1998 Protege Misfiring and Struggling to Start

killerfrogy

:
Mazda Familia
Hey guys, I seem to have run into an issue with my 1998 Mazda Familia (same as protege and 323). Basically what happens is that the car starts misfiring really badly above 3000rpm when warm. When the issue first presented itself it was something that would only happen over 5000rpm. But since then the rpm at which it would happen has begun to creep down. When it is really bad it can happen at idle when sitting at traffic and the engine just stops. On top of this the car struggles to start, this issue with starting began at the same time as my misfire issue so I think they are related.

Some notes:
- The car is a 1998 Mazda Familia (same as the protege and 323) and is part of the BJ generation
- The engine is the 1.5L ZL-VE
- The car misfires whether it's under load or just in neutral.
- The gearbox is an auto
- When trying to start the car the start cranks just fine, it just won't start, pumping the gas pedal sometimes helps.
- I performed a fault code diagnostic and there were fault codes for both the cam position sensor and a knock sensor. I have replaced both of these and the issue still persists.
- I have also replaced the spark plugs, HT leads, coils and battery.
- I have taken the car to a mechanic whose solution was to replace the air flow meter, this has not fixed the issue either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I really need to sell the car but won't get much whilst its in its current state.

Cheers

check the small wires going into your coil packs. I had similar running issue. Changed coil packs and still had same problem. Turned out it was one of the thin ass wires that looked like it was still connected but really was completely broke.

Latest posts

Back