Two dumb questions

:
2022 CX-9 Signature
This is our 1st Mazda. Can't find anywhere about a fuel filter and at what interval the factory recommends automatic transaxle fluid change on USA 2018 cx-5.

The owners manual is a great read. Q1,. The fuel filter is mounted in the fuel take and has no scheduled replacement interval. Q2. There is no scheduled fluid replacement for the ATF fluid. Ed

Mazda claims ATF to be "lifetime transmission fluid" that only needs replacing if major transmission work is done. Hence no service schedule for it.

However, if you read between the lines....What is defined as "lifetime"? And could the mentioned "major transmission work" be from lack of fluid changes necessitating such work? Who knows.

Anyway, there isn't a way to perform ATF fluid flushes to replace all the fluid, but many folks including myself believe ATF fluid changes consisting of drain and fill sessions are better than nothing. Each session will get out about 40% of the fluid. I just did 3 sessions (each a week apart) myself. A lot of folks seem to do drain/fill anywhere from 40-60k miles.

Last edited:
Mazda claims ATF to be "lifetime transmission fluid" that only needs replacing if major transmission work is done. Hence no service schedule for it.

However, if you read between the lines....What is defined as "lifetime"? And could the mentioned "major transmission work" be from lack of fluid changes necessitating such work? Who knows.

Anyway, there isn't a way to perform ATF fluid flushes to replace all the fluid, but many folks including myself believe ATF fluid changes consisting of drain and fill sessions are better than nothing. Each session will get out about 40% of the fluid. I just did 3 sessions (each a week apart) myself. A lot of folks seem to do drain/fill anywhere from 40-60k miles.

WRT the transmission. If you maintain your vehicle, have all the records, do the odd maintenance service at a dealership, it will be hard for them to deny your claim if your tranny s**** the bed if you have a stack of maintenance records. Especially if you have some major service intervals completed at the dealership. Don't stress to much about this.

Cant make a claim outside 5 years/60k miles without extended warranty....

I couldn't find anywhere that MAZDA claimed it was a "Lifetime" ATF. There just was no scheduled maintenance listed for the duration of the service book mileage. Ed

I couldn't find anywhere that MAZDA claimed it was a "Lifetime" ATF. There just was no scheduled maintenance listed for the duration of the service book mileage. Ed

Well...I have personally emailed Mazda NAO and "lifetime fluid" is exactly what they call it though they absolutely refused to define what "lifetime" was.

Also, if you google around about CX-5 transmission fluid intervals, various Mazda dealer sites will claim the same.

It's also safe to assume that an absence of any schedule listing for transmission fluid implies a "lifetime fluid".

Of course at which point we argue back and forth on sites like this one on if one should follow that thinking and never change the fluid, or else periodically perform drain/fill service to get new fluid in there. (dunno)

As for me, I plan to own my CX-5 a long time, so I did do some drain/fills of the ATF. It was also underfilled from the factory and not in-line with what the service manual says it should be on the dipstick.

As for fuel filters, they disappeared years ago (gas engines at least). About the time auto makers shifted to plastic fuel tanks and electronic fuel pumps. Which seems strange to me as fuel injection is all it's forms would seem to be susceptible to particle contamination. But I guess it's not a problem. Probably time to get rid of my timing light and dwell/tach meter.

I questioned my dealer about MAZDA NOT having a service interval on my CX5 and he said I should do a fluid change at 100,000 if it makes me feel better. Ed

I questioned my dealer about MAZDA NOT having a service interval on my CX5 and he said I should do a fluid change at 100,000 if it makes me feel better. Ed

I would do it before then if I were you. I did mine at 72k miles and really wish I had done it at 50k instead. No problems, but my fluid was darker than others I've seen on here that changed it sooner.

As for fuel filters, they disappeared years ago (gas engines at least). About the time auto makers shifted to plastic fuel tanks and electronic fuel pumps. Which seems strange to me as fuel injection is all it's forms would seem to be susceptible to particle contamination. But I guess it's not a problem. Probably time to get rid of my timing light and dwell/tach meter.

They're in the fuel tank, 2 of them, high pressure and low pressure

Back