Possible to replace camera? (Pre-purchase question)

tangierc

:
2000 Mazda Protege ES
I am considering a 2018 Mazda 6 for my next vehicle. I've been doing a lot of reading and the rear camera seems to be severely lacking in quality. Is it possible to replace this camera? Are there any changes to the 2019 model year (which should be about now) whereas maybe this has been updated? This may replace a 2006 Acura TSX which has no camera so I suppose I can't complain, but my other vehicle is a 2013 Lexus which does have a pretty good one so that's my benchmark.

Oh for **** sake. Don't believe everything you read. What? You need 4k or something? The 360 cam is a bit weak but the rear camera is perfectly good. Niether is a reason to not buy, or try to mod it.
Go. Go get that car.

No I don't need 4K, albeit I am a veteran motion picture editor by profession and have a different sensibility about image fidelity. Though I also would rather not step down in features in a new car from something I already have in my Lexus. Doesn't matter at this point. I picked up a Volvo XC60. Nothing wrong with Mazda. Still one of my favorite brands. I've had two already and generations in my family have bought them. Couldn't commit to a body design though that is likely going out soon. Hands down though the 6 to me is the best value and designed sedan in the segment.

Love that Volvo. Good luck with it!
Although the 6 body style is new this year. It's not going away soon.

It's beyond week. It's virtually useless at night. You can't make out the curb from the street. Parallel parking is a nightmare.

Huh? My 2016 Mazda6 GT back up camera works well in my opinion. Never had the thought cross my mind that it sucks.

I have a 2017 and mine is fine. I wouldn't want to watch TV on it or anything, but it's it serves it's purpose without issue. Have those with issues tried adjusting it? You can adjust contrast, tint, etc by putting the car in R and pushing the main button (may be different procedure in other years/cars).

Last edited:
Things changed in 2018. Especially with the models that have 360 surround view. The rear view mode is wide angle and quite blurry. Switching to surround view mode narrows the angle and adds the predictive direction lines but reduces the image size. It's not the best I've seen compared to other cars.

Back