E15 Gas in the USA

:
2014 Mazda CX-5 GT
I read that restrictions on E15 gas are going away in the USA. I know when ethanol was first added to gas there was an issue with older engines. I assume that there are now issues with our CX-5s but was wondering if anyone had real world experience?

From your 2014 CX-5 owner's manual:
Vehicle damage and drivability problems resulting from the use of the following may not
be covered by the Mazda warranty.
l Gasohol containing more than 10 % ethanol.
l Gasoline or gasohol containing methanol.
l Leaded fuel or leaded gasohol.

People get e85 tunes on modern cars for a big power bump. Problems is availability of E85 and you will get like 30% less mpg.

From your 2014 CX-5 owner's manual:
Vehicle damage and drivability problems resulting from the use of the following may not
be covered by the Mazda warranty.
l Gasohol containing more than 10 % ethanol.
l Gasoline or gasohol containing methanol.
l Leaded fuel or leaded gasohol.

This is pretty boiler plate and probably exists in the owners manual of most new cars. It's basically generic legal liability language. If a national E15 policy comes into being I doubt any car maker will actually try to void customer warranties because of clauses like this because of precendent. It's not an individual consumer choice, but rather a widespread change so the individual doesn't assume liability for it.

People get e85 tunes on modern cars for a big power bump. Problems is availability of E85 and you will get like 30% less mpg.

Pump gas + methanol injection is a great alternative, especially when e85 isn't widely available. Not a problem here, e85 and 110-112 octane are sold at regular pumps in a good bit of gas stations. Promoting street racing, haha, I kid, I kid...

I read that restrictions on E15 gas are going away in the USA. I know when ethanol was first added to gas there was an issue with older engines. I assume that there are now issues with our CX-5s but was wondering if anyone had real world experience?

Where did you read that? Do you have a source?
I follow the news pretty closely and have seen nothing mentioned. I know there was talk years back but nothing ever came of it.

My guess is he's trying to cater to the farmers that are being hurt by the tariffs...purely political, especially with midterm elections right around the corner

Last edited:
Agreed - but is started out as energy independence move that has turned into a farming subsidy supported by both parties. The science is pretty mixed, meaning it's not beneficial except to the farmers. It's the swamp.

Agreed - but is started out as energy independence move that has turned into a farming subsidy supported by both parties. The science is pretty mixed, meaning it's not beneficial except to the farmers. It's the swamp.
Exactly! And its not good to environment either.

IMO, this trade war with China only hurts both countries on economy in the long run.

Yes, saw it in USA Today this morning. Hopefully it won't go anywhere.
Actually I really hope we should get ethanol-free gas which would increase our MPG significantly!

Actually I really hope we should get ethanol-free gas which would increase our MPG significantly!

I'm torn. I have an ethanol free by my work, or else there's also Shell which is Top Tier, but has ethanol. Not sure which way to go.

Yep. Ethanol: another good idea that's really bad in every way.

Sadly, ethanol-free costs significantly more around here, and is very hard to find.

Yep. Ethanol: another good idea that's really bad in every way.

Sadly, ethanol-free costs significantly more around here, and is very hard to find.

I've only found one ethanol free around here, luckily by my office. The 87 ethanol free is the same price as our 85 regular. We have 85, 87, 91 octanes out here.

Ethanol free is gaining popularity in Central Florida as boat gas, 89 octane. Costs .50-.60 cents more per gallon than 87 octane (we usually have 87,89 and 93 octane at pumps). The ethanol free gas is most definitely worth it for my lawn equipment.

Back