VersaTuner - tuning software for Mazdas
VersaTuner - tuning software for Mazdas

Thread: Having trouble choosing Tires :/

Registered Member

16í Mazda 3i GT 6spd Manual

Having trouble choosing Tires :/

I recently bought a 2016 Mazda 3i Grand Touring 6 spd Manual. It came off a lease with under 30k miles and has been a joy to drive. I actually test drove the same car (s) version w/bigger engine with an Automatic transmission and although powerfull it didnít seem to be that much faster or quicker then the manual 2.0 version Iím in now. It has 30 or so less HP and Tourque so itís probably in my head but I really enjoy the smaller engine w/ the manual much more than the Larger Automatic.
    Both had great acceleration (Iím coming from a corolla so anything seems better) and I only drove the Auto for 15 mins but bopping around town unit I felt much quicker in the manual. However I did notice a difference once on the highway. The 2.0 still felt good but not as mich passing power for sure. That has zero to do with my question but thought that info may help someone deciding between the two someday? Iím guessing the S Manual would best of both worlds. Hard to find here though. Over 150 Mazdaís on this lot and maybe 4 manuals total!

**My tire question is simple. It came with Yokohama avid tires. Sort of worn down and nothing special. I live in Massachusetts so it snows here a fair amount in the winter. Iím looking at ďall season tiresĒ My dilemma is deciding between High performance all season and grand touring all season.

Is there a big difference? Firestone Firehawk AS was recommended to me. Goes w/o saying Tires are expensive, so Iíd greatly appreciate any feedback on what worked for you or any info on ďall season tiresĒ performance version vs touring versions.

Thanks!

Colin

Registered Member

2018 Mazda 3 GT Hatch

Do a little research on Tirerack.com. I think the best balance of summer and winter performance is with a UHP all season tire. However these vary wildly in their snow performance. The best in that area are the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+, the Conti DWS 06 and the BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S. I have the last on my BMW X1 and spend lots of time in winter in VT. As good as winter tires? No. But pretty decent for all seasons.