CorkSport.com is MAZDA PERFORMANCE!
CorkSport.com is MAZDA PERFORMANCE!

Thread: JDM FS-DE question

2002 Protegé5 manual

JDM FS-DE question

Hey guys, my car had a JDM FS-DE swapped in by the PO, and apparently that means it has a different intake cam and higher compression (9.7:1). At that compression, should I be running 87, 89, or 91 octane fuel with a stock USDM FS-DE ECU? Also, my knowledge of cams is limited, so if anyone can explain the differences and pros/cons between the JDM and USDM intake cams, that would be awesome

Registered Member NaturalFlavored's Avatar

Mazda P5

Uhm someone correct me if I'm wrong but it's pretty much the same as the usdm fs-de. The only different engine is the FS-ZE engine and needs the sensors swapped over to make it run but doesn't effect anything, except needs the MP3 ECU to run it.
    So if your looking for some kind of unknown answer to me your most likely running a stock engine with minimal changes. I always run 89 or 91 octane just because. I feel like I get better mpg with a stock car at 89 but thats just me.

Registered Member

BJII Astina SP20

I believe the JDM FSDE is different to the US FSDE. Different cams and higher compression.

Here in Australia we have the "JDM FSDE" standard in the 323 SP20 (98kW @ 6000rpm / 174Nm @ 4500rpm / 9.7:1 compression), and it requires 95 octane.
    Last edited by JazzySP20; 10-13-2018 at 01:58 AM.

2002 Protegé5 manual

Quote Originally Posted by JazzySP20 View Post
    I believe the JDM FSDE is different to the US FSDE. Different cams and higher compression.

Here in Australia we have the "JDM FSDE" standard in the 323 SP20 (98kW @ 6000rpm / 174Nm @ 4500rpm / 9.7:1 compression), and it requires 95 octane.
    95 octane!? jeez. I can't get higher than 91 in California, but I'll bet the ignition timing is set differently on the US ECU

83 RX-7 Gsl, 2000 Mazda Protege LX, 2011 Mazda3 Sport i

JDM FS-DE question

Quote Originally Posted by Anzi View Post
    95 octane!? jeez. I can't get higher than 91 in California, but I'll bet the ignition timing is set differently on the US ECU
    That user is from Australia where they don’t measure fuel with octane. I don’t know exactly how to do the maths but it’s not actually 95.

I read that the rating we use in the US is called AKI vs Australia where they use a RON rating.

So in the end a RON rating of 98 is real close to a AKI rating of 93 in the US. I would only assume that a 95 would be 91.
    Last edited by Corphish; 10-14-2018 at 02:09 AM.

Registered Member NaturalFlavored's Avatar

Mazda P5

But I want to know most likely as the OP, is the fsde engine different in jdm than usdm?
    I thought that's why the had the fsze... I know some engines differ like the 1.8L 626 etc etc but how different are they?
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

2002 Protegé5 manual

It would seem the FS-DE had 9.7:1 compression and a different intake cam outside of North American markets

Donated: $40

Mazda

I thought they got the FSZE or FP engines in other countries.
    Last edited by Natey; 10-15-2018 at 12:15 PM.
    NPOT (Norcal Protege Options Team)
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/335883...photo-gallery/

2002 Protegé5 manual

No the FS-DE exists in most markets it appears. But strangely, there is not much to suggest the -DE was sold in Japan, though my engine was imported from there...

Registered Member

2003 P5

I swapped one into my 03 P5 about 2 years ago that I got from JDM Place Houston. Thought it was a -ZE at first because it had the intake manifold with the resonance
    chamber on it, but when I pulled the valve cover to check the cams I found that they were FS1G castings, not FSH9. Best guess is that it came from an MPV because
    those are "torque" cams in Japan. After swapping my original USDM P5 cams into it, replacing the timing belt/gaskets/seals and swapping all my original sensors and
    harmonic balancer onto it, I installed it into my car. Kept the JDM intake manifold and rerouted the vacuum lines so it thinks the VTCS is still there (not used in JDM),
    it runs like a charm. Shortly afterwards I installed an MP3 ECU and now it pulls even harder at high RPM.
    Last edited by tlott01; 10-16-2018 at 11:57 PM. Reason: line breaks