU. But I can't justify spending $300usd+ when I look at what that could get in performance

I have a Kenwood DNN991HD, it is OK, but pretty slow to start, lost messaging feature that the factory had.
I wouldn't spend as Chris said, more than $300 on something like this.
I have just installed a DNX573S for my wife, it has the 6.2" screen and feels much faster than mine.
Kenwoods, have Garmin navigation in them.
I would look for craigslist, Offerup for a preowned one, if I would have to buy another one.
The DNX573S, I have managed to get it, for $120. It was still new, but opened box. It was missing the GPS antenna, which is less than $20 on the bay.

I've been wanting a new HU. But I can't justify spending $300usd+ when I look at what that could get in performance
Each to thier own. If I didn't love my HU it would be worth it at twice that price to me.

Each to thier own. If I didn't love my HU it would be worth it at twice that price to me.

I have to agree. Knowing there are trim kits and steering control boxes, I would replace the older unit without thinking twice. $500 or more is worth it to me for good in car connectivity. I am happy that I have one of the newer CMU though.

I think if I can get everything to fully integrate (steering wheel controls not only for volume/mute/track/etc, but also hands-free calling), then I might go aftermarket. The Kenwood unit previously suggested really looks like a nice one. It's going to cost me a pretty good amount of money either way.

This CX-5 is mainly my wife's driver, so the connectivity features mean more than performance at this point. My Mazda3 is a different story.

The Kenwood, has a separate button for voice commands, but to tell you the truth, I never use it.

Back