Apple Car Play

:
2018 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring
Ok, so I called Mazda today regarding availability of Apple Car Play for my model 2018 Grand Touring CX-9 after being told by one dealer that it was available and $800 and another dealer saying they hadn't heard a word.

Here's the skinny...
Only available for Mazda 3 and Mazda 6 both 2018 and newer models.
Not available for any other model or year at this time.
Reasons:
1. This is not just a software update. It involves replacing the USB so that the new one will be 2.1amp and charges/transfers data
2. Mazda has to make sure that once they commit to other models, there is enough hardware available for dealers that there isn't a backlog. Someone must be crunching numbers to estimate need.
3. if you own a sport trim, there will be a charge (not told how much). Trim levels from Touring and above will likely be free.

I received this information straight from Mazda. I was also instructed that for future, we can visit www.insidemazda.com and that is where any updates on availability will be posted. He said interest from owners is extremely high for this upgrade.

Hope this helps!(yippy)

Ok, so I called Mazda today regarding availability of Apple Car Play for my model 2018 Grand Touring CX-9 after being told by one dealer that it was available and $800 and another dealer saying they hadn't heard a word.

Here's the skinny...
Only available for Mazda 3 and Mazda 6 both 2018 and newer models.
Not available for any other model or year at this time.
Reasons:
1. This is not just a software update. It involves replacing the USB so that the new one will be 2.1amp and charges/transfers data
2. Mazda has to make sure that once they commit to other models, there is enough hardware available for dealers that there isn't a backlog. Someone must be crunching numbers to estimate need.
3. if you own a sport trim, there will be a charge (not told how much). Trim levels from Touring and above will likely be free.

I received this information straight from Mazda. I was also instructed that for future, we can visit www.insidemazda.com and that is where any updates on availability will be posted. He said interest from owners is extremely high for this upgrade.

Hope this helps!(yippy)

Thanks for your input. Nice to at least see them opening up a little bit more about it. It'd be awesome if they do end up making it a free upgrade for all 2018 Touring+ models cause I still have to upgrade our Miata; but note that a bunch of us have already went the DIY route and installed software and hardware ourselves as you can get the hardware online under $200. Lots of info about it in this thread:

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/sho...e-as-retrofit-this-fall&p=6611581#post6611581

And a ridiculous amount of additional info about it over at the mazda3revolution forum.

Last edited:
It is here... you just have to do it yourself

I placed an order for the parts to do it myself a few days ago. Today, the order was canceled and my card was refunded. Back to waiting on Mazda...

Who did you try buying it from? I bought mine from priority mazda. A lot of people have had success with them and with mazda swag. No VIN required, no questions asked. There are also several other dealers/oem parts stores selling them online. And a couple others have had luck purchasing from their local dealer directly.

This thing is amazing. If it had been in your wish list, its well worth it to keep trying cause who knows how longer itll be for Mazda to finally come out with it for their whole lineup. The only reason I would wait is if I had a 2018 and wanted to see if the official upgrade from Mazda comes free or at a discount. Other than that, Id just keep trying to get my hands on that hardware.

i picked up a 2019 cx-3 touring, hoping they install it for free, crossing fingers. As Mazda is installing 2018 mazda 6 touring and above models for free.

Back