New to me 2016 CX-5 Sport AWD

tbearmiata

:
Mazda CX-5 Sport AWD
Was looking for a relatively cheap replacement for my teenage son's '09 Forester. Ended up buying a 2016 AWD model with lots of hail damage for $6.5k (I don't care what it looks like really). It's on the truck headed to me.

Mazda emailed me the sticker and it looks like it's a completely base AWD model with 50k miles for Hertz. Since there are no service records I was going to replace fluids (oil, diff, brake) to start with on the car just to get maintenance up to date.

Anything else that I should do? Kind of excited to have an upcoming winter project to stay busy. Pretty much have fixed everything on my '06 Miata.

Was looking for a relatively cheap replacement for my teenage son's '09 Forester. Ended up buying a 2016 AWD model with lots of hail damage for $6.5k (I don't care what it looks like really). It's on the truck headed to me.

Mazda emailed me the sticker and it looks like it's a completely base AWD model with 50k miles for Hertz. Since there are no service records I was going to replace fluids (oil, diff, brake) to start with on the car just to get maintenance up to date.

Anything else that I should do? Kind of excited to have an upcoming winter project to stay busy. Pretty much have fixed everything on my '06 Miata.

That's ridiculously awesome!

Oil, for sure.
Brake fluid? yeah, not a bad call, but honestly, I might wait until the brakes are due soon.
Diff fluid? I dunno man, I had done mine at 28,800 like t he manual says, and it looked fine, and the replacement diff (my original was ruined via water incursion), I now have 60K miles on without changing, and every time they check it, they say the fluid looks new.

I would be more about putting good tires on it and getting an alignment if needed.

Good thought. I will give it an going over when it gets here and see about brakes, tires, etc. Good thing is that I am in no rush to get it on the road so I can take it easy on the bank account.

That's ridiculously awesome!
Diff fluid? I dunno man, I had done mine at 28,800 like t he manual says, and it looked fine, and the replacement diff (my original was ruined via water incursion), I now have 60K miles on without changing, and every time they check it, they say the fluid looks new.

I would be more about putting good tires on it and getting an alignment if needed.

I had them check my Diff fluid on my 2016 at 50k and they told me it was probably good for another 20-30k miles. Thats the one awesome thing about the CX-5, I had mine for 70k miles, only ever changed oil every 5k and rotated tires, when needed replaced one set of brakes and one set of tires. I never owned a vehicle with so little maintenance needed.

When I saw the title, I though you*re the one stepped in front and bought this used 2016 CX-5 Sport discussed in another thread! ;)

My 1998 Honda CR-V has lots of hail marks too. The good thing is I don*t have to do any waxing job anymore on paint, and park at farthest parking lot spot just to avoid the door dings.

With 50K miles, it*s a right time to replace most fluids especially people have found out many of these fluids were under-filled from factory. Other than those you mentioned, there*s front transfer case gear oil you should change with Mazda SG1 gear oil along with the rear differential. And I*d also do drain-and-fill on automatic transmission with Mazda FZ ATF. And check your engine coolant level most likely it*s low too. Top off only with Mazda FL22 coolant.

Last edited:
I had them check my Diff fluid on my 2016 at 50k and they told me it was probably good for another 20-30k miles. Thats the one awesome thing about the CX-5, I had mine for 70k miles, only ever changed oil every 5k and rotated tires, when needed replaced one set of brakes and one set of tires. I never owned a vehicle with so little maintenance needed.
Really? I got feeling your dealer didnt even open the fill-hole checking the lub level, not to mention theres front transfer case needs to be checked at the same time. Almost every member who bothered to check the rear differential has found the gear lub level is way low, you cant even feel the oil front the fill-hole. And the gear oil drained looks very dark as theres clutch pack in there which will produce lots of contaminations to the gear lub with heavy use of the rear differential by design on 2016 CX-5 AWD.

When I saw the title, I though you*re the one stepped in front and bought this used 2016 CX-5 Sport discussed in another thread! ;)

My 1908 Honda CR-V has lots of hail marks too. The good thing is I don*t have to do any waxing job anymore on paint, and park at farthest parking lot spot just to avoid the door dings.

Wow! Honda really knows their stuff! Can you imagine a 110 year old CX-5? They don't make them like that any more...

Last edited:
Really? I got feeling your dealer didn*t even open the fill-hole checking the lub level, not to mention there*s front transfer case needs to be checked at the same time. Almost every member who bothered to check the rear differential has found the gear lub level is way low, you can*t even feel the oil front the fill-hole. And the gear oil drained looks very dark as there*s clutch pack in there which will produce lots of contaminations to the gear lub with heavy use of the rear differential by design on 2016 CX-5 AWD.

It's very possible. Sadly I have no time to do any maintenance myself, other than wipers, air filters, and washer fluid refills. I pretty much have to trust what they are telling me. I know that on my last Mazda 3, the transmission fluid needing to be changed like every 25k miles, due to it being so discolored (burned up I think was the term they used). On my previous CX-5 they told me it was fine at the 25k and 50k check up. There was no dipstick on my 2016 CX-5 to check it myself.

Been going to the same dealer maintenance department almost 15 years now.

Last edited:
Wow! Honda really knows their stuff! Can you imagine a 110 year old CX-5? They don't make them like that any more...
Fat finger on cell phone, the result is a 110 years old Honda CR-V, and all the apostrophes changed to asterisks after the edit.

50k miles?

Oil change for sure. Check the cabin and engine air filters while you're at it and replace if needed.

Rear diff and transfer case probably good for a while longer, but I agree it's not a bad idea to just get those done so it's new and filled to the proper levels. I had mine done around 60k miles (if I remember correctly).

I also agree with Yrwei that I'd go ahead and do a transmission fluid drain/fill session and then periodically do that to get new fluid in. Mine was also slightly low from the factory, so good idea to get that to the proper level on the dipstick.

Besides just the brake fluid, I'd check the brakes themselves and the rotors. My rears were done around 54k miles. I'm at almost 74k miles now and suspect fronts may be needed soon.

Check your engine coolant levels as well, and top off with Mazda FL-22 as needed.

Tires if needed.

Last edited:
Are there any more of these things available? How did you go about finding it?

Screw it, I'll drop 6500 today for one...

I know that on my last Mazda 3, the transmission fluid needing to be changed like every 25k miles, due to it being so discolored (burned up I think was the term they used). On my previous CX-5 they told me it was fine at the 25k and 50k check up. There was no dipstick on my 2016 CX-5 to check it myself.

Actually there is a dipstick, however you have to either access it from below the car (by removing the plastic shield underneath), or from the top, under the hood, by removing the air box. Where the dipstick is, acts as the fill hole, and the transmission pan underneath the car has a drain plug like the oil pan.

And at 72k miles when I did 3 drain/fill sessions of my transmission fluid, I do wish I had started doing that closer to 50k miles. The fluid wasn't bad, but it was darker than I wished. Capacity is around 8.2 quarts if I remember correctly. A fluid drain/fill session will get out about 3.5 quarts or more (according to the manual). When I refilled with the same 3.5 quarts, I found that the factory level was low and it wasn't enough. 4 quarts ended up being too much. 3.7 quarts was perfect and right in line on the dipstick.

Last edited:
It's very possible. Sadly I have no time to do any maintenance myself, other than wipers, air filters, and washer fluid refills. I pretty much have to trust what they are telling me. I know that on my last Mazda 3, the transmission fluid needing to be changed like every 25k miles, due to it being so discolored (burned up I think was the term they used). On my previous CX-5 they told me it was fine at the 25k and 50k check up. There was no dipstick on my 2016 CX-5 to check it myself.

Been going to the same dealer maintenance department almost 15 years now.
I understand many car owners are either don't have time to do maintenance by themselves, or not interested DIY on maintenance even if they have time. They have to rely on someone else for proper maintenance. The best bet still is the dealership although they're usually more expensive. Unfortunately some dealers can't provide quality service for maintenance. There's a way to avoid this by telling them which maintenance item to be done based on manufacture's maintenance schedule, and additional items you believe they should be done such as ATF and gear oil changes.

I understand many car owners are either don't have time to do maintenance by themselves, or not interested DIY on maintenance even if they have time. They have to rely on someone else for proper maintenance. The best bet still is the dealership although they're usually more expensive. Unfortunately some dealers can't provide quality service for maintenance. There's a way to avoid this by telling them which maintenance item to be done based on manufacture's maintenance schedule, and additional items you believe they should be done such as ATF and gear oil changes.

Hypocritical much?

Dealership mechanics are normally some of the worst out there. Granted, there's always a few that are good, but for the most part, you do not get what you pay for...

Are there any more of these things available? How did you go about finding it?

Screw it, I'll drop 6500 today for one...
Yep OP found an excellent deal for his need. Hertz, the previous owner, apparently took the money and ran, still came up on top even though they were selling it cheap. My CX-5 have suffered hail damage twice, each fix cost about $8,000 to $10,000!

Eh...I don't trust the dealership at all. Not when they are trying to sell me SkyActiv automatic transmission fluid flushes which as we know cannot be done.

I have a trusted mechanic. I just haven't had to use him since I got my CX-5 as he's not in a convenient location for smaller stuff. But for major stuff, he's honest, priced great, and I'd have no problem asking him questions and talking about the car to ensure he does whatever is correct for the CX-5, including using the right Mazda fluids even if I had to provide them (for instance the ATF Type FZ, or Mazda FL-22). I'd rather a guy like that than a dealership trying to sell me services that can't actually be done for beaucoup bucks any day.

Eh...I don't trust the dealership at all. Not when they are trying to sell me SkyActiv automatic transmission fluid flushes which as we know cannot be done.

I have a trusted mechanic. I just haven't had to use him since I got my CX-5 as he's not in a convenient location for smaller stuff. But for major stuff, he's honest, priced great, and I'd have no problem asking him questions and talking about the car to ensure he does whatever is correct for the CX-5, including using the right Mazda fluids even if I had to provide them (for instance the ATF Type FZ, or Mazda FL-22). I'd rather a guy like that than a dealership trying to sell me services that can't actually be done for beaucoup bucks any day.

Smart man...

Ill just say ive never had to come behind the dealership and properly torque suspension components. Dealership does work for me at the same price any other shop would, and i find their workmanship superior.

Ill just say ive never had to come behind the dealership and properly torque suspension components. Dealership does work for me at the same price any other shop would, and i find their workmanship superior.

Yeah, there is truth to that too if you find a quality dealership service department, but obviously that's going to vary from area to area.

Back