'18 GT - Roof Cross Bars

I had my big Thule box on for vacation last week. It attached to the Mazda bars fine. With it as far forward as I could put it I had two issues:
1. It would touch the antenna unless it was perfectly centred with the molded center groove on the bottom of the box.
2. I had to adjust the tailgate to not open as much so it would not hit the back of the box.

With the tail gate lower I hit my head more often than normal.

I had my big Thule box on for vacation last week. It attached to the Mazda bars fine. With it as far forward as I could put it I had two issues:
1. It would touch the antenna unless it was perfectly centred with the molded center groove on the bottom of the box.
2. I had to adjust the tailgate to not open as much so it would not hit the back of the box.

With the tail gate lower I hit my head more often than normal.

Thank you.

Do you know which Thule box you have?

I was hoping there wouldn't be tailgate interference - I hit my head on the damn thing all. the. time.

I have the Thule Force XL for my 2018 CX-9 using the OEM roof rails and cross bars. No issues with clearance of the antenna or rear hatch.

My large Thule box fits OK.

The attachment screws for the cross bars are more that a little aggravating. The roof rails tip in slightly, or the roof rises there, or both, and it's a trick to get a tool on the screws without scratching the paint. I cut a piece of thin cardboard to slip under the tool while I was putting the screws in. The screws have a T30 Torx head. A 4 mm ball-end Allen driver will run them in snug, but the T30 driver is needed to tighten them. I just bought a Wiha T30 ball end screwdriver #36236; we'll see if that makes it easier to get the screws in & out. I only use the cross bars for my ski box, and I take the bars off the rest of the year.

It is an older Thule Evolution. I can get two full size soft side suit cases in it with a little room left at the front and back.

I was in the same boat, just bought the OEM cross bars and I have the Thule Force L which is the slightly wider and shorter (compared to XL) box. It fits perfectly and with the box itself being adjustable in terms of sliding front and back you can get it sitting as far back as possible without interference with the tailgate opening/closing.

Thanks everyone for the input. Sounds like I can get away with those bars and save a few hundred over the Thule ones.

If it comes off once a year I would be surprised.

Thank you!

An update... Got the Mazda bars and got them on no problem.

Got a closeout deal and 25% coupon from REI and picked up a Force XL. Too big - too much unsupported length forward of the front cross bar, so in the process of exchanging it for an L.

The XL did make more wind noise than I expected, so hoping the L is better. It looks like there will at least be a chance to put some sort of deflector if need be.

Thanks!

When we travel we use a 21 cubic ft Yakima Skybox. IT attached to our OEM rails and OEM bars no problem. Only real issue I had was that the OEM bar was so flat and wide that the clamps on the bottom of the Yakima box would barely cradle them. If that makes sense. The box was still firmly gripped and planted on the bars, but I could imagine a situation where it could be an issue.

Final update.... The Thule Force L definitely fits better, but it is still a big box, and it is loud up there. The wind noise is fine, it mostly fades to the background.

The noise from the actual box is more annoying - it clanks around pretty bad. For a $500 box it is very, very wiggly. A small amount of internal bracing would go a long way.

The good news is that it goes on and off very easily, so no need to leave it up when you don't need it.

Thanks for the update. Can you post some pics of the side profile? I'm looking to see which Thule size fits best.

Thanks for the update. Can you post some pics of the side profile? I'm looking to see which Thule size fits best.

Yeah, I'll try and grab a pic today.

What are you looking to pack up there? This thing is so big, I really can't imagine needing more room. I can even lay my 180cm skis down in it.

The XL looked comical up there!

Yeah, I'll try and grab a pic today.

What are you looking to pack up there? This thing is so big, I really can't imagine needing more room. I can even lay my 180cm skis down in it.

The XL looked comical up there!

i'm thinking like 5 snowboards plus some boots and stuff maybe? since the cargo space is limited with 3rd row seat up, things need to be moved to the top.

i'm thinking like 5 snowboards plus some boots and stuff maybe? since the cargo space is limited with 3rd row seat up, things need to be moved to the top.

The XL is longer, but not demonstrably wider or taller.

I would think you could throw a bunch of boards and boots in there no problem. The Thule site is off at least a bit, in terms of what the boxes will hold. Says max ski length is either 173 or 175 and my 180s fit in with a few CM to spare. Not sure where you are, but I went to the local REI and they had the box and the same skis I do. Tossed em in, no problems, took it home.

Back