Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mazda beats VW... again

Registered Member

2017 CX-5

Itís the b cycle turbo and actually less hp than the Mazda.

Registered Member

2013 Mazda CX-5

When we were replacing our minivan, the Jetta Sportwagen was at the top of the list. My wife and I went to Mazda to check out the 5 which was like a mini-minivan with the sliding rear doors, but my wife wasn't that thrilled about getting another boring car. The she saw the CX-5, which was just released, and wanted it and we ended up getting it.

And were still happy with our decision.

Registered Member

CX-5 AWD, 2017

We drove the Tiguan before we bought our Mazda CX5 and did not like Tiguans ride one bit. It was harsh and noisy and unrefined compared to Mazda CX5. Besides that VW group has terrible unreliability both in the cars they manufacture and in the dealer service. The Germans seem to promise more than they deliver. Sorry, could not help that last line due to previous ownership of both VW and BMW. You learn the hard way.

Registered Member

was 175ps sport manual, now 175ps Mazda CX-5 Auto AWD Sport Nav

Well I learnt the hard way that Mazda isn't a reliable car, I'm talking about my 2013 that failed to start twice, and had engine problems.

I've also noticed in the UK that some new models are having brake vacuum issues, which I had on my 2013 car, this is only on the diesel engine so the US will have a different experience.

Reliability of the VW brand in the UK is lower than the Mazda in surveys usually, but then in contrast its also said by whatcar mag that the Mk2 Tiguan is the most reliable car in sector.

In the UK we also get the 5 seater which is the model I've gone for, we do not get the auto you get but a 7 speed DSG, boot is actually bigger than the CX-5, but only because the rear bench can slide 6" forward or back. The virtual cockpit is standard on the SEL I've ordered along with LED headlights that auto dip.

As post two says it depends on what your priorities are, and wanting a change after 5 years with a CX-5, one was a different car altogether.

I'm sure eventually Mazda will catch up to the Tiguan but I'm not prepared to wait. I suspect the next cx-5 with have a virtual cockpit and extra gears, and with AA standard.
    Last edited by xtrailman; 10-11-2018 at 03:50 AM.

Registered Member

2018 CX5 SE-L Nav+ 2WD 2.2D 150hp Auto

Quote Originally Posted by xtrailman View Post

I've also noticed in the UK that some new models are having brake vacuum issues, which I had on my 2013 car, this is only on the diesel engine so the US will have a different experience.

Hi Xtrailman

Is this the 2018 models and if so what is your source? My 2016 has been fine with no engine issues or brake vacuum issues. You keep harking back to your 2013 model which you no longer have.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jonno21 View Post
    Hi Xtrailman

Is this the 2018 models and if so what is your source? My 2016 has been fine with no engine issues or brake vacuum issues. You keep harking back to your 2013 model which you no longer have.
    Source is the UK Mazda owners on face book.
    I'm not harking back to the crap 2013 car which lasted 2 years in my owner ship, but simply saying an issue from then is still current today. My 2015 car also has a PCM recall which affects a lot of cars not just my year.

Registered Member

2017 CX-5

Quote Originally Posted by tibimakai View Post
    My previous car, it was a Rabbit and I have owned it for almost 7 years and I did not have a single issue with it, I can't say the same thing about the CX5.
    I'm not a fan of the new look of VWs, though. Except the Atlas and GTI.
    I still kinda miss my MKV Rabbit!

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring

Yes, it was the 2.5L engine, shadow blue, 4 doors.
    I can say the same thing, sometimes I miss it as well.
    What I don't miss, is the lower sitting position, I have a lower back pain, once in a while.
    MPGs were worse than with the CX5.
    The 5, I have read that it was actually fun to drive, why do you say that it's boring.
    If it would have had a better looking front, not that big mouth, I would have considered it.

13' CX-5 and 16' Mazda6 both Touring w/Tech/Bose

Quote Originally Posted by tibimakai View Post
    Yes, it was the 2.5L engine, shadow blue, 4 doors.
    I can say the same thing, sometimes I miss it as well.
    What I don't miss, is the lower sitting position, I have a lower back pain, once in a while.
    MPGs were worse than with the CX5.
    The 5, I have read that it was actually fun to drive, why do you say that it's boring.
    If it would have had a better looking front, not that big mouth, I would have considered it.
    My CC gave me sciatica since the seat positions were kind of weird. The CX-5 and Mazda6 are far more comfortable to my back.

Registered Member

2018 CX5 SE-L Nav+ 2WD 2.2D 150hp Auto

Source is the UK Mazda owners on face book.
    I'm not harking back to the crap 2013 car which lasted 2 years in my owner ship, but simply saying an issue from then is still current today. My 2015 car also has a PCM recall which affects a lot of cars not just my year.
    I've also had the PCM recall which stated a better accelerator response and quieter engine. Not really noticed the quieter engine but the response seems more snappy with smoother auto gear changes. I've not looked at the Facebook page recently. Better start looking!
    Last edited by Jonno21; 10-11-2018 at 03:57 PM. Reason: Facebook

Registered Member

2017 CX-5

Just like the Atlas has a V6 upgrade I think what the Tiguan really needs is the version of that 2.0T Audi is using in the Q3/5. I doubt that the gas mileage would be that much worse.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by jthj View Post
    Just like the Atlas has a V6 upgrade I think what the Tiguan really needs is the version of that 2.0T Audi is using in the Q3/5. I doubt that the gas mileage would be that much worse.
    Uk SWB car does get the 180ps 2T, shortly due to be uprated to 190ps from Feb.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jonno21 View Post
    I've also had the PCM recall which stated a better accelerator response and quieter engine. Not really noticed the quieter engine but the response seems more snappy with smoother auto gear changes. I've not looked at the Facebook page recently. Better start looking!
    Seems odd that my 2015 car suddenly needs a re flash, I would sooner leave things as they are as I don't have an issue with the performance.
    Trouble with FB is it takes ages to find older posts.

2018 CX-5 GT

I drove a top-of-the-line Tiguan last weekend and was largely unimpressed particularly with the lack of engine performance compared to my CX5. At over $37K for the VW the Mazda is clearly the winner in my book.
    Magical Hot Wheels: http://www.htbomb.weebly.com

Registered Member

2017 CX-5

Uk SWB car does get the 180ps 2T, shortly due to be uprated to 190ps from Feb.
    Those power numbers arenít impressive imo. It needs to be north of 200 and not with the b cycle slowing it down.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast