Android Pie issue on CX-9 2018

malamute

:
Mazda CX-9 2018
Got CX-9 2018 equipped with Android Auto.
Worked great until Android Pie landed on my phone. From that moment CX-9 no longer mirrors the screen.
Dealership sends to mazda online support. Online support sends me back to dealer.

Anyone with Android phone on Pie version and using it with CX-9?
Any recommendations how to break this vicious cycle?

Thank you.

Hmmmm. I didn't think that 2018s had Android Auto. Is this aftermarket or did you mis-type 2019?

OP asked a question 2 weeks ago and disappeared.

The only phones with Pie is the Pixel 1,2, & 3. I have Pie on my Pixel but my '18 doesn't have Android Auto, as only '19's do unless he installed the aftermarket solution.

It's a very small amount of people out their who have both a Pixel phone and a 2019 CX-9.

OP asked a question 2 weeks ago and disappeared.

The only phones with Pie is the Pixel 1,2, & 3. I have Pie on my Pixel but my '18 doesn't have Android Auto, as only '19's do unless he installed the aftermarket solution.

It's a very small amount of people out their who have both a Pixel phone and a 2019 CX-9.

I have a Google Pixel and 2019 CX-9 and sadly I can confirm I also have the same issue with this vehicle. I believe this is an issue with Mazda's implementation of Android Auto, since my 2018 Audi Q7 does not have any compatibility issue and it's a year old. Hopefully Mazda will release a software update soon.

This is the serious problem with all cars today. Think about it, we have two systems released simultaneously (2019 CX-9 with Android Auto and Android Pie). And because the CX-9 doesn't have the up to the moment update even though it just came out, the systems don't run properly.

Now think about this. How in the world are these cars going to operate in 7, 8, 10 years when they still have plenty of life left? Do we really think automakers are going to do firmware updates 10 years after selling the car? Hell, the car will be alive in 15 years. What kind of phones will we have 15 years from now?

This is the serious problem with all cars today. Think about it, we have two systems released simultaneously (2019 CX-9 with Android Auto and Android Pie). And because the CX-9 doesn't have the up to the moment update even though it just came out, the systems don't run properly.

Now think about this. How in the world are these cars going to operate in 7, 8, 10 years when they still have plenty of life left? Do we really think automakers are going to do firmware updates 10 years after selling the car? Hell, the car will be alive in 15 years. What kind of phones will we have 15 years from now?

I do not believe the issue is with the version of Android Auto Mazda implemented but the way they implemented Android Auto. I think to get Android Auto out quickly Mazda took shortcuts and did not follow Google's specs. I say this because other auto makers with Android Auto implemented years back do not face issues with Android Pie but a brand new Mazda does. The goal of Android Auto is to use your phone to do the heavy lifting and have the car provide video output from phone, touch input and car sensor data like if headlights are on or car is in park. If implemented correctly the car should not have any problems years later since your phone will get Android Auto updates to make sure Android Auto offers the latest experience.

Last edited:
Has anybody been able to get a phone running Android Pie (9) to work with AA yet? I have a Pixel XL so I have Pie already. Not going to bother spending the money to upgrade to AA if I can't bloody well use it.

I have Pie (Pixel 2) and AA on my 2019. I don't fully understand what's the issue because I think mine is functioning correctly. Unless there is something missing that I don't know.

I have a Pixel XL with Android 9/Pie and have it working with the version of AA that I downloaded from mazdatweaks. I have not had any real issues with it (other than the occasional instance where AA does not start when I plug my phone in, but that is usually remedied by unplugging & plugging it back in).

Those of you with Android Pie on Pixel 3 and Android Auto, when you trigger Google Assistant to send text messages, does it work perfectly or does it have the 2 second audio delay causing the messages to not go through? I am contemplating retrofitting AA into my 2016 CX-9 and this is the thing I use most. Without AA integration, when I use the OK, Google hot word to trigger the assistant, the first second or 2 of the message is not played, then when the assistant is recording the message to be sent, it captures the last second or 2 of the playback audio. This is typical with most Johnson control BT systems which Mazda uses. Can I use the "Voice control" button to trigger Google Assistant with Mazda's AA implementation?

Thanks in advance!

Mazda CX-9 2019 model, Android Auto worked fine till updated phones to Pie version. Nothing works now.
Dealership had the same problem. Mazda HQ (Canada) confirmed that "it's a one big mess with Android Pie" and are looking into it. Frustrating to say the least.

has this been fixed? Have a Galaxy S8+ that is holding off updating to Pie due to this issue......

I emailed Mazda North America and they said a software update was released on May 1st. The version is 70.00.335C. Anyone confirmed this works with Android Pie?

I have the current firmware version with Android Pie and Android auto and everything is now working fine with Galaxy S8+ and Azami (Signature)

70.00.335C. I have it as well and no issues on Android Pie on my S8 and Pixel3.

Back