Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Two dumb questions

  1. #1
    Registered Member

    2018 Cx-5 grand touring w/prem. pkg.

    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    n. central FL
    Posts
    9

    Question Two dumb questions

    This is our 1st Mazda. Can't find anywhere about a fuel filter and at what interval the factory recommends automatic transaxle fluid change on USA 2018 cx-5.

  2. #2
    Registered Member erhayes's Avatar
    Donated: $10

    Mazda CX-5 FWD Touring

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Cape Coral, FL.
    Posts
    2,589
    The owners manual is a great read. Q1,. The fuel filter is mounted in the fuel take and has no scheduled replacement interval. Q2. There is no scheduled fluid replacement for the ATF fluid. Ed

  3. #3
    Registered Member

    2018 Cx-5 grand touring w/prem. pkg.

    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    n. central FL
    Posts
    9
    Thanks Ed couldn't find any info in Mazda vitual manual.

  4. #4
    Resident barbarian ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Denver, Colorado
    Posts
    3,413
    Mazda claims ATF to be "lifetime transmission fluid" that only needs replacing if major transmission work is done. Hence no service schedule for it.

    However, if you read between the lines....What is defined as "lifetime"? And could the mentioned "major transmission work" be from lack of fluid changes necessitating such work? Who knows.

    Anyway, there isn't a way to perform ATF fluid flushes to replace all the fluid, but many folks including myself believe ATF fluid changes consisting of drain and fill sessions are better than nothing. Each session will get out about 40% of the fluid. I just did 3 sessions (each a week apart) myself. A lot of folks seem to do drain/fill anywhere from 40-60k miles.
    Last edited by ColoradoDriver; 10-02-2018 at 09:56 PM.
    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD | Jet Black Mica - 74k miles
    01/2013 build | 4/20/2013 buy

  5. #5
    Registered Member

    CX-5

    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoDriver View Post
    Mazda claims ATF to be "lifetime transmission fluid" that only needs replacing if major transmission work is done. Hence no service schedule for it.

    However, if you read between the lines....What is defined as "lifetime"? And could the mentioned "major transmission work" be from lack of fluid changes necessitating such work? Who knows.

    Anyway, there isn't a way to perform ATF fluid flushes to replace all the fluid, but many folks including myself believe ATF fluid changes consisting of drain and fill sessions are better than nothing. Each session will get out about 40% of the fluid. I just did 3 sessions (each a week apart) myself. A lot of folks seem to do drain/fill anywhere from 40-60k miles.
    WRT the transmission. If you maintain your vehicle, have all the records, do the odd maintenance service at a dealership, it will be hard for them to deny your claim if your tranny shits the bed if you have a stack of maintenance records. Especially if you have some major service intervals completed at the dealership. Don't stress to much about this.

  6. #6
    Registered Member

    2013 Mazda CX-5 Sport FWD Auto

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    49
    Canít make a claim outside 5 years/60k miles without extended warranty....

  7. #7
    Registered Member erhayes's Avatar
    Donated: $10

    Mazda CX-5 FWD Touring

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Cape Coral, FL.
    Posts
    2,589
    I couldn't find anywhere that MAZDA claimed it was a "Lifetime" ATF. There just was no scheduled maintenance listed for the duration of the service book mileage. Ed

  8. #8
    Resident barbarian ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Denver, Colorado
    Posts
    3,413
    Quote Originally Posted by erhayes View Post
    I couldn't find anywhere that MAZDA claimed it was a "Lifetime" ATF. There just was no scheduled maintenance listed for the duration of the service book mileage. Ed
    Well...I have personally emailed Mazda NAO and "lifetime fluid" is exactly what they call it though they absolutely refused to define what "lifetime" was.

    Also, if you google around about CX-5 transmission fluid intervals, various Mazda dealer sites will claim the same.

    It's also safe to assume that an absence of any schedule listing for transmission fluid implies a "lifetime fluid".

    Of course at which point we argue back and forth on sites like this one on if one should follow that thinking and never change the fluid, or else periodically perform drain/fill service to get new fluid in there.

    As for me, I plan to own my CX-5 a long time, so I did do some drain/fills of the ATF. It was also underfilled from the factory and not in-line with what the service manual says it should be on the dipstick.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

  9. #9
    Registered Member

    2016.5 GT AWD

    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    139
    As for fuel filters, they disappeared years ago (gas engines at least). About the time auto makers shifted to plastic fuel tanks and electronic fuel pumps. Which seems strange to me as fuel injection is all it's forms would seem to be susceptible to particle contamination. But I guess it's not a problem. Probably time to get rid of my timing light and dwell/tach meter.

  10. #10
    Registered Member erhayes's Avatar
    Donated: $10

    Mazda CX-5 FWD Touring

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Cape Coral, FL.
    Posts
    2,589
    I questioned my dealer about MAZDA NOT having a service interval on my CX5 and he said I should do a fluid change at 100,000 if it makes me feel better. Ed

  11. #11
    Resident barbarian ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Denver, Colorado
    Posts
    3,413
    Quote Originally Posted by erhayes View Post
    I questioned my dealer about MAZDA NOT having a service interval on my CX5 and he said I should do a fluid change at 100,000 if it makes me feel better. Ed
    I would do it before then if I were you. I did mine at 72k miles and really wish I had done it at 50k instead. No problems, but my fluid was darker than others I've seen on here that changed it sooner.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

  12. #12
    Registered Member
    Donated: $15

    2016.5 CX 5 Touring AWD, 2015 SCION XB

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    ABE area, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    1,106
    Quote Originally Posted by Seabright View Post
    As for fuel filters, they disappeared years ago (gas engines at least). About the time auto makers shifted to plastic fuel tanks and electronic fuel pumps. Which seems strange to me as fuel injection is all it's forms would seem to be susceptible to particle contamination. But I guess it's not a problem. Probably time to get rid of my timing light and dwell/tach meter.
    They're in the fuel tank, 2 of them, high pressure and low pressure

Similar Threads

  1. some dumb questions
    By scottsmp5 in forum Protege5
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-29-2011, 10:45 AM
  2. Dumb Car Questions Thread
    By alexelie in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-14-2010, 03:57 PM
  3. dumb questions... just wondering
    By joelnazab in forum Mazda3 Engine & Transmission
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-17-2008, 04:33 AM
  4. a couple of dumb questions from a newbie...
    By joemazda in forum Mazda Protege
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-20-2006, 10:01 PM
  5. Score I got free stuff!!! - Few Dumb Questions
    By ZeroAccess in forum Mazda How-To
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-03-2005, 05:43 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •