My cx5 impressed me

(It wears Nokian WRG3's currently).

Do you have the 19" GT wheels? If so, what size WRG3s did you go with? I had WRG3s on my Gen 3 RAV4 before it got totaled and replaced with my '15 GT CX5. Looking to replace the OEMs (utter garbage) with some all weathers before it starts snowing consistently out here.

Do you have the 19" GT wheels? If so, what size WRG3s did you go with? I had WRG3s on my Gen 3 RAV4 before it got totaled and replaced with my '15 GT CX5. Looking to replace the OEMs (utter garbage) with some all weathers before it starts snowing consistently out here.

No, 17" rims, and I hate these tires. Would NOT recommend. I got them roughly 16-17K miles ago, and they are to the point that the snowflake pressed into the tread (4/32") is beginning to wear off. For comparison, I replaced by CrossContact LX20's at 50K miles, with around 2/32 left. Also, they are loud, handle rain poorly (not standing water, just wet surfaces). I am trying out the AltimaxRT43 tires next. THey get good reviews here and elsewhere for all around performance. That said, TireRack seems to show good reviews for the Goodyear Weatherready tire. Maybe look into that? I just know Nokians are cheap crap, based on my experience.

No, 17" rims, and I hate these tires. Would NOT recommend. I got them roughly 16-17K miles ago, and they are to the point that the snowflake pressed into the tread (4/32") is beginning to wear off. For comparison, I replaced by CrossContact LX20's at 50K miles, with around 2/32 left. Also, they are loud, handle rain poorly (not standing water, just wet surfaces). I am trying out the AltimaxRT43 tires next. THey get good reviews here and elsewhere for all around performance. That said, TireRack seems to show good reviews for the Goodyear Weatherready tire. Maybe look into that? I just know Nokians are cheap crap, based on my experience.

Interesting - I really liked them while I had them on my RAV4, but admittedly I barely got 5k miles on them before my car got totaled. Never had the chance to see how they held up long term.

Otherwise I'm looking at Toyo Celsius - want something that will be handle the snow a little better than all-seasons. Here in Denver we get snow that will be punishing one day and totally evaporated the next; not exactly enough for me to want to shell out for winters unless I went into the mountains with any frequency (I don't). I'll take a look at the goodyears, too. Thanks for the tip!

Interesting - I really liked them while I had them on my RAV4, but admittedly I barely got 5k miles on them before my car got totaled. Never had the chance to see how they held up long term.

Otherwise I'm looking at Toyo Celsius - want something that will be handle the snow a little better than all-seasons. Here in Denver we get snow that will be punishing one day and totally evaporated the next; not exactly enough for me to want to shell out for winters unless I went into the mountains with any frequency (I don't). I'll take a look at the goodyears, too. Thanks for the tip!

I get the same weather, and my LX20s did awesome, even in near whiteout conditions. Literally the onl reason i went wrg3 suv was for glare ice.

I am trying the rt43s because i want to try em, and the lx20s cost me a couple mpg i think.

Hello fellow Denverite.

If It wasn't for the fact I was able to get a set of 4 Blizzak WS80's for $87/each (price misprint or something), I would agree and say dedicated snows are not necessary in Denver. I have found that a quality set of all seasons have been good enough, with the caveat that by the 3rd or 4th winter, their performance in the winter is greatly diminished.

For my all-seasons, just put on some General Altimax RT43's. I did not like them at first, but as they've worn, they feel much, much better, albeit, their cornering does not feel as good as my previous set of Michelin tires. I also noticed that on certain grooved roads, the RT43's seem especially prone with their tread pattern to feel like their going side to side almost. I've consistently felt like that driving on I-225 on the way to and from DIA. But outside of those 2 caveats, for the price, overall am happy.

I get the same weather, and my LX20s did awesome, even in near whiteout conditions. Literally the onl reason i went wrg3 suv was for glare ice.

I am trying the rt43s because i want to try em, and the lx20s cost me a couple mpg i think.

I'll look into the Connies- thanks for the tip!

Hello fellow Denverite.

If It wasn't for the fact I was able to get a set of 4 Blizzak WS80's for $87/each (price misprint or something), I would agree and say dedicated snows are not necessary in Denver. I have found that a quality set of all seasons have been good enough, with the caveat that by the 3rd or 4th winter, their performance in the winter is greatly diminished.

For my all-seasons, just put on some General Altimax RT43's. I did not like them at first, but as they've worn, they feel much, much better, albeit, their cornering does not feel as good as my previous set of Michelin tires. I also noticed that on certain grooved roads, the RT43's seem especially prone with their tread pattern to feel like their going side to side almost. I've consistently felt like that driving on I-225 on the way to and from DIA. But outside of those 2 caveats, for the price, overall am happy.

What do you mean side to side? The Altimaxes do look like the are well rated for snow on Tirerack (for an all season) and are certainly priced right, so I'll do my homework on those too. Do you feel like they slip/lose contact? That's more or less the reason I'm looking to ditch the OEM Toyos; occasionally when I'm changing lanes or hit certain pavement I feel like the car temporarily loses traction. This is on bright, sunny, dry days, too. Not exactly confidence inspiring.

I'll look into the Connies- thanks for the tip!

What do you mean side to side? The Altimaxes do look like the are well rated for snow on Tirerack (for an all season) and are certainly priced right, so I'll do my homework on those too. Do you feel like they slip/lose contact? That's more or less the reason I'm looking to ditch the OEM Toyos; occasionally when I'm changing lanes or hit certain pavement I feel like the car temporarily loses traction. This is on bright, sunny, dry days, too. Not exactly confidence inspiring.

I don't know how to explain it, but they feel like the tread pattern just doesn't play nice with certain grooved roads. So while they go straight, there's almost a side to side feeling in the steering wheel as you are going. I don't know how to explain it, I think it's just the tread pattern not playing nice with the grooves.

Outside of that though, they have been great. Like I said, has only ever consistently happened on I-225.

That feeling could be due to sidewall stiffness differences among tires.

Back