Front bumper plastic molding scratched

:
2017 Mazda CX-5 GT + PREM Pkg 2019 CX5- GT Reserve
Does anybody know how to fix the plastic molding trims ? I scratched the molding on the front bumper theyre a little deep . Will post pics when I get a chance. Is there a way to get rid of the scratches or replacing just that part it self . I tried looking online but no luck, maybe I didnt look hard enough. Any help would be appreciated.

This area
zw1aig.jpg

I think if it's scratched, there's no way to repair it. I have some really minor scuffs on my rear bumper, can't even feel them with my hand, and I've been told by a couple of Mazda dealerships that they won't attempt fixing it and will only replace it.

I have heard of using a 50/50 mixture of boiled linseed oil and paint thinner to refresh the black trim, but I think this only works if your trim has oxidized (looks whitish or chalky). I had planned to try this out, just haven't gotten to it yet.

https://bimmertips.com/renew-faded-bmw-plastic-trim-without-paint/

I would try this method to "hide" the marks, then apply some 303 for UV protection and added durability. Without the 303, the oil will wash away after a few washes and you'll have to reapply.

You can also try using a heat gun to "melt" the scratches away, but you may end up doing more harm then good.

The front bumper is one piece...the black piece is part of the bumper cover. Ask me how I know!!
20180424_103825.jpg

Last edited:
The front bumper is one piece...the black piece is part of the bumper cover. Ask me how I know!!
20180424_103825.jpg

lol ! yeah I checked this morning and saw that its not a separate part.

I think if it's scratched, there's no way to repair it. I have some really minor scuffs on my rear bumper, can't even feel them with my hand, and I've been told by a couple of Mazda dealerships that they won't attempt fixing it and will only replace it.

I have heard of using a 50/50 mixture of boiled linseed oil and paint thinner to refresh the black trim, but I think this only works if your trim has oxidized (looks whitish or chalky). I had planned to try this out, just haven't gotten to it yet.

I would try this method to "hide" the marks, then apply some 303 for UV protection and added durability. Without the 303, the oil will wash away after a few washes and you'll have to reapply.

You can also try using a heat gun to "melt" the scratches away, but you may end up doing more harm then good.

I've seen videos for the heat gun method but I doubt it will do any good to the scratches or the bumper itself.
also read about using buffing compound

That texture on the plastic will be impossible to replicate and you're more likely to make it worse with any type of repair. At the end of the day, its a vehicle and will get scratched, bumped and gashed, it's inevitable.

Back