CX-5 Four way headrest, anything fit?

:
Mazda CX-5 GSX 2.2d 2017
The cx-5 seats are reasonably comfortable but the wife finds the headrests sit too far forward so tilts the seat back to compensate. ( her old BMW had some fore and aft adjustments)

Im reasonably sure the mazda headrests are designed to improve whiplash by having a small space between head and headrest, but this gap doesnt suit driver comfit in all cases.

Is anyone across any other headrest Mazda or otherwise that would bring 4 way option to the CX-5 seat.

I would like to find out about this as well. I'm the other way around, I'm laying in there, so the headrest is way too far from my head.

Not that your immediate problem is solved, but the head restraints DO install in reverse, This would resolve the comfort issue.

Brian

In the case where you wife finds the head rest too close to her, she can adjust it, here is how.

Simply lower the back of the seat a bit so that you can fully remove the head rest. Hold the button in until it is completely free of the seat back. Then reverse it and put it back into the holes.

It will sit quite a bit farther back now, however, it will no longer lock into place, meaning it cannot be adjusted to sit higher and notch into place.

This should not be a problem since in the event of a rear ender, there is no reason for the headrest to pop up and out.

Oops, sorry bamirault, I just noticed that you already responded to this post yesterday. Better put my glasses on.:)

Last edited:
Thanks

Will try around other way.

Also have noticed that my bmw e46 m3 headrest have a similar spacing. Will try and see if they fit on the weekend and will report back

Due to current design and position my wife has the seat inclined back to the point when the headrest distance would be greater distance than turning the headrest around. Turning it around would be a better step in the right direction.

The irony is she noticed that the current headrest is a problem for her on the test drive , but thought she could simply adjust to suit her posture as per her previous couple of decades of BMW ownership. Had we checked on this more closely before ordering new the brand outcome would have been different.

Hopefully I can find an alternative headrest from another brand to address the issue. It*s quite a shame that a small design feature is missing from the Mazda range. No doubt this lwill determine the vechiles replacement

I*m not effected by it with my shorter torso and Homer Simpson type posture , but don*t get to drive the CX-5 much

Last edited:
Have you considered trying headrests from other Mazda's such as from the 3 (uhm)

AFAIK they are all not the same in terms of design.

Should fit into the slots on the seat and maybe help.

Have you considered trying headrests from other Mazda's such as from the 3 (uhm)

AFAIK they are all not the same in terms of design.

Should fit into the slots on the seat and maybe help.

Could be a solution. Will have a look at the local dealership.
Wife made a good suggestion which was to get the foam shaved by half it*s depth.
I tried my m3 headrest in the mazda. But pole distance out by 1/4 inch or so.

A guy on YouTube explains the issue she has quite well . A rather unorthodox solution as well. But he right on the button in terms of a cheap way that mazda has implemented anti whiplash into the seats.
https://youtu.be/lWJ4lDIS6SU

I*ll continue to look for a replacement solution and fall back to shaving the foam to a position that is comfortable for her without tilting her head forward.

What about rear seat middle headrest. It's smaller here than regular headrest

Update / solved

Brought another set of headrests with an aim of shaving the foam on the drivers face of headrests.
I asked for faux leather ones as per the wife*s gsx. But by mistake we got sent the leather wrapped ones from a Ltd model.
I*m looking closely at the leather ones and notice a slightly different profile and a much softer face.
The wife had now been able to move the seat to a more upright position and longer has her head tilted forward like the gsx set. She will run like this for a bit longer and then I get the leather ones reupholstered to match seats if no further issues.

Pic 1 Narrower headrest from ltd model on right
Pic 2 standard gsx headrest pushing wife head slightly forward

Attachments

• IMG_4008.jpg
    IMG_4008.jpg
    316.9 KB · Views: 315
  • IMG_3231.jpg
    IMG_3231.jpg
    409.3 KB · Views: 294
Last edited:
Just found this thread and having the same issue. Can you share where you purchased the new headrests and clarify what you bought, please? If anyone else can make a similar suggestion, it would be much appreciated. Love the car but the current headrest is untenable. Thanks.

Just found this thread and having the same issue. Can you share where you purchased the new headrests and clarify what you bought, please? If anyone else can make a similar suggestion, it would be much appreciated. Love the car but the current headrest is untenable. Thanks.
Been driving for a year now and same problem. Doesn't appear it's worth it for anyone to make aftermarkets. Gonna try reversing trick mentioned above.

Back