Help needed 2013 gt cx 5!

Man, I personally think that is a lot of money, especially for the 2013. Those cars only had the 2.0 engine, which honestly is DOG slow. I would not do it. Look for a 2014 with the same number of miles for about the same price.

Very well equipped car, I will list down its positives:
1. 2.0 L great FE for relaxed mix driving - a 30 mpg car so great as a DD.
2. No LED headlight accents, less to go wrong.
3. At 13XXX you can't go wrong if its still under 5 yr warranty 60K miles - check that, it will give you a few months peace of mind. Chances are the 5yrs are gone but still verify.

Downsides:
1. 2.0L is too slow for what this is. Test drive and see, I am thinking its ok till 40mph and pulling beyond that is going to be an issue.
2. First model year for Mazda. If you can go back in time to see how owners felt about overall build quality.
3. Outdated info system, but I bet there are aftermarket Android Auto units that you can get.

Things I cannot see - tires. I think its not the OEM, so evaluate that. Brake pads - get it verified. Life history - how clean it is, if its a FL car then rust may not be an issue.
Pricewise - for used cars if you cannot get the price, get some added stuff like oil changes / accessories. There are more used car buyers and I am starting to see sales being an issue. Throw them a small number (small but not disrespectful) wait for a week and try to contact. I would think 13K for such a car is good good value. This is GT mind you.

Very well equipped car, I will list down its positives:
1. 2.0 L great FE for relaxed mix driving - a 30 mpg car so great as a DD.
2. No LED headlight accents, less to go wrong.
3. At 13XXX you can't go wrong if its still under 5 yr warranty 60K miles - check that, it will give you a few months peace of mind. Chances are the 5yrs are gone but still verify.

Downsides:
1. 2.0L is too slow for what this is. Test drive and see, I am thinking its ok till 40mph and pulling beyond that is going to be an issue.

2. First model year for Mazda. If you can go back in time to see how owners felt about overall build quality.
3. Outdated info system, but I bet there are aftermarket Android Auto units that you can get.

Things I cannot see - tires. I think its not the OEM, so evaluate that. Brake pads - get it verified. Life history - how clean it is, if its a FL car then rust may not be an issue.
Pricewise - for used cars if you cannot get the price, get some added stuff like oil changes / accessories. There are more used car buyers and I am starting to see sales being an issue. Throw them a small number (small but not disrespectful) wait for a week and try to contact. I would think 13K for such a car is good good value. This is GT mind you.

I appreciate the response yeah its not bad. Id love it at 13k

Lewis where are you come drop in your advice

Many people complain about the performance of the 2.0. Not so much if it was a 5 speed. Drive it and make sure it has enough power for your driving needs.
Take it out on the interstate and make sure it has the passing power you're comfortable with.
If your driving is mostly city/urban then it might not be much of a concern.

I've been driving a 2.0 touring for six years and have NEVER felt the car was underpowered. If the 2.5 had been available in 2013 I would have opted for that, but it wasn't and I have never regretted being stuck with the "mouse motor". Drive it yourself and don't listen to folks who probably have never driven one.

I went from a 2.0 to a 2.5. Same spec gt awd with tech. Big difference in performance imo. However drive it and see what you think. You can get an ecu tune for ~$500 and gain upwards of 25hp along with huge gains throughout the powerband in the future

I'd look at a 2014 with the 2.5L personally. But if the 2.0L suits your needs during a test drive, then that's not bad mileage. Definitely check on the service history, and I'd haggle that price down for sure.

I couldnt pay that for one that old. I only looked at a few, but Id search for newer If I was going to buy one. Not to mention, you hinted at paying cash, if that is the case, Id think you should buy privately away from the dealer. Im thinking you show up with $12k cash and you walk away with this one, or one very similar. I havent looked up the trade-in value on it, but within $500 of it is what Id be willing to spend, or think you could get it for...

https://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/d/2015-mazda-cx-5-sport-suv-42k/6716339518.html

Last edited:
You need to go ahead and decide if youre willing to settle for a Sport, or you have to have the features of a Touring, or Gran Touring.
Narrowing that down will help a lot in the search, and help with avoiding buyers remorse...

Hi Lewis and thank you everyone else!

So I went to the dealer the price was 13.9

We started negotiating Yada yada six hours later I walk out 13.9 plus free four brand new tires so essentially 12.9.

This is a very large certified Toyota dealer and they had quite a few managers come talk to me along with the man in charge come over and flat out tell me they paid 12.5 and with tires theyre essentially selling for 12.9 (this car hasnt sat on their lot for nearly as long as their sport did) but they knew I wouldnt budge so he made the decision to come over and sell it.

Got a great deal in interest rates (better than excellent credit score ratings) as that was my last punch in. So I walked out pretty happy with my new Grand Touring CX-5!

All in all happy experience and Im considering them again in the future. Thanks everyone for your help!

I hope they did not give you OEM tires again. What brand of tires? 1000 for tires on this car be pretty much top of the line michelins. Anyhow - I think the miles are low and 2.0 is pretty sweet if you dont plan on driving aggressively.
Advantage of going used at this price range is even if you went wrong - its only 500-700 dollars. There isnt that much margin as there are people who will buy it instead of you and thats what matters to the dealer. USed car prices are going to climb as new car sales are tanking. So good you got it in before that.

I think the number seems on par with what most people would negotiate for OtD price. I checked KBB on a trade in value of a similar 2013/CX-5 GT/46k miles and it was showing $13k-$15k in very good condition.

Congrats Greycx52016 on the new wheels.

I had a 2013 Touring with the 2.0, and now have a 2015 with the 2.5. Is the 2.5 faster, yep, but I never had any problems with the 2.0. I really don't consider it as slow as some people seem to think it is. For instance a 2013 Ford Escape 0 to 60 was 9.3, the 2013 CX-5 was listed at 7.9. A 2014 GT 2.5 was listed at 7.6, not exactly a large difference. Those figures are from https://www.zeroto60times.com/vehicle-make/mazda-0-60-mph-times/

I had a 2013 Touring with the 2.0, and now have a 2015 with the 2.5. Is the 2.5 faster, yep, but I never had any problems with the 2.0. I really don't consider it as slow as some people seem to think it is. For instance a 2013 Ford Escape 0 to 60 was 9.3, the 2013 CX-5 was listed at 7.9. A 2014 GT 2.5 was listed at 7.6, not exactly a large difference. Those figures are from https://www.zeroto60times.com/vehicle-make/mazda-0-60-mph-times/
i agree! The 2.0 is a perfectly adequate engine. I*ve been driving my *13 Touring foe (exactly) 6 years (today!) and have never felt like I was in a penalty box. More power is always better, but not having had that option back in 2012, I*ve never regretted the choice I made.

I don't know if it's because mine is a manual, but the 2.0L feels just fine to me.

To the OP, best of luck with your purchase! I was fortunate enough to find a very low-mileage example for my own!

i agree! The 2.0 is a perfectly adequate engine. I*ve been driving my *13 Touring foe (exactly) 6 years (today!) and have never felt like I was in a penalty box. More power is always better, but not having had that option back in 2012, I*ve never regretted the choice I made.

I don't know if it's because mine is a manual, but the 2.0L feels just fine to me.

To the OP, best of luck with your purchase! I was fortunate enough to find a very low-mileage example for my own!

The 2.0 seems to like to rev more than the 2.5. That's because its peak RPM/TQ is set higher.

The 2.0 seems to like to rev more than the 2.5. That's because its peak RPM/TQ is set higher.

This. I don't think I've actually heard anyone with the 2.0L actually complain about it at all on this forum.

Last edited:
Back