Installing backup camera - not wireless?

:
mazda
Can you place the rear camera behind the factory tinted glass without affecting the performance of the camera?

Is wire splicing safe - how else can you connect the camera wires to the reverse light?

It is not wireless - how do I run the wire to the front easily - I never done it before? Also, it appears that mazda already wired it up - there is a grey adapter on the tailgate - I do not where is other end?

Can you place the rear camera behind the factory tinted glass without affecting the performance of the camera?

Is wire splicing safe - how else can you connect the camera wires to the reverse light?

It is not wireless - how do I run the wire to the front easily - I never done it before? Also, it appears that mazda already wired it up - there is a grey adapter on the tailgate - I do not where is other end?

1) yes, wire splicing when done right is safe.
2) tinted glass will affect performance.

camera wiring: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcPpHh90wuw

Does 2013 M5 had lighting control modules?
I heard these can shut off the Backup camera if spliced to the reverse light.

Also the video above - he removed the entire trim on the tailgate - is it necessary - what might be the optimal place to place the camera - he is blocking part of the license place light.

This guy placed it at a different location - it works fine for him - but his glass is not tinted:
https://www.findclip.net/video/0P8pyzYQzAU/jeemak-c.html

Factory tint seems to affect in the dark

Last edited:
From your aftermarket headlight, run the wire through the glove box and then exit from the fuse box cover. The wire can easily be hidden and run from the A-pillar all the way down the headliner.

Once the wire reach the rear liftgate, remove all its panels and you should easily reach the license plate lights

Once the wire reach the rear liftgate, remove all its panels and you should easily reach the license plate lights
Are u suggesting that backup camera goes in where the license plate light is?

From your aftermarket headlight, run the wire through the glove box and then exit from the fuse box cover.
When u say "From your aftermarket headlight", do you mean dashcam/rearview mirror assembly?

sorry, it was midnight when I typed the message, I was trying to say aftermarket audio head unit.

Youtube should have few tutorial video to show ho to wire up the backup camera. the license plate lights are the only easy place to let your wire go through.

The most difficult part is running the yellow RCA wire through the rubber boot, I had to cut the RCA and solder it back afterward.

I finally installed one - similar to this but smaller LCD:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

I did get a smash repair shop to remove the trim and put it back - I did all the wiring. When putting it back, one clip gave trouble - it took him 3 iterations to get it right - worth paying him.

I wired it entirely under the trim but it comes out to reach the cigarette lighter.

I did not drill at all - the camera wire comes out via the license plate light - it was glued.
Thanks guys for your help

Last edited:
In the future if you want to work on the interior panels, make sure you buy a bunch of oem tab/clips just in case they break into pieces you have spare pcs.

In China, I can easily get a big bag of car panel clips for 1-2 dollar shipped to my door, it is very handy

TB2k9aslJfJ8KJjy0FeXXXKEXXa_!!2185425524.jpg

Back