Tailgate is pissing me off

Paco CX-9

:
2018 CX-9 GT
The power liftgate on my '18 absolutely refuses to be actuated with the button on the driver's dash. I've tried everything - vehicle in park, emergency brake set, no doors open, nada. Anyone else have this issue and know how to fix it? It does open with the button on the liftgate itself. Frustrating.

Unlock all doors first

The power liftgate on my '18 absolutely refuses to be actuated with the button on the driver's dash. I've tried everything - vehicle in park, emergency brake set, no doors open, nada. Anyone else have this issue and know how to fix it? It does open with the button on the liftgate itself. Frustrating.

Make sure all the doors are unlocked. This was annoying me on my 2012 model until I read the manual and realized that you have to unlock all doors before the auto liftgate will actuate. From the drivers position, it means hitting the central locking unlock button before hitting the liftgate button. On the fob, you need to press unlock twice (on mine anyway) to unlock all doors before hitting the liftgate button.

At risk of stating the obvious...the dash button only works when the car the off...that threw me off when I first got mine...

Make sure all the doors are unlocked. This was annoying me on my 2012 model until I read the manual and realized that you have to unlock all doors before the auto liftgate will actuate. From the drivers position, it means hitting the central locking unlock button before hitting the liftgate button. On the fob, you need to press unlock twice (on mine anyway) to unlock all doors before hitting the liftgate button.

On my 2016, no need to unlock before pressing the lift gate button on the fob. Just have to press and hold the button for a second or so.
To OP are you holding the button down for at least one second and do you hear any beeps when using the button on the driver's dash? If you don't hear any beeps, that may mean the button is not working or disconnected somehow.

Another one for unlocking the doors before using the button by the steering wheel. Didn't even think of this. The car can be on, but the doors should be unlocked. You may also be able to force it to open by holding the button down for a couple of seconds.

With my CX-9, as soon as I got it, I went into the menu to change the Personalization settings to "Lock: Shift From P, Unlock: In P." This way, if I put it in Park, the doors unlock and the liftgate can be opened.

Yep, make sure the car is in park, physically press the door unlock button, and then press (and hold until you hear a beep) the tailgate lift button.

Back