Mobil1 rebates

:
2023 CX-5 2.5 Turbo AWD Auto
RIP 8/23:2013 CX-5 Sport FWD Auto 120k
https://slickdeals.net/f/12099655-mobil1-full-synthetic-oil-10-88-after-rebate-walmart

Figured Id share this before it expires. I take advantage of these rebates all of the time as I service 3 vehicles for my family with 0w-20 oil. Currently have enough stocked up for 5 more oil changes, lol. Current Mobil1 promotion expires 10/31, not sure how long Walmarts price will last.

Walmart is a participating retailer for this promotion, and their oil is currently priced at $23 for 0w-20. That alone qualifies for $12 rebate. Toss in a $10 Mobil1 filter, youre at $33-$17 rebate=$16 oil change. Up to two claims per household for this rebate. Seems the path of least resistance is simply buying in store. Others are having mixed success ordering online as the invoice Walmart gives you is too simple. Doesnt have any info like shipping confirmation or in store order pickup status. Thats leading to rebate denials.

Which filter did you buy?
Usually, I pick up 6 qts from Costco, or last time at Sam's club, for around $26.

I use the m1-108a extended performance filter. The m1-108 should work too.

I use the m1-108a extended performance filter. The m1-108 should work too.
Not sure if this $10 M1-108A oil filter would meet specs of the OEM special high-flow oil filter for Mazdas SkyActiv-G engine. If this M1 filter is listed for many other vehicles, chances are its just another generic oil filter only with the same fit size. Id get a $7 OEM filter designed specifically for our engine.

Which filter did you buy?
Usually, I pick up 6 qts from Costco, or last time at Sam's club, for around $26.
I didn*t know Sam*s Club still exists in LA! ;) We have Sam*s Club at first since many years ago. But its business is no longer doing well since Costco came.

I*d get a $7 OEM filter designed specifically for our engine.

Sadly I am finding these $7 filters harder to come by. Locally they seem to gouge here and charge over $10 for the Mexico filter let alone the Thailand one!

And online, the Amazon source where I had bought it for $7 before has jumped up to $14 or $15. And the Mazda sites online end up being about the same when you factor in shipping, unless you buy a bunch at once.

I ended up just getting a Wix 57002 filter locally for $8 on the change I did this weekend.

But if I find a good source for $7 Thailand made OEM filters, will definitely go that route again.

Sadly I am finding these $7 filters harder to come by. Locally they seem to gouge here and charge over $10 for the Mexico filter let alone the Thailand one!

And online, the Amazon source where I had bought it for $7 before has jumped up to $14 or $15. And the Mazda sites online end up being about the same when you factor in shipping, unless you buy a bunch at once.

I ended up just getting a Wix 57002 filter locally for $8 on the change I did this weekend.

But if I find a good source for $7 Thailand made OEM filters, will definitely go that route again.
Didn*t know the price on maintenance parts for CX-5 has been going up a lot lately. The same happened to Mazda FL22 coolant (what did you do on that, BTW?). Has this anything to do with Trump*s trade war? I stocked 22 Japanese OEM oil filters when it was still available and I was thinking that I*ll have 2 CX-5*s to use it as I was planning to get a second CX-5 in 2018.

Once I used up my Japanese filter in 10+ years, I wouldn*t hesitate to use OEM Mexican oil filter as someone at Bob is the Oil Guy has ripped one open and found it*s a pretty high quality oil filter. And I believe Wix 57002, which is custom made for SkyActiv-G, is also made in Mexico.

Not sure if this $10 M1-108A oil filter would meet specs of the OEM special high-flow oil filter for Mazdas SkyActiv-G engine. If this M1 filter is listed for many other vehicles, chances are its just another generic oil filter only with the same fit size. Id get a $7 OEM filter designed specifically for our engine.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3709393/Mobil_EP_Filter_Ok_for_Skyacti

I looked it up, trusted a random BITOG post that seems to have vaguely referenced this forum, lol!

Didn*t know the price on maintenance parts for CX-5 has been going up a lot lately. The same happened to Mazda FL22 coolant (what did you do on that, BTW?). Has this anything to do with Trump*s trade war? I stocked 22 Japanese OEM oil filters when it was still available and I was thinking that I*ll have 2 CX-5*s to use it as I was planning to get a second CX-5 in 2018.

Once I used up my Japanese filter in 10+ years, I wouldn*t hesitate to use OEM Mexican oil filter as someone at Bob is the Oil Guy has ripped one open and found it*s a pretty high quality oil filter. And I believe Wix 57002, which is custom made for SkyActiv-G, is also made in Mexico.

I still need to grab some FL-22 and top up. Once I cleaned my engine bay and could much better see the level in the reservoir, it is far below the L.

I have no problem with the Mexican oil filter. I agree that the filter itself is of high quality. But I'm not paying some jack off dealer here locally over $10 for it. I'll grab the Wix 57002 before I do that.

Wix looked very close to the Mexican filter in my opinion. I mean aside from the color, it looks like the Thailand filter too, but it is not plastic sealed like the Thailand filter, so reminded me of the Mexican made filter in that respect. In terms of the internals, not sure, but overall looked like the Thailand filter I took off.

Just wanted to pass along some savings I take advantage of, didnt mean to spark a oil and filter combo debate :D

If you want a $5 filter with your oil purchase after rebate, Mobils got one for you. If you prefer the OEM filter, get yourself a $12 rebate on great oil. Id reach out to Mobil myself to confirm pressure and bypass specs etc etc, but I honestly have lost no sleep choosing to use their filter off and on over the last 50k miles.

Just wanted to pass along some savings I take advantage of, didn*t mean to spark a oil and filter combo debate :D

If you want a $5 filter with your oil purchase after rebate, Mobil*s got one for you. If you prefer the OEM filter, get yourself a $12 rebate on great oil. I*d reach out to Mobil myself to confirm pressure and bypass specs etc etc, but I honestly have lost no sleep choosing to use their filter off and on over the last 50k miles.

LOL, bringing up oil on any forum is like talking about religious beliefs...!!

Just wanted to pass along some savings I take advantage of, didnt mean to spark a oil and filter combo debate :D

If you want a $5 filter with your oil purchase after rebate, Mobils got one for you. If you prefer the OEM filter, get yourself a $12 rebate on great oil. Id reach out to Mobil myself to confirm pressure and bypass specs etc etc, but I honestly have lost no sleep choosing to use their filter off and on over the last 50k miles.
According to Mobil 1 web site, both 2013 Mazda CX-5 and 2013 Mazda2 use the same M1-108A M1 EP oil filter.

But from Mazdas official document posted by AdzamOZ, CX-5 cant use B6Y1-14-302A oil filter designed for Mazda2 although it will fit. Would you use this M1 EP filter which claimed to fit both vehicles, but Mazda says they use 2 different filters? I wouldnt!

Here is one MNAO PDF to their US Mazda Dealers concerning genuine Oil Filter(s) installation and use for ALL SA Engines..
Mazda Dealers (in USA particularly) are also seeing stored DTC's (Diagnostic Trouble Codes in PCM) when they use even 'other' genuine Mazda oil filters in Skyactiv engines, see pic, they look identical, but it is what is inside.

attachment.php

I get what youre saying, but I dont think thats comparing apples to apples here (and most likely looking at the situation from the opposite angle).

The M1-108 is said to be designed and work just fine for Skyactiv high flow applications. As such, it would work just fine for a lower flow application like on the Mazda 2. Mobils supposed compatibility for the Mazda 2 doesnt automatically equate to a lower flow filter.

Last edited:
I get what youre saying, but I dont think thats comparing apples to apples here (and most likely looking at the situation from the opposite angle).

The M1-108 is said to be designed and work just fine for Skyactiv high flow applications. As such, it would work just fine for a lower flow application like on the Mazda 2. Mobils supposed compatibility for the Mazda 2 doesnt automatically equate to a lower flow filter.
M1-108A came out fitting Mazda2 and many other vehicles even before CX-5 becoming available in US market. How can it be designed to meet SA-G high-flow and other requirement afterwards?

M1-108A came out fitting Mazda2 and many other vehicles even before CX-5 becoming available in US market. How can it be designed to meet SA-G high-flow and other requirement afterwards?

Brother, I don't know. I don't work for Mobil and I forgot this has been argued ad-nauseam in other threads. I look at the bulletin picture and see a filter on the left that likely works for the CX-5 and 2, and a filter on the right that should only be used on a 2.

I reached out to Mobil for technical specs, but in the meantime it looks like it has a bypass valve setting of 11-17, and has an anti-drainback feature that is "technically" not spec for a SkyActiv engine (because it doesn't require one), etc etc. Just trying to pass along a good deal before it expires for an oil and filter that works just fine on my car (and for convienience can be to purchased with one-stop shopping).

Last edited:
Along time ago when skyactiv engines first came out. I could've sworn Mazda put out communication to dealership shops to specifically use skyactiv filters to ensure no issues occur.

Just the bulletin shared above in my memory and forum searches.

Along time ago when skyactiv engines first came out. I could've sworn Mazda put out communication to dealership shops to specifically use skyactiv filters to ensure no issues occur.
See post #12 above. Can you see Mazda North American Operations document posted by AdzamOZ?

Response from Mobil:

It is true that many newer engines like the Skyactiv engine have higher flow rates then previous engines. We have manufactured and tested the Mobil 1 filters for higher then required flow rates and have no issues. The M1-108A is the correct filter and it will handle the flow rate of the Skyactiv engines. We have been using the M1-108 and M1-108A oil filters on these engines since they came to the market and have had no issues with performance, fit, or function.

Sincerely

Tech Hotline Team

Jives with the 11-17 bypass flow Mobil 1 specification I found in another thread (said to have been provided by Mobil tech support), which is in line with the Mazda OEM spec of 11-14 (again, no source but quoted on other threads). Mobil 1 filter has an anti-flow back feature. Whoop de doo.

Keep using an OEM filter if you have them or prefer them. I like getting these Mobil 1 filters in combo with their oil because theyre $5 after rebate and are at the same store. Ill continue to sleep easy, lol! How many hundreds of thousands of these cars are on the road getting whatever oil filter Joe Blow at Jiffy Lube is throwing on there, with nary a report on here of engine failure due to restriction within the oil system (and with no TSBs to date regarding aftermarket oil filters)? This is a high quality filter per BITOG and Ill continue to use them along with Wix, Amsoil and the OEM filters as I need them.

You've got a lot of knowledge about this platform. But for the love of God, give this filter thing a rest. The M1 filter is perfectly fine to use on these cars.

Back