2016 CX-5 Sport rear pads question

:
2016 Mazda CX-5 Sport
I just took my '16 CX-5 Sport to my mechanic to get the rear disc pads replaced. I told my mechanic it was a '16 model but he said he looked at the date of manufacture on the door label which is 4/15 to order the rear pads. So, looks like he might have ordered for 2015 model year.

So I looked up rear brake pads for both the 2015 and 2016 models. It looks like the 2015 uses the 1624 model.. The 2016 rear brakes are the 1846 model.

Pauls Travel Pictures brake job guide makes it seem like the 1624 rear pads can be used for CX-5 from 2013-16 model years. Am I ok if the mechanic used the 1624 rear pads? The brakes seem to work fine.

The rear brakes for 2016 CX-5 have Electrical Parking Brake but not on prior CX-5's. 2016 CX-5 started selling in February 2015 and the build date can be as early as December 2014. If you found different part numbers for whatever the brand, you should use the one designated to 2016 MY.

If the brake shop you chose didn't aware your CX-5 is a 2016 MY simply by the EPB, I believe chances are they screwed up the rear pad installation without putting the EPB in maintenance mode and turned the caliper cylinders!

HELP! Can't get the rear brake piston to compress! 2016 CX5m

The rear brakes for 2016 CX-5 have Electrical Parking Brake but not on prior CX-5's. 2016 CX-5 started selling in February 2015 and the build date can be as early as December 2014. If you found different part numbers for whatever the brand, you should use the one designated to 2016 MY.

If the brake shop you chose didn't aware your CX-5 is a 2016 MY simply by the EPB, I believe chances are they screwed up the rear pad installation without putting the EPB in maintenance mode and turned the caliper cylinders!

HELP! Can't get the rear brake piston to compress! 2016 CX5m

So would installing the 2015 rear pads on a 2016 CX-5 sport mess up the braking system? Would the dashboard throw a warning or malfunction code? Is it safe to drive with 2015 rear pads?

So would installing the 2015 rear pads on a 2016 CX-5 sport mess up the braking system? Would the dashboard throw a warning or malfunction code? Is it safe to drive with 2015 rear pads?
It depends on which brand of pads installed. In OP's situation I'd go back to the brake shop making sure they installed 2016 pads. Most brake shops offer lifetime warranty on pads, and they should replace the wrong pads for free. A friendly reminder of EPB maintenance mode and not turning the rear caliper piston helps the mechanic doing the job right.

2016 CX-5 Sport rear pads used KAY0-26-48z

It depends on which brand of pads installed. In OP's situation I'd go back to the brake shop making sure they installed 2016 pads. Most brake shops offer lifetime warranty on pads, and they should replace the wrong pads for free. A friendly reminder of EPB maintenance mode and not turning the rear caliper piston helps the mechanic doing the job right.

So I messaged my mechanic and he said he used the following Mazda Cx-5 sport rear brake pads: KAY0-26-48Z

This seems to be an original Mazda pads. However, when I look at the actual brake pads that are installed in the rear they say:

DB928FF
G1624 08D1A18

So is this equivalent to the KAY-26-48Z part number? Is this how Mazda stamps them on the actual brake pads?

Also, took the vehicle to the mechanic and he followed the instructions for the maintenance mode, etc.

So I messaged my mechanic and he said he used the following Mazda Cx-5 sport rear brake pads: KAY0-26-48Z

This seems to be an original Mazda pads. However, when I look at the actual brake pads that are installed in the rear they say:

DB928FF
G1624 08D1A18

So is this equivalent to the KAY-26-48Z part number? Is this how Mazda stamps them on the actual brake pads?

Also, took the vehicle to the mechanic and he followed the instructions for the maintenance mode, etc.
The OEM part number given is correct. But it's hard to tell if the OEM part number would be stamped on the pads themselves. If you really want to verify it, you can go to your Mazda dealer having the parts guy to pull out the OEM pads and check.

just a heads up you guys, I didn't properly align the caliper notch with the pin on the rear pads and got a loud metal clunking sound when braking.

I disassembled the brakes and found out what I did wrong, I didn't do the slight adjustment to line the caliper notch with the pad pin..

Is there a visual mark of where the notches have to be ? It's a blind mate when the caliper goes over the pads so there's no visual to make sure they are exactly lined up... thoughts ?

attachment.php

Sidenote: I find the OEM brake pads (the ones made from Japan, not the Mazda Value ones) to be the best in stopping power,
I tried the Wagner Thermoquiet Ceramic pads , although they were quiet, I found them to have very subpar stopping power and they felt mushy when braking hard

Mazda 2016 CX-5 front pads (Made in Japan) K0Y1-33-28ZA
Mazda 2016 CX-5 rear pads (Made in Japan) KAY0-26-48Z

attachment.php

The OEM part number given is correct. But it's hard to tell if the OEM part number would be stamped on the pads themselves. If you really want to verify it, you can go to your Mazda dealer having the parts guy to pull out the OEM pads and check.

So, you used the "KAY0-26-48Z" for the rear? Would you be able to look and see what is stamped on the actual pad when visually looking at them? Just want to know if they match up with:

DB928FF
G1624 08D1A18

So, you used the "KAY0-26-48Z" for the rear? Would you be able to look and see what is stamped on the actual pad when visually looking at them? Just want to know if they match up with:

DB928FF
G1624 08D1A18
I do have new pads 7along with new rotors and revised rear calipers from an EPB TSB work under warranty. Unfortunately the CX-5 is wife's DD which is not available to me right now.

I do have new pads 7along with new rotors and revised rear calipers from an EPB TSB work under warranty. Unfortunately the CX-5 is wife's DD which is not available to me right now.

Whenever you get access to the CX-5, if you can confirm for me the stamped part # of the rear brakes.. Thanks.

Back