Heated seat not so hot

:
2018 Mazda CX-9 GT
Front passenger heated seat is suddenly not working . Bought car in Feb of this year & my wife raved about the heated seats last winter. Finally was cold enough for the first time to use this year. My seat & both rear seat heaters are working.front passenger back gets slightly warm & bottom of seat remains cold no matter what setting. Anyone having this issue ? Have a 2018 GT w/ 6800 miles.

Last edited:
Front passenger heated seat is suddenly not working . Bought car in Feb of this year & my wife raved about the heated seats last winter. Finally was cold enough for the first time to use this year. My seat & both rear seat heaters are working.front passenger back gets slightly warm & bottom of seat remains cold no matter what setting. Anyone having this issue ? Have a 2018 GT w/ 6800 miles.

I would contact the dealer. Does not seem like a common issue.

Well, I have a '12. And I do feel like sometimes the seat doesn't feel so hot. But other times it does. So you may have a similar problem in the newer gen. Since you are still under warranty, definitely take it in and have them check it.

plan on calling deal this week to set up an appointment. this is my first car with heated seats & wasn't sure if maybe it was a heating element issue & if it was common for cars in general with heated seats

plan on calling deal this week to set up an appointment. this is my first car with heated seats & wasn't sure if maybe it was a heating element issue & if it was common for cars in general with heated seats

I will say that in general, Mazda seat heaters are modest. They heat up but won't be burning hot.

Usually, every heated seat I've been in makes me feel like I'm sitting in warm u-know-what. If you don't get that feeling, I would definitely get that checked out. Hope your dealer experience goes well!

Last edited:
well went to dealer today, they said they traced circuit & had no signal from F BCM (whatever part that is). they cleaned & tightened terminal & marked as seat armed up to 85 degrees. NOW, since I originally planned to drop car off & get a rental (this dealer does not offer courtesy car), i didn't expect to be there long, but since they still had to take apart to see if it needed parts i waited. Of course my work had issues while out so i needed to get back to office, they explained what they did, but i forgot to check myself. put Hand on back of seat, felt warm, but the seat cushion still felt semi-cold. (my seat feels pretty warm/hot on both back & seat). got to work & sat in passenger seat, back was good, but seat was not, I guess i will need to go drop on Saturday am so I'm not in a rush with work

well went to dealer today, they said they traced circuit & had no signal from F BCM (whatever part that is). they cleaned & tightened terminal & marked as seat armed up to 85 degrees. NOW, since I originally planned to drop car off & get a rental (this dealer does not offer courtesy car), i didn't expect to be there long, but since they still had to take apart to see if it needed parts i waited. Of course my work had issues while out so i needed to get back to office, they explained what they did, but i forgot to check myself. put Hand on back of seat, felt warm, but the seat cushion still felt semi-cold. (my seat feels pretty warm/hot on both back & seat). got to work & sat in passenger seat, back was good, but seat was not, I guess i will need to go drop on Saturday am so I'm not in a rush with work

I have the same exact issue w/ the passenger front seat heater. 2018 CX-9 GT. must be a common issue on these models. smh.

Strange.
This won't help you much, but since 2002, every car I've owned has had heated seats, and non of them ever quit working. Lucky I guess.
It's a pain to have to deal with it, but you have to go through your dealership to get it resolved while under warranty.
My 2017 6 has heated seats, and being in the frozen North, I can honestly say they warm up really well, so I would think your seats would be the same.

Same here. 2018 cx9 touring. Front passenger seat no longer heating. Dealer claims that warmer is subtle and this is normal behavior. Dealer also says driver side heats more than passenger side. Both of these sound questionable. Even in warm South Florida, my family still enjoys the seat warmers. Frustrating.

update: i did take the car back to the dealer, & they determined they needed to replace the heating pad for the bottom part of the passenger seat, couple of days later (they did give me a loaner) it was fixed & my wife was happy......(happy wife = happy life)

I checked them all when I bought my 2018 GT but I will now check the passenger again. I know the drivers seat works because it stays on when you turn off the car so when I get back in it reminds me I left it on quickly. Plenty warm on high for my tastes and it come-on fairly quick.

I checked them all when I bought my 2018 GT but I will now check the passenger again. I know the drivers seat works because it stays on when you turn off the car so when I get back in it reminds me I left it on quickly. Plenty warm on high for my tastes and it come-on fairly quick.

Wait, your seat warmer stays on when the car is off?

I also had a problem with front passenger seat warmer not working....5,000 miles..."internal seat heater malfunction". Dealer removed / replaced seat back and seat cushion warmers (Heater and pad). 2018 CX-9 GT

Same issue here. Just bought a 2019 CX9, CPO with 7k miles. The lumbar part of the driver's side seat barely heats up, and the bottom of the passenger seat takes forever to even get a tiny bit of heat in it.

Dealer took the car, gave me a loaner 2019 CX9 with 3k miles. Both seats in the loaner seemed to heat up quickly, to the same temp, in all places.

Dealer gave me my car back, said driver's seat was 106 degrees, lumbar was 113, passenger seat was 113, passenger lumbar was 126. They provided a page from their shop manual that said the driver's seat should be 100 to 104, and the passenger seat should be 98 to 102. They refused to replace any parts, even though my seats are clearly way out of the acceptable range. I told them that we will no longer be taking either of our cars to them for service.

It's very disappointing. Mazda is never going to be a "premium" brand if they can't fix their quality issues. I also suspect the dealers are pulling backhanded tricks, like swapping broken seats to other cars (as referenced in the CX5 heated seats thread).

This will be my last Mazda. if I'm going to pay this much, I'm going to get seats that work, and dealers that fix obvious problems.

Dealer gave me my car back, said driver's seat was 106 degrees, lumbar was 113, passenger seat was 113, passenger lumbar was 126. They provided a page from their shop manual that said the driver's seat should be 100 to 104, and the passenger seat should be 98 to 102. They refused to replace any parts, even though my seats are clearly way out of the acceptable range. I told them that we will no longer be taking either of our cars to them for service.

While I'm no fan of auto dealers or their rip-off service departments full of marginally qualified individuals, you may have jumped the gun a tad on flaming the poor lads. Resistive seat heaters are not rocket science (not a quality system subject to closed loop PID control) and the 'range' of acceptable temps is merely an indicator subject to the measuring device's accuracy, and, the method of acquiring said measurement. Highly unlikely they have a precision calibrated temperature probe traceable to NIST or some other certifying body. Did their methodology exactly match the manner in which the acceptable range was determined? I don't have the procedure at hand...Heating element installed in cushion, or sitting on a bench? Probe on the outside of the seat, or installed within the cushion next to the element? Car running or not? Amount of voltage applied to the circuit will change heat output. Ohm's Law. Voltage will be different depending upon running or not and then the condition of the battery. Vastly different outcomes will be had. So, you see, it's very likely their numbers would be skewed a bit.

Here's my test...heater engaged, ass hot...it's working, good to go...pick yer battles with the dealer. The fact they even went so far as to measure temps, of both seats no less, impresses me.

Same issue here. Just bought a 2019 CX9, CPO with 7k miles. The lumbar part of the driver's side seat barely heats up, and the bottom of the passenger seat takes forever to even get a tiny bit of heat in it.

Dealer took the car, gave me a loaner 2019 CX9 with 3k miles. Both seats in the loaner seemed to heat up quickly, to the same temp, in all places.

It's very disappointing. Mazda is never going to be a "premium" brand if they can't fix their quality issues. I also suspect the dealers are pulling backhanded tricks, like swapping broken seats to other cars (as referenced in the CX5 heated seats thread).

This will be my last Mazda. if I'm going to pay this much, I'm going to get seats that work, and dealers that fix obvious problems.
I have a passenger seat heater issue on my 2020 Touring. I plan to get it fixed under warranty. Mazdas are still good cars. BUT, you need to find a Mazda dealer with a good service dept. I had an awful experience with my 5000 mile first oil change. I have since found a new dealer that has a great service dept.

Update from 2018 post that said I had no problems with heated seats in my 6.
Last year my driver's seat stopped heating up. The back rest was OK.
Heat element went bad for some reason.
Dealer didn't hesitate to replace the seat cushion that contains the heater elements.
No charge under warranty. So far this year, no issues.

Thank you for the update. I plan to get the seat heater looked at, under warranty. I think a new heat pad is required to fix the problem. Cheers.

Put wife in rear seat,- issue solved. :)

Back