Too many regens!

:
Mazda CX-5 Sport Nav auto 175
Only had my 2012 2.2D Sport Nav auto a few weeks, and love it. BUT - it goes into regen mode on virtually every out of town trip - on a 160 mile drive did three regens! Surely this can't be right?

What's your experience, and how can I get this down - it cripples the fuel consumption, and I've read about the oil dilution issue as well. I heard somewhere that there has been a TSB for this, or a firmware update - has anyone had this and did it help?

My only thought so far has been to clean out the EGR - I'll post a separate thread on this.

Cheers,

Roger

If your Mazda has been serviced by a dealer anytime since late 2012, the software update for the oil dilution issue should have been done. And yes, ot does help, my brother has a 2012 CX5 diesel and had the excessive dilution issue, and the update was done way back then and was very effective. I would be surprised if yours hasnt been done, they were doing them routinely as part of services back in mid-late 2012.

If you are not sure, I dare say if you call Mazda and quote your cars vin number they should be able to tell you. Or drop past a dealer and have them check.

Its also quite likely that there have been other bcm software updates since then. So it would be worthwhile getting the next scheduled service done by a Mazda dealer and ask them to make sure that all required software and other updates have been done. I think there was also an update to a pump of some kind, they did it on my 2013 with no charge back in late 2015 I recall.

They may also perform a forced regen which will burn off more deposits from the dpf and reduce frequency of regens. Ask and see what they recommend. I recently put a dose of dpf cleaner additive in the tank and ran the whole tank thru on a long trip, seemed to make an improvement afterwards, expspecially noticed improved fuel economy. If you use a dpf additive do some research some are a waste of time, you need to get one that has bimetallic platinum & cerium catalysts. This is what I used, not usreifits available UK : https://penriteoil.com.au/products/enviro-dpf-cleaner

One major reason for excessive dpf clogging is use of the incorrect spec engine oil. Check your owners manual and be 100% sure that inly the correct spec low ash oil is used. Here Mazda specs a C1 or JASO DL-1 rated 5W-30 enviro full syn oil. Also try to stick to premium fuel as crap quality diesel will contribute to it as well.

Its really important to use the required high spec oil. Inviting major problems if you don*t. Again this is the one I use but there are others that meet the Mazda spec:
https://penriteoil.com.au/products/enviro-c1-full-syn

Last edited:
Yep, my new 2016 model did it very frequently from the day I got it. Not much you can do. There is a recall for a firmware update on the engine management that might help. Contact a dealer for that.

BTW, they*ve cured it on the 2017 on models. I hardly ever notice a regen and the oil dilution has stopped.

Back