Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mobil1 rebates

13' CX-5 and 16' Mazda6 both Touring w/Tech/Bose

Along time ago when skyactiv engines first came out. I could've sworn Mazda put out communication to dealership shops to specifically use skyactiv filters to ensure no issues occur.

Registered Member

2013 Mazda CX-5 Sport FWD Auto

Just the bulletin shared above in my memory and forum searches.

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow Mobil1 rebates

Quote Originally Posted by CX-5um View Post
    Along time ago when skyactiv engines first came out. I could've sworn Mazda put out communication to dealership shops to specifically use skyactiv filters to ensure no issues occur.
    See post #12 above. Can you see Mazda North American Operations’ document posted by AdzamOZ?

Registered Member

2013 Mazda CX-5 Sport FWD Auto

Response from Mobil:

“It is true that many newer engines like the Skyactiv engine have higher flow rates then previous engines. We have manufactured and tested the Mobil 1 filters for higher then required flow rates and have no issues. The M1-108A is the correct filter and it will handle the flow rate of the Skyactiv engines. We have been using the M1-108 and M1-108A oil filters on these engines since they came to the market and have had no issues with performance, fit, or function.

Sincerely

Tech Hotline Team”

—————
    Jives with the 11-17 bypass flow Mobil 1 specification I found in another thread (said to have been provided by Mobil tech support), which is in line with the Mazda OEM spec of 11-14 (again, no source but quoted on other threads). Mobil 1 filter has an anti-flow back feature. Whoop de doo.

Keep using an OEM filter if you have them or prefer them. I like getting these Mobil 1 filters in combo with their oil because they’re $5 after rebate and are at the same store. I’ll continue to sleep easy, lol! How many hundreds of thousands of these cars are on the road getting whatever oil filter Joe Blow at Jiffy Lube is throwing on there, with nary a report on here of engine failure due to restriction within the oil system (and with no TSB’s to date regarding aftermarket oil filters)? This is a high quality filter per BITOG and I’ll continue to use them along with Wix, Amsoil and the OEM filters as I need them.

'16.5 CX-5 Touring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    Not sure if this $10 M1-108A oil filter would meet specs of the OEM special high-flow oil filter for Mazda’s SkyActiv-G engine. If this M1 filter is listed for many other vehicles, chances are it’s just another generic oil filter only with the same fit size. I’d get a $7 OEM filter designed specifically for our engine.
    You've got a lot of knowledge about this platform. But for the love of God, give this filter thing a rest. The M1 filter is perfectly fine to use on these cars.
    2018 Giulia Ti Sport
    • 2.0l Turbo - 2k miles - Factory fill & filter

2016.5 CX-5 Touring AWD
    • 2.5l I4 - 49k miles - SynPower w/ MaxLife 0w20 - PureOne - 8k/1yr

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12