New USA Map update - July 2018 (Mazda Connect)

:
2017 CX-5 GT AWD
I have been checking since August as the last update was Feb, so i figured 6 months would be August/September. Nothing until a few days ago:

Surprise it is July 2018. I have not idea why they waited until the end of September to post it on the web site, but the site now says it is available via Mazda Toolbox

http://infotainment.mazdahandsfree.com/navigation?language=en-US

This is the link for Mazda Connect. I have not checked for anything older.

Mazda is always late about posting map update availability.
Had you plugged the navigation SD card into your computer in July (as I did), the Mazda Toolbox would have offered the update.
I updated both my CX-5 and my MX-5 at that time.

Since I've installed CarPlay/Android Auto in both cars, I'm now less concerned about the twice-yearly Mazda map updates.

I have not updated the maps on my Sept 16 CX5. Its old and you can tell. I will do this soon! thank you.

I updated it, you need a Mazda toolbox software a login and then put your card - wait for it to download and update.
Took about 2 hours total. Was a slow process. Now - I see roads that were absent on my MZD navi but visible on google. I have till Aug 28 2019 - hopefully one more free update.

I updated it, you need a Mazda toolbox software a login and then put your card - wait for it to download and update.
Took about 2 hours total. Was a slow process. Now - I see roads that were absent on my MZD navi but visible on google. I have till Aug 28 2019 - hopefully one more free update.

Probably 2 updates ... January and July of 2019.

Updating my Nav for the second time just now.

After clicking the Install Mazda Toolbox and updating the first installation of Toolbox, I ran the update. It ran and proceeded with the update. All seemed to be fine till it reached the end. The program now seems to be stuck. The installation status bar says 100% but the message on the top of the program box says Installing...

The instructions tell me that after the update I should see a menu on the left hand side of the program box that gives me some options, it hasn't. Should I click on the Help button in the program box? Maybe it hasn't quite finished? It's been sitting there like that for 30 mins or so and I'm worried that it hasn't finished and that if I do something it'll mess it up.

Anyone?

Last edited:
Is there an easy way to tell if the software is up to date, without pulling out the card and plugging it into a pc?

I would like to think the dealer updated my software since I just bought it a week ago. But they probably did not! (shrug)

Is there an easy way to tell if the software is up to date, without pulling out the card and plugging it into a pc?

I would like to think the dealer updated my software since I just bought it a week ago. But they probably did not! (shrug)

Software / Firmware version is not same as maps. For e.g. my infotaintment version is NA 55. But my maps are upto date - even relatively new roads appear on it. I do not think your dealer may have updated the navi card. They can - just make sure they do not charge anything as its as simple as plug card and run the mazda tool.

After waiting at least 45 mins with the Toolbox program in the above described condition I decided to click on the Help button. After I did that the program acted as if the SD card wasn't inserted and asked me to insert the card. I ejected it then reinserted it. From all indications (on my PC) it looks as if the update was done. The version indicates that it's the July 2018 update and is current. The program tells me that I have one update available (till 12/2019) and it asks me if I'd like to update now. Um, what? I thought that if there wasn't a more current update than the one on the card that it wouldn't indicate that there was a newer update?

I guess I'll find out after I reinsert the card into the Mazda eh, or will I?

edit for adding to the above.

I tried the newly updated SD card out in the CX. After reinserting the card one press of the Start button put the car in the ACC position, as normal. I don't know if the update had anything to do with this but the music on my flash drive loaded up faster than it ever has in the past, faster by at least half. I tried out the Nav while sitting in the garage and all seems to be working fine.

Cool.

Last edited:
Back