Off Topic Consumer Reports: Honda CR-Vs plagued by engine trouble

I just like the way it looks, don't like the redesign of the 2017 CX5. Also like the fact you could put it into 4 wheel lockup manually and go off roading (more like beach driving for me)

I don't like the Subaru look personally. Gen 1 CX-5 was perfect. I fully agree that the 2017 redesign of the CX-5 is blech. If I was in the market right now, at least appearance wise nothing really currently appeals.

Yuk, why all this talk about the Rav 4? U.G.L.Y. And it most likely will drive like a Toyota.

Yuk, why all this talk about the Rav 4? U.G.L.Y. And it most likely will drive like a Toyota.

Love the interior design from the photos. Still dont know about the quality if the materials. Hate the exterior. Its too boxy for me. Wont necessarily call it ugly.

I just like the way it looks, don't like the redesign of the 2017 CX5. Also like the fact you could put it into 4 wheel lockup manually and go off roading (more like beach driving for me)

Real 4WD is awesome. I suspect it has it, but has it been CONFIRMED? I know 2018 had it, but did they keep it?

Real 4WD is awesome. I suspect it has it, but has it been CONFIRMED? I know 2018 had it, but did they keep it?

What they say:
"The fun ratchets up once pavement blends into dirt thanks to Multi-Terrain Select. Standard on all AWD-equipped gas RAV4 models, Multi-Terrain Select gives drivers the ability to maximize traction when driving through snow, mud, sand, or rocks. The system is easy to use thanks to a control dial (or buttons) positioned in the center console to the left of the shift knob."

What they say:
"The fun ratchets up once pavement blends into dirt thanks to Multi-Terrain Select. Standard on all AWD-equipped gas RAV4 models, Multi-Terrain Select gives drivers the ability to maximize traction when driving through snow, mud, sand, or rocks. The system is easy to use thanks to a control dial (or buttons) positioned in the center console to the left of the shift knob."
RAV4 has been featuring center differential lock for many years. There's a physical button to control it with manual transmission, but the AWD system controls it as needed with automatic transmission without the lock button. IMO Toyota should continuously offer it in its new RAV4.

The AWD on new RAV4 offers more new features such as Multi-Terrain Select、Dynamic Torque Vectoring All-Wheel Drive、and Rear Driveline Disconnect:

Toyota News Releases said:
True Off-Road Capabilities with Available Multi-Terrain Select and an Available Toyota-First, Dynamic Torque Vectoring All-Wheel Drive with Rear Driveline Disconnect

The Toyota-first, Dynamic Torque Vectoring All-Wheel Drive with Rear Driveline Disconnect, is nothing short of impressive, and enables drivers to steer the vehicle as intended, even atop the toughest of roads.

Standard on AWD-equipped Limited gas and Adventure grade models, Dynamic Torque Vectoring All-Wheel Drive with Rear Driveline Disconnect can send 50 percent of engine torque to the rear wheels, plus distribute it to the left or right rear wheel for improved handling. When AWD isnt required (on long stretches of highway, for example), RAV4 can achieve better fuel economy thanks to the Rear Driveline Disconnect system. The disconnection features the worlds first ratchet-type dog clutches on both the front and rear wheel shafts. These clutches stop the driveshafts rotations, thus transmitting the driving force to the front wheels when AWD isnt required, significantly reducing energy loss, improving fuel efficiency, and reducing rotational vibration making for a smoother ride.

This all-new AWD system is one of three available on the all-new RAV4; it joins the AWD-i system available on hybrid grades and the (non-Dynamic Torque Vectoring) AWD system available on core gas grades.

When paired with the new All-Wheel Drive with Intelligence (AWD-i), RAV4 Hybrid increases the total torque to the rear wheelswhich is electronically drivenby 30 percent compared to the current generation AWD-i system. By adopting a new control system that optimally distributes torque to the rear wheels based on the driving conditions, the new AWD-i system offers high off-road performance, handling, and ability.

"AWD-i" may turn out to be great, but it will NOT be 4WD.

AWD is never true 4WD.

It's a matter of "intelligence" vs brute force.

If it's called AWD, it will not lock the way we old timers want 4WD to.

"AWD-i" may turn out to be great, but it will NOT be 4WD.

AWD is never true 4WD.

It's a matter of "intelligence" vs brute force.

If it's called AWD, it will not lock the way we old timers want 4WD to.

AWD is better on pavement than 4WD. In a class where majority of the vehicles never go off-road,where is the need for 4WD?

AWD is better on pavement than 4WD. In a class where majority of the vehicles never go off-road,where is the need for 4WD?
Agreed.

Look I came from Jeeps and lived off a dirt road that hardly ever got grated in the mountains. So yes, true 4WD was nice to have.

A Jeep, a CUV is not. As long as the system is intelligent enough to detect what it needs to to effectively use the AWD system, that is good enough for me. Whether you have a selector switch or not, AWD is not a true 4WD.

If you all are surprised about Honda having major engine problems Google Honda V6 Piston ring Class action. A couple of months ago My daughters Pilot engine failed her in the middle of south Carolina due to this issue

Back