2004 Mazda3 P2177 and P2188

rguerreiro92

:
2004 Mazda 3 2.3L Hatchback
Hey guys
First timer posting here, there were a lot of threads that were very helpful and I used on my car so I would like to thank you all in advance.

I have a 2004 Mazda 3 2.3L hatchback (manual) and I have been getting the code P2177 (System too lean at idle bank 1).
The car if warmed up felt okay but not perfect as in its second gear I would press the gas and then I felt some lack of power and a couple seconds later followed by a hit of power (I'm not sure if I'm explaining well but I'm trying my best)
If the car was left overnight and I simply turn it on and start driving it which shouldn't be a problem or do anything too different at all, specially with warm weather still, but I put my first gear on and as I start driving it and take the foot off the clutch I feel like a HUGE KICK or HICCUP, like it's breaking by itself with full foot on the break.
I went to the mechanic and he was explaining me that could be a lot of things and that he would have to go with an elimination process since he can return parts if the part he thought was not the issue so I wouldn't have to be spending loads of money on the car with unnecessary things, so he said he wanted to start off with the MAF sensor and he said the cost to replace that would be roughly $350, I went on the web and I saw it was super easy to change and that the part is around $80-$100 so I bought one.
After I bought it and I cleared all the codes and started driving the car, I did feel a lot of difference since it wasn't giving me any kicking or lacking of power, but I smelled gas when I started it and 5 miles later check engine light on for the code P2188 (System too rich at idle bank 1).

EDIT: On 1st and 2nd gear if I press the gas and let it go right away the car jerks twice, I would also like to know what this could be.

PS: I am testing a new MAF sensor to make sure the part I bought was not defective.

So far I replaced:
-O2 Sensor
-Air filter
-Cleaned MAF sensor and the hose its on
-Spark plugs
-Fuel pump (fuel pressure reading is good)
-Complete engine intake manifold
-PCV Valve
-Engine coolant thermostat housing
-Vapor canister purge valve

Thank you
Ricardo Guerreiro

Oxygen sensor: Did you buy an OEM oxygen sensor? If not, that could be your problem.
Did you check for vacuum leaks with a vacuum gauge?

Oxygen sensor: Did you buy an OEM oxygen sensor? If not, that could be your problem.
Did you check for vacuum leaks with a vacuum gauge?

O2 Sensor is indeed OEM

And I'm not too sure if my mechanic checked those yet!

Also I returned the new MAF sensor thinking it could've been a defective part, today I got a different code

P2196 - O2 Sensor Signal Stuck Rich Bank1 Sensor 1
I'm starting to feel there's something else besides bad MAF sensor!

O2 Sensor is indeed OEM

And I'm not too sure if my mechanic checked those yet!

Also I returned the new MAF sensor thinking it could've been a defective part, today I got a different code

P2196 - O2 Sensor Signal Stuck Rich Bank1 Sensor 1
I'm starting to feel there's something else besides bad MAF sensor!

@rguerreiro92 Did you ever resolve your issues? Including the P2188 code?

I have the same error code P2196 O2 Sensor Signal Stuck Rich Bank1 Sensor 1. New OEM O2 sensors, cleaned the MAF. I did notice the EGR had some cracked insulation on the wire harness. Cleaned the Injectors. Testing Fuel pressure- no results yet.

How do you test the solenoid on top of the EGR? Anyone have a Wiring Diagram?

Back