Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: DIY Brakes?

Gen-1 Kodo Design 👌 ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by paris1 View Post
    I just had mine turned a month or so ago with the same issue @45k miles. Cost me a grand total of $40 and the brakes are now glass-smooth using the original pads, which were at 50%.
    Yeah, just not sure how I'd take them to get resurfaced since this is my only car.
    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD 2.5L | Jet Black Mica - 86k miles
    01/2013 build | 4/20/2013 delivery

Registered Member

2013 CX-5 Touring FWD; 2013 BMW Z4 35i

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoDriver View Post
    Yeah, just not sure how I'd take them to get resurfaced since this is my only car.
    Friend?

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Hey...good idea. Now to find a shop that can do that...
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

2013 CX-5 Touring FWD; 2013 BMW Z4 35i

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoDriver View Post
    Hey...good idea. Now to find a shop that can do that...
    There are several Les Schwab Tire Canters in the Denver area. That's where I went.

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by paris1 View Post
    There are several Les Schwab Tire Canters in the Denver area. That's where I went.
    Cool. I know where one is by me.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

2013 Mazda CX-5 GT

Front brakes on the CX5 are not challenging. One thing that threw me though was that the front brakes do not use any type of brake pad "spring" (wishbone or spreader) to pull the brake pad back away from the rotor. Just pads and anti rattle clips...done!

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring

I know this is an old thread, but I just wanted to chime in for someone who needs to turn/replace rotors and have only one car. Years ago I bought a second set of rotors for my Integra, since they were cheap enough. I only bought the new rotors that one time. Every time after that, I would have whatever rotors were OFF the car resurfaced, before even starting the brake job. Then I would swap on the freshly resurfaced rotors, take the old ones off, and get those resurfaced later, ready for the next brake job down the road.

I guess some people don't keep cars long enough to need more than one brake job, but I've had that car nearly 300,000 miles so I've done a few brake jobs on it. Having spare rotors absolutely saved me time and money over the years.
    1994 Acura Integra GSR - 370K miles, a few mods
    2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring - 96K miles, the family hauler
    2000 Mazda Miata LS - 155K miles, the corner carving machine!

Registered Member

2016 CX-5 Touring AWD

Did you buy another set of OEM rotors? Or aftermarket? I need to replace my rear brakes and have been debating if I should get the rotors resurfaced or just buy new aftermarket ones.

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring

I'm in the same boat as you, and I just went with a complete set of aftermarket brake kit (r1concept) from Ebay(w/tax $170).

Registered Member

2010 Mazda 5 Sport

Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    Can you do this by the road side in front of your house or in a parking lot near by?

Front brake is easier than the rear. A disk brake pad spreader would help for your job but not a necessary brake tool. Make sure to turn / resurface the rotors by a shop or auto parts store if they have enough thickness by specs and you want reuse them. Or get some aftermarket rotors which usually are cheaper than OEM. Most Euro vehicles such as my VW and BMW have very soft rotors and they becomes too thin you simply can*t reuse them. And their new OEM rotors usually are very expensive too.

Holy crap. I have this in my tool box. Yesterday I was going through my tool box and today I see this thread. I know I bought it once, it's still brand new, but couldn't for the life of me figure out what it was for. I've been using 2 foot carpenter clamps. Oh god. I feel like such an idiot. It must have been in that tool box for 10 years or more and many many brake jobs ago.

2014 Mazda3 S GT auto, 2008 MX5 6-speed

I did the same with an oxygen sensor socket - had it in my tool box so long that I forgot it was there.
    2014 3S GT, Deep Crystal Blue, Eibach Pro-Kit, Enkei PF01s, Koni Sports, Pirelli P ZERO ALL SEASON PLUS tires, 225/45/18
    2008 MX-5 Touring (Mazdaspeed CAI, HIDs, Progress/Koni Sports/Racing Beat sways, SST Magnaflow muffler and tips)

Registered Member

2017 Mazda CX-5 Touring

Brake cleaner on new rotors

Just a tip for brake newbies. If you do end up buying new rotors, they typically come coated with oil to prevent rust. Thoroughly clean the rotors with brake cleaner before installing. For most DIY people this is obvious but I have heard of newbies missing this step.

Registered Member

2015 CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Quote Originally Posted by DrElectron View Post
    Just a tip for brake newbies. If you do end up buying new rotors, they typically come coated with oil to prevent rust. Thoroughly clean the rotors with brake cleaner before installing. For most DIY people this is obvious but I have heard of newbies missing this step.
    Good tip! When I did mine there was no indication anywhere to do this (not in box, instructions online, video). Thankfully, I had a retired mechanic "supervise" me the first time just to make sure I didn't screw it up and he told me to do this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123