Thread: 2017+ CX-5 Moose Test

2013 VRM Mazdaspeed3, 2016 Soul Red CX-5 GT

2017+ CX-5 Moose Test

Not sure if someone has already shared this, but the CX-5 in this article passed the moose test pretty convincingly, especially compared to other cars in this article. It does it with 1 wheel up on the air LOL. I honestly though it would topple over, but it seems pretty stable.

https://jalopnik.com/the-alpine-a110...amo-1829651499

Registered Member

2017 CX-5

I think the sports cars not doing as well is probably because there is a much higher threshold before intervention. A more skilled driver would probably do better.

2013 VRM Mazdaspeed3, 2016 Soul Red CX-5 GT

Quote Originally Posted by jthj View Post
    I think the sports cars not doing as well is probably because there is a much higher threshold before intervention. A more skilled driver would probably do better.
    Yes, but the moose test is for regular people trying to avoid a moose. You're supposed to be unprepared for it like in everyday driving. At least, that's what I think the test is for. So basically what the test shows, is that regular drivers will probably be able to avoid the moose and maintain control in a CX-5, versus most likely spinning out in the Alpine sports car. Porsche of course earns their reputation with the MR Cayman passing it convincingly as well.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

2013 Mazda CX-5

Back when Volvo was first introducing the XC-90, they held a demo day in the parking lot of a horse racetrack complete with a road course with different conditions to show off the strengths of the SUV. The Moose Test was one of obstacles with an lifesize dummy Moose. We had to go with a test driver and he would floor it and head right at the moose and then do the sharp left and right maneuvers to avoid it. That was fun. He said he got in trouble because he was killing the treads on the tires.

Registered Member

2017 CX-5

Quote Originally Posted by finch204 View Post
    Yes, but the moose test is for regular people trying to avoid a moose. You're supposed to be unprepared for it like in everyday driving. At least, that's what I think the test is for. So basically what the test shows, is that regular drivers will probably be able to avoid the moose and maintain control in a CX-5, versus most likely spinning out in the Alpine sports car. Porsche of course earns their reputation with the MR Cayman passing it convincingly as well.
    But if you tried to sell a sports car with the CX-5 stability control aggressiveness people would turn it off. And if you set it such that they could not you probably wouldnít sell very many.

Registered Member

2017 CX-5

The CX-5 is impressive though for sure.

Also itís worth noting that on the GTI and Iím assuming the Alpine the steering ratio is quicker so if youíre blinding yanking the wheel itís a much larger (too much) input.

Registered Member

CX5 2.5L AWD

Quote Originally Posted by jthj View Post
    But if you tried to sell a sports car with the CX-5 stability control aggressiveness people would turn it off. And if you set it such that they could not you probably wouldn*t sell very many.
    Its honestly not nearly as aggressive as many sports cars of yesyeryear. My ws.6 was a lot more likely to shut you down. The cx5 is pretty lenient for a little 4banger family car.

Registered Member

2017 CX-5

The more Iím thinking about this I think the ratio of the steering rack might have as much to do with this as the stability control if the driver is just carelessly yanking that wheel.