Really disappointed with paint thickness :(

:
Mazda,CX-5 GT
10 months in (so half a winter) and all pavement driving I'm really disappointed with the number of paint chips on the hood, fenders and doors. When I was applying the touch up pen I stopped counting at 20 on the hood alone. Over the years it's going to look like it's got measles.

Paging WhitePearls.....

The thin paint isn't just a soul red issue. It also effects the white pearl and MGM paint. Apparently a lot of manufacturers are skimping on paint these days. I'm curious if Infiniti also has these issues, simply because I priced out a QX50 on their website this morning (just for fun) and the only "free" paint they offer is white and black. The other four or five colors they offer are $650 to $750 extra. Mazda's "special" colors are $200 for WP, $300 for MGM, and $450 for SRM. I wonder if the extra cost means the paint is more durable? Another odd thing I noticed is that the accessory prices exclude labour, meaning if you buy mudguards, you have to also pay to install them, lol.

Call Mazda North America and complain to see if they'll do anything for you. Aside from that, you can also complain to your dealer, but they will likely give you some boilerplate verbiage ("it's wear and tear", "the roads get dirtier in winter", "buy PPF to prevent further damage", etc.).

I've had my CX-5 for 41 months now and I don't have one chip or scratch. Maybe I'm lucky. Don't follow closely, especially trucks and park away from everybody in parking lots.
My CX-5 is blue.

Same as wlong01. I have a Soul Red 2014 touring with 45,000 miles and I haven't any paint issues. Ed

My 5 day old Deep Crystal Blue Mica CX-5 , has 1 already, damn PA turnpike!

So just like my last few Mazda's, I go by the 10 foot rule, if it looks good from 10ft away it's good enough. ;)

Last edited:
The paint issue is only for 2017+ CX-5 models...

Nope, also affects CX-9s and probably others as well (not like they shoot one soul red paint on a CX-5 and shoot a different kind on the 6). This may have been a paint formulation change that they did starting in 2016/2017.

How many of you are married? Check behind the door handle. I've been looking at others CX-5's specifically to see if it was just an issue with mine. It's not. Wedding rings are scratching the hell out of that space behind the handle.

I've had my CX-5 for 41 months now and I don't have one chip or scratch. Maybe I'm lucky. Don't follow closely, especially trucks and park away from everybody in parking lots.
My CX-5 is blue.

Amen, on the following too closely. Way to many people on their cell phones and/or a** riding glued to everyone's rear bumper. If people would back up, at least a couple car distances it will make a world of difference for chips and accidents. My friend has an Accord and they are always a** riding, and they too have a ton of chips on their hood. So while Mazdas may have thin paint, following too close even with other brands is guaranteed to get you chipped up.

Our Deep Crystal Blue Mica is 7 months old (bought a 2017 model last March) and has a few stone chips and also 2 fine scratches on the passenger side door, which came from washing the car and trying to use a microfiber cloth to dry it. I find the paint VERY thin on these vehicles. Saw a dealer loaner with 5000 km's on it and it looked like it had been hit by multiple shotgun blasts it had so many chips in the paint. Not impressed...

Nope, also affects CX-9s and probably others as well (not like they shoot one soul red paint on a CX-5 and shoot a different kind on the 6). This may have been a paint formulation change that they did starting in 2016/2017.

Yep, since this is being posted in the CX-5 forum, not the CX-9 forum, my comment is applicable for the particular topic being discussed. People are posting in here that own pre-2017 CX-5's, and the OP has a 2017+ CX-5. Their comments are not applicable to the OP's issue.

How many of you are married? Check behind the door handle. I've been looking at others CX-5's specifically to see if it was just an issue with mine. It's not. Wedding rings are scratching the hell out of that space behind the handle.

I don't wear a wedding ring, but mine is scratched there, too. Must be from my fingernails, which are neither long nor very hard.

Yep, since this is being posted in the CX-5 forum, not the CX-9 forum, my comment is applicable for the particular topic being discussed. People are posting in here that own pre-2017 CX-5's, and the OP has a 2017+ CX-5. Their comments are not applicable to the OP's issue.

The paint issue is only for 2017+ CX-5 models...

Ok..

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123865629-CX-9-2016-Red-Soul-Paint-Issues
https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/sho...ry-Initiated-With-Mazda-USA-Irvine-California

Tell me again how the paint issues are only applicable to 2017+ CX-5s. Unless you think they sprayed a different type of paint on the CX-9, the paint issues are related.

Last edited:
Ok..

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123865629-CX-9-2016-Red-Soul-Paint-Issues
https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/sho...ry-Initiated-With-Mazda-USA-Irvine-California

Tell me again how the paint issues are only applicable to 2017+ CX-5s. Unless you think they sprayed a different type of paint on the CX-9, the paint issues are related.
I think you are misunderstanding. I think he's saying this is the CX-5 forum section so he is referring to CX-5s only.

I think you are misunderstanding. I think he's saying this is the CX-5 forum section so he is referring to CX-5s only.

Fair enough, I was just trying to make the point that the paint issue isn't limited to 2017+ CX5s. If you guys are only concerned with 2017+ paint on CX-5s only, I'll bow out.

Back