Thread: Apple Car Play

Registered Member

2018 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring

Smile Apple Car Play

Ok, so I called Mazda today regarding availability of Apple Car Play for my model 2018 Grand Touring CX-9 after being told by one dealer that it was available and $800 and another dealer saying they hadn't heard a word.

Here's the skinny...
    Only available for Mazda 3 and Mazda 6 both 2018 and newer models.
    Not available for any other model or year at this time.
    Reasons:
    1. This is not just a software update. It involves replacing the USB so that the new one will be 2.1amp and charges/transfers data
    2. Mazda has to make sure that once they commit to other models, there is enough hardware available for dealers that there isn't a backlog. Someone must be crunching numbers to estimate need.
    3. if you own a sport trim, there will be a charge (not told how much). Trim levels from Touring and above will likely be free.

I received this information straight from Mazda. I was also instructed that for future, we can visit www.insidemazda.com and that is where any updates on availability will be posted. He said interest from owners is extremely high for this upgrade.

Hope this helps!

2016 CX-9 Signature Machine Gray / 2018 MX-5 GT Machine Gray

Quote Originally Posted by SedonaDreaming View Post
    Ok, so I called Mazda today regarding availability of Apple Car Play for my model 2018 Grand Touring CX-9 after being told by one dealer that it was available and $800 and another dealer saying they hadn't heard a word.

Here's the skinny...
    Only available for Mazda 3 and Mazda 6 both 2018 and newer models.
    Not available for any other model or year at this time.
    Reasons:
    1. This is not just a software update. It involves replacing the USB so that the new one will be 2.1amp and charges/transfers data
    2. Mazda has to make sure that once they commit to other models, there is enough hardware available for dealers that there isn't a backlog. Someone must be crunching numbers to estimate need.
    3. if you own a sport trim, there will be a charge (not told how much). Trim levels from Touring and above will likely be free.

I received this information straight from Mazda. I was also instructed that for future, we can visit www.insidemazda.com and that is where any updates on availability will be posted. He said interest from owners is extremely high for this upgrade.

Hope this helps!
    Thanks for your input. Nice to at least see them opening up a little bit more about it. It'd be awesome if they do end up making it a free upgrade for all 2018 Touring+ models cause I still have to upgrade our Miata; but note that a bunch of us have already went the DIY route and installed software and hardware ourselves as you can get the hardware online under $200. Lots of info about it in this thread:

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...81#post6611581

And a ridiculous amount of additional info about it over at the mazda3revolution forum.
    Last edited by phxzoom; 10-10-2018 at 06:53 PM.

Registered Member

2018 CX-9 GT

Thanks for the update. Every time I open this forum I hope CarPlay is finally here.

2016 CX-9 Signature Machine Gray / 2018 MX-5 GT Machine Gray

It is here... you just have to do it yourself