2017~2024 Oil change using a non-Skyactiv oil filter

I got what you meant the first time (spin). This is the first time I have tried being actively involved in a car enthusiast forum. Quickly learning that if it is not a right angle, it is a wrong angle (inout)

Take it with a grain of salt. Many "over-opinionated" posters on here. You'll soon learn to separate the bluss and blunder from the solid info!

there is also a noticeable SIZE difference between the 1WPE-14-302 and the PE01-14-302A-MV .

The 302MA is of a larger diameter, by about 2mm. Just changed the oil and replaced a "302A-MV" Mexico filter with a "302" Thailand filter and there is a definite size difference.

I can see just the outer part of the oil filter mating flange with the "302" filter installed. The flange was not visible with the "302-MV" installed. The gasket is the biggest different between the two and the thin o-ring on the "14-302" is much smaller than the flat gasket on the "302A".

I had plans on running my new filter for 7500 miles, but now I'm rethinking that decision.

I guess that is what I get for ordering off of Amazon. Lesson learned. Parts counter next time or the WIX.

Last edited:
I'm done trying to source affordable Thailand filter. I just went with Wix. If you can find the Thailand filters for $7ish bucks, great, if not, Wix can be found for what...$9ish? at O'Reilly pretty easily.

Glad i found this thread. Was going to ask the dealership about buying an oem filter but amazon has wix filters for 10 and change. The link in this thread for the oem Mazda filters says unavailable currently.

Glad i found this thread. Was going to ask the dealership about buying an oem filter but amazon has wix filters for 10 and change. The link in this thread for the oem Mazda filters says unavailable currently.
Ask the dealer if they have the Thailand filters and for how much. If they are around $7ish, I'd totally go that route.

I am hopeful but doubt it will be that cheap! The oil change at the dealer here runs about 90$ canadian so im trying to see if i can do it myself. I have a 2018 cx5 gt

I'm done trying to source affordable Thailand filter. I just went with Wix. If you can find the Thailand filters for $7ish bucks, great, if not, Wix can be found for what...$9ish? at O'Reilly pretty easily.

Thailand filters aplenty. I bought a few from Priority Mazda. You should also be able to order them from your dealer.
https://www.prioritymazdaparts.com/oem-parts/mazda-oil-filter-1wpe14302

https://www.mazdapartswebstore.com/...OIL-FILTER-Oil-filter/64206477/1WPE14302.html

Yeah my local dealer is charging like $12 for a value line filter...

Online, depends on shipping costs.
Your Mazda dealer is greedy. My Mazda dealer sells 1WPE-14-302 Thai oil filter at list, $8.25 each.

Some online sellers charge high shipping cost to compensate low prices. The price of Thai filter at Priority Mazda is $6.19 each which is 25% off the list. But the shipping is high:

1WPE-14-302 $6.19 X 5 = $30.95
Shipping to Plano, Texas = $19.77

This means the true cost for me is $10.14 each!

Your Mazda dealer is greedy. My Mazda dealer sells 1WPE-14-302 Thai oil filter at list, $8.25 each.

Some online sellers charge high shipping cost to compensate low prices. The price of Thai filter at Priority Mazda is $6.19 each which is 25% off the list. But the shipping is high:

Yep, very greedy. And I've seen similar shipping costs to Denver, so unless Amazon gets the Thai filters again for $7ish, the Wix filters end up being the most affordable.

Yep, very greedy. And I've seen similar shipping costs to Denver, so unless Amazon gets the Thai filters again for $7ish, the Wix filters end up being the most affordable.
I believe our previous sponsor Med Center Mazda may still have the best deal for oil change kit. Just by 2 kits ($51.01 each) and get free shipping. And it comes with better 1WPE-14-302 Thai filter and Mazda moly oil.

Mazda SKYACTIV TECHNOLOGY Oil Filter, Drain Plug Washer and 5 Quarts of Mazda 0w20 Moly Oil

Med Center Mazda said:
Free Shipping!!!! Med Center Mazda Parts Department is offering Free Shipping on all orders over $100.00. UPS, FedEx Ground and USPS ground shipments only, to the 48 Continental United States.

I believe our previous sponsor Med Center Mazda may still have the best deal for oil change kit. Just by 2 kits ($51.01 each) and get free shipping. And it comes with better 1WPE-14-302 Thai filter and Mazda moly oil.

Mazda SKYACTIV TECHNOLOGY Oil Filter, Drain Plug Washer and 5 Quarts of Mazda 0w20 Moly Oil
Best deal if you want to use Mazda Moly Oil. Otherwise that is around $15-$20 more than what I spend for an oil change with a 5qt jug of Castrol Edge, a filter, and new crush washer which normally totals out at around $30-$35 for the oil change service.

I hope it's made to the same design specs as oem. If it fails because of an improper bypass design or pressure or something.. rip oil pressure.

I bought three from them and total shipping was $10. Could've ordered them from a dealer and total cost would've been about a buck cheaper.

Last edited:
I hope it's made to the same design specs as oem. If it fails because of an improper bypass design or pressure or something.. rip oil pressure.
I thought the Wix 57002 filters were built to Mazda spec for Skyactiv. At least that's what I've heard on the boards...

I thought the Wix 57002 filters were built to Mazda spec for Skyactiv. At least that's what I've heard on the boards...

You*re good to go with the WIX (deadhorse :D

I have been killing it for the last couple years with Mobil 1. If you can find 5 quarts of their Advanced Fuel Economy or Extended Performance + filter for $33 at Advanced, you can stack that with Mobil*s $17 rebate they usually do once or twice a year. I*ve even had success ordering 2 kits online for pickup in store and stacking with their online 20% off $50+coupon (even though it is supposed to exclude oil). Started changing my mother in laws oil and stocked up 4 complete oil change kits for about $13 a piece when it was all said and done (2 kits per household).

Last edited:
Wix offers 2 different oil filters for recent Mazdas 4 cylinders, 57002 which is equivalent to Mazda "high-flow" OEM PE01-14-302A oil filter for SkyActiv-G and 51365 which is equivalent to OEM B6Y1-14-302A oil filter for non-SkyActiv-G; while most others use only one filter to fit both, such as Mobil 1 M1-108A. Its easy to see Wix 57002 is designed to meet the specs for our SkyActiv-G engines while others use one-size to fit all. Heres the specs for both Wix filters I posted before and we can see the differences:

Now here are product specifications on Wix 57002 which is custom made for Mazda SkyActiv-G engines which should have similar specs as Mazda "high-flow" OEM oil filters such as PE01-14-302A:
Part Number: 57002
UPC Number: 765809570023
Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube
Type: Full Flow
Media: Enhanced Cellulose
Height: 2.827 (72)*
Outer Diameter Top: 2.685 (68)*
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed:
Thread Size: 20X1.5 MM
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 11-14
Nominal Micron Rating: 15
( )* denotes metric

And here are product specifications on Wix 51365 which is equivalent to Mazda conventional OEM oil filter B6Y1-14-302A:
Part Number: 51365
UPC Number: 765809513655
Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube/Transmission
Type: Full Flow
Media: Enhanced Cellulose
Height: 2.58 (66)*
Outer Diameter Top: 2.69 (68)*
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed:
Thread Size: 20X1.5 MM
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 8-11
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes
Beta Ratio: 2/20=6/20
Burst Pressure-PSI: 300
Max Flow Rate: 9-11 GPM
Nominal Micron Rating: 21
( )* denotes metric

But I still prefer OEM Thai filter after my stock of OEM Japanese filters runs out.

Ask the dealer if they have the Thailand filters and for how much. If they are around $7ish, I'd totally go that route.

$10 at dealer. Nit sure which country of manufacturing. Will find out sat when i grab one. Considering its only $2 more than a basic fram and same peice as wix seema like a no brainer

Just to add on to my last point and to get some opinions, i've had my 2018 GT for just over 6 months and only have 2100km on it as i dont use it on a daily basis. the owners manual scheduled maintenance section states that the interval for oil changes here in canada is every 8000km or 6 months. i am planning on doing it this week to follow the warranty guidelines even though it doesnt really NEED it but just wanted to see what people thought.

Just to add on to my last point and to get some opinions, i've had my 2018 GT for just over 6 months and only have 2100km on it as i dont use it on a daily basis. the owners manual scheduled maintenance section states that the interval for oil changes here in canada is every 8000km or 6 months. i am planning on doing it this week to follow the warranty guidelines even though it doesnt really NEED it but just wanted to see what people thought.
I understand Mazda disallowed Flexible oil change schedule for 2016 CX-5 in Canada, is it still the case for 2018 MY?

If you cant use Flexible OCI, then you may have to follow the Fixed OCI specified in the ownees manual, just for warranty purpose although I believe changing oil at 2100 KM is too early, waste of money, and not good to our environment.

Back