Off Topic Consumer Reports: Honda CR-Vs plagued by engine trouble

This is honestly a bit shocking from any large automotive manufacturer with today's technology and testing.

This saddens me, while I have a 2017 CX-5, I just convinced my sister-in-law to buy a 2018 CRV a few months ago. These things happen due to the trends to shorten development. Honda is one of the companies you least expect it from.

I assume Mazda had problems with the cylinder deactivation in the CX-5, it must have been targeted for 2017, but had some late issues that required them to delay it a year. There is no way the 2017 planned to introduce so little engine changes and no fuel economy improvements. So a good thing that they didnt push it too early.

If the CRV problem was found in development, it was probably something that was too risky to change. If not, then I hope that the 2017 and 2018s wont get any engine damage. But, I definitely do see a class action coming from this one.

This saddens me, while I have a 2017 CX-5, I just convinced my sister-in-law to buy a 2018 CRV a few months ago. These things happen due to the trends to shorten development. Honda is one of the companies you least expect it from.

I assume Mazda had problems with the cylinder deactivation in the CX-5, it must have been targeted for 2017, but had some late issues that required them to delay it a year. There is no way the 2017 planned to introduce so little engine changes and no fuel economy improvements. So a good thing that they didn*t push it too early.

If the CRV problem was found in development, it was probably something that was too risky to change. If not, then I hope that the 2017 and 2018*s won*t get any engine damage. But, I definitely do see a class action coming from this one.

They literally just re-did the engine internals for 2017, why do you think they didn't introduce DoD on schedule?

This is honestly a bit shocking from any large automotive manufacturer with today's technology and testing.
Its been reported before that Chinese government is forcing Honda to have a recall on the same issue in June. Honda claimed at the time a fix is available by an ECM firmware update.

Im not surprised that these premature products been released to the market nowadays. Honda did it, Mazda did it too - i.e. new hydraulic engine mount on gen-2 CX-5. Although my 1998 Honda CR-V with 181,959 miles is the most reliable vehicle Ive ever owned, but I gave up Honda products many years ago as I dont like design and develop trend by Honda. Its reliability is going south too since then.

I'm trying to push for another CRV(she has a 09') for my wife as well, but it seems like, we will have to hold off for now. We are not really liking the new look.
I'm not sure, if a firmware can fix this issue, without affecting something else (maybe performance/mpg)

This problem has been known for a while.
Honda has made great efforts to keep the problem under wraps, and not have the issues reported in mainstream media.
So far Honda has been able to dodge that bullet.
Hopefully now that CR has latched on to the problem, the word will finally get out to all consumers.
I've mentioned this issue more than once on this forum, so I assumed that most people on here already knew about it.
Check out the CR-V forum, and you'll see just how serious this issue really is.

Just one example: My brother in law bought a new CR-V last October, and got rid of it after 9 months.
It had no heat in the winter, gas in oil, hated the way it drove, and got no help or support from the service manager.
He bought it without looking at any other SUV's. He just bought on perceived reputation. He's partly to blame for that and he'll admit it.
The only way he could avoid taking a financial bath was to take it back to the dealer and swap it out for the smaller HR-V.
He's still not happy, but it's better than the CR-V.

I would love to see CR-V sales tank, and a world wide recall issued on them. Serves Honda right.

I'm trying to push for another CRV(she has a 09') for my wife as well, but it seems like, we will have to hold off for now. We are not really liking the new look.
I'm not sure, if a firmware can fix this issue, without affecting something else (maybe performance/mpg)
You should check upcoming all new 2019 Toyota RAV4 with 203~206 hp naturally aspirated 2.5L and 8-speed auto. Itll have the best EPA FE ratings in the same class due to its highest engine thermal efficiency. It has both direct and port injection so that some of the drawbacks of direct injection can be eliminated. I dont know if you can accept the new look, but IMO at least it looks better than the outgoing RAV4!

When I was vehicle shopping last month, I was told the 2019 Rav 4 won't start hitting dealer lots until February 2019.

When I was vehicle shopping last month, I was told the 2019 Rav 4 won't start hitting dealer lots until February 2019.
When I asked the Toyota dealer about the new RAV4, they keep postponing the release date, from October to January next year. Now its February?

May be Toyota wants to make sure everything works correctly and doesnt want to rush it out having the problems like Honda CR-V did. But the new engine and transmission are already there in 2018 Camry and have not heard any issues other than great gas mileage. Based on Fuelly the average reported MPG on Camry has increased whopping 5.3 mpg on 2.5L from 2017s 26.5 to 2018s 31.8!

Although my 1998 Honda CR-V with 181,959 miles is the most reliable vehicle Ive ever owned...

Honda B Series engines are the best 4 cylinders ever made, and probably always will be...I too, am not a fan of Honda much anymore, even in the ATV World, I've switched to Yamaha...

It's a known fact turbo'ing a Honda engine is asking for trouble. I don't know how Honda themselves couldn't fathom that...

There is a new basic review on Youtube, with the new RAV4 and there they mention November December release.
I like the new RAV4, but imho, it looks won't attract to many women. My wife needs a new SUV, not me.
My wife likes the CX3. I like it too, but it does not sit high enough, the small space in the back, and the number of issues, that I had with my CX5, I'm not sure if I will stir her toward Mazda.

I suspect that the HONDA 2.0 DITengine in the CRV & ACURA RDX may have the same issue. I was considering an RDX in a couple of years and hope they get it sorted out. Seems weird that MAZDA and other DIT engines doen't seem to have the same problem to the level that HONDA does. With all the engineering resources that HONDA has, I didn't expect this kind of problem, that should have showed up in very early testing in house. Ed

I suspect that the HONDA 2.0 DITengine in the CRV & ACURA RDX may have the same issue. I was considering an RDX in a couple of years and hope they get it sorted out. Seems weird that MAZDA and other DIT engines doen't seem to have the same problem to the level that HONDA does. With all the engineering resources that HONDA has, I didn't expect this kind of problem, that should have showed up in very early testing in house. Ed

This problem appears to be worse with turbo engines as opposed to NA engines.
Not sure why, as I don't know enough about the systems or mechanicals, but the non turbo Mazda engine does not seem to have this problem.

When I asked the Toyota dealer about the new RAV4, they keep postponing the release date, from October to January next year. Now its February?

May be Toyota wants to make sure everything works correctly and doesnt want to rush it out having the problems like Honda CR-V did. But the new engine and transmission are already there in 2018 Camry and have not heard any issues other than great gas mileage. Based on Fuelly the average reported MPG on Camry has increased whopping 5.3 mpg on 2.5L from 2017s 26.5 to 2018s 31.8!

Yup. New engine is in the new Camry.

https://www.caranddriver.com/flipbook/toyota-camry-reasons-better

My CX7 Mazda turbo didn't have this problem nor do I see any turbo Mazda have is issue. Ed

2019 RAV4 just looks like a Subaru crossover to me.

Anyway, I just don't understand why they went with a 1.5L turbo for the CR-V. Seems to me like that was just asking for trouble, and there it is.

Anyway, I just don't understand why they went with a 1.5L turbo for the CR-V. Seems to me like that was just asking for trouble, and there it is.

imho, the mpg route and cheaper to make.

Kudos for Mazda for implementing an large 4 banger with natural torque but with competitive mpgs. Skyactiv-X is on the horizon which should improve the skyactiv engine's power deliver (less dead spots) but with better mpgs.

Back