2017+ CX-5 Moose Test

The CX-5 used in the test this thread is about didnt have your mods. Not criticizing yours just saying from the factory it isnt that. And thats what this test is testing so whats the point in arguing about what it can be after all these mods. Again its not your car. Its a factory car which is what the vast majority of CX-5 owners have.

Also IMO a CUV is just a hatch or wagon thats been puffed up. Youve basically undone that for the suspension at least. I would argue you basically have a hatchback.

The CX-5 used in the test this thread is about didn*t have your mods. Not criticizing yours just saying from the factory it isn*t that. And that*s what this test is testing so what*s the point in arguing about what it can be after all these mods. Again it*s not your car. It*s a factory car which is what the vast majority of CX-5 owners have.

Also IMO a CUV is just a hatch or wagon that*s been puffed up. You*ve basically undone that for the suspension at least. I would argue you basically have a hatchback.

Even without modifications, the base CX-5 platform handles quite well. Before we bought ours, it was basically the handling and overall feel that made us pull the trigger over all the other CUV's out there that we test drove. These characteristics outweighed the lack of power compared to some of the competition for us. We enjoy cars that handle above average, so just because it is a CUV, the CX-5 does quite well, especially at it's price point.

That speed3 in front of me has 4.7" OEM ground clearance.. pretty sure it's OEM suspension. My car is as low or lower and not even much bigger.
OVCuSll.jpg

Wow, I always thought the CX-5 was built on the 3 platform. A pic like this seems to confirm it in my mind. Looking really good there Chris.

Since Mazda is trying o upscale, they need to start adding wider wheels to their stuff (bmw. audi)... these 7" wheels sacrifice on handling

Yeah, I should have thought about this when I bought tires in July. But in the future, what tire/wheel sizes should I be looking at for wider tires, and do you need to do anything special to make them fit?

Even without modifications, the base CX-5 platform handles quite well. Before we bought ours, it was basically the handling and overall feel that made us pull the trigger over all the other CUV's out there that we test drove. These characteristics outweighed the lack of power compared to some of the competition for us. We enjoy cars that handle above average, so just because it is a CUV, the CX-5 does quite well, especially at it's price point.

Totally agree and thats the point of this thread I think.

The Gen 1 had higher clearance but still handled really good. Essentially a lifted Mazda3 with more space.

Damn that stance though Chris^^^

Wow, I always thought the CX-5 was built on the 3 platform. A pic like this seems to confirm it in my mind.

Yup its basically a hatchback/wagon. I added wagon since it is longer but they do make it look more like a hatch with it being taller also.

Yup it*s basically a hatchback/wagon. I added wagon since it is longer but they do make it look more like a hatch with it being taller also.

You just trying to get a rise out of me with that wagon talk eh?

That's ok, I'm in a good mood today. (drinks)

Wow, I always thought the CX-5 was built on the 3 platform. A pic like this seems to confirm it in my mind. Looking really good there Chris.

Yeah, I should have thought about this when I bought tires in July. But in the future, what tire/wheel sizes should I be looking at for wider tires, and do you need to do anything special to make them fit?

I would go at least 8" width. 8.5 is a common size. 9 and wider is a bit much for the engine output imo. 255 width is good for 8.5

I would go at least 8" width. 8.5 is a common size. 9 and wider is a bit much for the engine output imo. 255 width is good for 8.5

Great, thanks Chris.

And sorry still a bit of a noob. Got the 255 width, what size tire would that be?

Last edited:
Since Mazda is trying o upscale, they need to start adding wider wheels to their stuff (bmw. audi)... these 7" wheels sacrifice on handling

I completely agree, but I doubt they're listening. An 8.5 would be awesome, but a 8in would totally suffice, and is what they should roll with...Crosses fingers.

Dude, your CX-5 is still one of the best looking out there...

Totally agree. It sucks ole girl won't let me lower ours as it's one of the main reasons she bought it as she was tired of feeling like the smallest and lowest car out there coming from a little coupe. She merely puts up with my toys, and I totally cringe when she drives them...lol

Yea I dont get why theyre using such skinny tires and wheels. 8 with at least 235 or 245 would be great.

Yea I don*t get why they*re using such skinny tires and wheels. 8* with at least 235 or 245 would be great.

For MPGs. If I had extra cash I'd put a 17 x 8.5 square look with a drop.

What size tires do you put on that size rims? Sorry I'm a noob when it comes to all the tire sizes.

There are online calculators that will tell you what profile to use when changing say the width so you maintain the same overall diameter. This way your speedometer and odometer remain accurate.

For example I currently have 225 55 19. I could go to a 245 50 19 on an 19x8 wheel.

Yea I don*t get why they*re using such skinny tires and wheels. 8* with at least 235 or 245 would be great.

Skinny tyres are better in snow, 225 is enough, Xtrail was great all round with 215 especially in snow.
And skinny tyres create less road noise, I noticed that when I tested the Tiguan, one version on 245 was a lot noisier than the 235 I've opted for (235/50/19)

Last edited:
There are online calculators that will tell you what profile to use when changing say the width so you maintain the same overall diameter. This way your speedometer and odometer remain accurate.

For example I currently have 225 55 19*. I could go to a 245 50 19* on an 19x8 wheel.

Ah ok. Thank you!

I drove my modded Toyota XRS for the past 15 years and was very familiar with how it handled at it's traction limits and how to respond when the car went into understeer and drifted. I never had a concern about rollover.

So now I have 19" wheels and a high center of gravity. More concern with rollovers. The 5 handles way better than the XRS and is in fact easier to drive. Pushing the boundaries of traction limits with a high center of gravity scares me. After watching the moose video that guy drove the 5 up on 3 wheels and did not R/O.

So I wonder with traction and stability controls left on, will the computer limit a lot of the R/O potential? The tires are finally scuffed and only once did I start to push cornering and felt some initial tire/chassis roll.

Agree on skinny snows. 17's would be better than 19's.

Back