My cx5 impressed me

I'd have to run premium, and it would still be slow as balls. No.

So per your findings it basically hangs with the new SVT Raptor stock at speed but tuned its 'still slow as balls'? Wait for it..

Last edited:
It*s a beautiful curve too, btw. Almost too pretty to believe, honestly. And no, I*m not saying it*s not real by any means, but I really wanna see the A/F of this thing...

Lines up with dynos from individuals available on fb/mazda6forum. There are a lot of very detailed threads on that forum regarding OVtuning on the 2.0/2.5 sky from individuals, as a lot more of those drivers are interested in power gain (it seems). Even the old tunes from 2014 had a much more linear curve. If you have a 16+ CX-5 with a denso ECU you have a better tuning platform and more performance gain than <16 which have Mitsubishi ecu. A/fs are normal.. if they weren't the engine would be pulling timing or limping constantly

Lines up with dynos from individuals available on fb/mazda6forum. There are a lot of very detailed threads on that forum regarding OVtuning on the 2.0/2.5 sky from individuals, as a lot more of those drivers are interested in power gain (it seems). Even the old tunes from 2014 had a much more linear curve. If you have a 16+ CX-5 with a denso ECU you have a better tuning platform and more performance gain than <16 which have Mitsubishi ecu. A/fs are normal.. if they weren't the engine would be pulling timing or limping constantly
Uh yea, why do you think I wanna see the A/F and timing charts as well? BTW, my dyno charts show them (A/F anyways).

Please remember, Im a supporter of what OVT is doing, I thought it was a sham when he got ran off from here...

Uh yea, why do you think I wanna see the A/F and timing charts as well? BTW, my dyno charts show them (A/F anyways).

Please remember, I*m a supporter of what OVT is doing, I thought it was a sham when he got ran off from here...

I can log some data from my mom house to my apt later (~12mi w mostly highway)

Yeah no f'n way he 'matted it' unless it was in limp mode..5.1 to 60 for the new ecoboost Raptor..something doesn't add up here- numbers are numbers but they ain't even close- he's smooshing my gen1 x1 and my x1 smooshes my gen1 CX5.

https://www.caranddriver.com/review...ving-impressions-review-car-and-driver-page-4

All I know is I smelled the exhaust pretty profoundly, and that's through closed windows and my AC on recirc. I had followed him for 2-3 miles previous without a whiff. Now did he 90% mat it? I dunno. I'm just saying he hit it hard enough that I smelled it pretty notably.

So per your findings it basically hangs with the new SVT Raptor stock at speed but tuned its 'still slow as balls'? Wait for it..

Dude...do you think the new raptor is "Fast"? It's a full-sized truck. It's slow as balls, too. The 1/4 mile speed I'm seeing is 13.8@100mph. Welcome to 1980's econo sports car + mild bolt-ons (CAI + pulley's) territory!

It*s a beautiful curve too, btw. Almost too pretty to believe, honestly. And no, I*m not saying it*s not real by any means, but I really wanna see the A/F of this thing...

Wouldn't be so beautiful if it started at 0 rpm.

And stock would be WAY uglier.

The one thing I don't like about the stock tune is how it gets on the cam just above 3k, like an early turbo. Actually it the lack of guts below that I dislike even more.

I'd be interested in seeing that lower half of Chris' dyno.

The dyno reads to the wheels. Its probably about 160 to the wheels for yours, I would guess with a 14% correction from flywheel to the wheels, so roughly 35hp more...

I'm curious if anyone has ever done an engine-dyno of the 2.5 or 2.0 Sky. I am very curious how much the transmission and accessories rob. I am betting they are pretty damn frugal honestly.

The one thing I don't like about the stock tune is how it gets on the cam just above 3k, like an early turbo. Actually it the lack of guts below that I dislike even more.

I've never seen a pull start at 0rpm. Usually it's 2500 and up, 1500ish is an exception.

At 0 rpm? Lol -most dyno pulls are done in 3rd or 4th gear. Good luck with that. Rip the engine out and put it on a stand if you want more. That aint happening...

Of course a stock dyno wont be quite as pretty, but itd be nice to see it graphed over this one...

3k rpm like an early turbo. Lol An early turbo is torquing hard way before that, and peaking in the 3ks, running outta steam up top (easy to tune out too, btw).Of course it lacks a little guts down low, its a low displacement NA motor with no FI...

I'm curious if anyone has ever done an engine-dyno of the 2.5 or 2.0 Sky. I am very curious how much the transmission and accessories rob. I am betting they are pretty damn frugal honestly.

I used 14%, which is about what Im used to seeing, and I think its probably about right. 10-14% would be my guess...

At 0 rpm? Lol -most dyno pulls are done in 3rd or 4th gear. Good luck with that. Rip the engine out and put it on a stand if you want more. That ain*t happening...

Of course a stock dyno won*t be quite as pretty, but it*d be nice to see it graphed over this one...

*3k rpm like an early turbo*. Lol An *early turbo* is torquing hard way before that, and peaking in the 3k*s, running outta steam up top (easy to tune out too, btw).Of course it lacks a little guts down low, it*s a low displacement NA motor with no FI...

Stock 370Z dyno. Note the CFE smoothing factor (the dip seems to be artifact). This is a no-tune car. My 370Z felt like that graph indicates, as well. Very impressive for a 232ci engine!
http://photobucket.com/gallery/http...yhoes/media/NewStock370ZDynoBaseline.jpg.html

As to turbo running out of steam...
That's why you need a proper system. Size the turbo to the engine and the engine timing to the event anticipated via VVT or cams if your engine needs cams (the 370Z does not use cams for the intake valves).

Stock 370Z dyno. Note the CFE smoothing factor (the dip seems to be artifact). This is a no-tune car. My 370Z felt like that graph indicates, as well. Very impressive for a 232ci engine!
http://photobucket.com/gallery/http...yhoes/media/NewStock370ZDynoBaseline.jpg.html

As to turbo running out of steam...
That's why you need a proper system. Size the turbo to the engine and the engine timing to the event anticipated via VVT or cams if your engine needs cams (the 370Z does not use cams for the intake valves).

Been there, done that. Ive gotta small turbo car that pulls like a raped ape on the top end. It used to fall on its face. Cams, boost held constant to redline, and meth injection are a powerful combo. The low end is still more fun, though, and it should be. If I wanted a true highway puller, Id go for more displacement, and turbo/s the size of watermelons...

See how this dyno included the a/f. It is a nice curve btw, and I love how the Z cars sounds, but theyve always been slow to me for what they are. Not a low blow, but I like them in general, and know of two folks here that have twin turbo kits on theres. Not what you think it would be...

Last edited:
Dude...do you think the new raptor is "Fast"? It's a full-sized truck. It's slow as balls, too. The 1/4 mile speed I'm seeing is 13.8@100mph. Welcome to 1980's econo sports car + mild bolt-ons (CAI + pulley's) territory!

5.1 to 60 slow as balls and you're driving a cx5? You must hate yourself;)

5.1 to 60 slow as balls and you're driving a cx5? You must hate yourself;)

No, because there is always a trade-off. yes the CX5 sucks in the grand scheme of things, but...

-It was cheap and skewed my D/I ratio, which just paid for itself AGAIN, as I'm closing on more land next to me. That's worth more than a car to me.
-It has been super reliable.
-It sips the cheap swill, and I drive 100+ miles a day every time I work.
-Its looks have honestly grown on me.
-It's stoopid cheap to maintain.
-It has AWD, and that means I can drive in ice storms much better than if it didn't (It wears Nokian WRG3's currently).

But yes, if I were "trying to be fast", 5.1 to 60 is trash. Now, if it did 5.1 to 60 and met all of the above criteria? yeah, it would still be slow, but it would be a lot more fun, lol! I'm considering a used WRX once I break even in the CX5, depending on finances at that time. Something like a same-year CPO trade-in.

6omukl.jpg

Last edited:
Been there, done that. I*ve gotta small turbo car that pulls like a raped ape on the top end. It used to fall on its face. Cams, boost held constant to redline, and meth injection are a powerful combo. The low end is still more fun, though, and it should be. If I wanted a true highway puller, I*d go for more displacement, and turbo/s the size of watermelons...

See how this dyno included the a/f. It is a nice curve btw, and I love how the Z cars sounds, but they*ve always been slow to me for what they are. Not a low blow, but I like them in general, and know of two folks here that have twin turbo kits on there*s. Not what you think it would be...

Stock the thing amazed me. It has a 232ci engine (well, I say stock, I had smooth bellows and a Berk CBE). It was only SLIGHTLY SLOWER than the 2010-12 Camaro SS's, which had well over 400hp. Impressed me! The handling was what was disappointing. It had virtually no rebound control (2012 Sport/Touring package). For a V6, it pulled great. No, it wasn't very fast, but 0-60 in the mid 4 second range was pretty good in my book for what it cost, and what it was.
Here is some crappy cell footage of me enjoying mine. Pretty light on the go-pedal because it was raining. Just out for a drive.

Friend of mine had a buddy with an 800+whp civic. I rode in it on the street-tune, and that is honestly the scariest car I've ever ridden in. It was an animal. Truly scary. It woke up around 5K and it was ON! The tires would hook up until about 50mph, and then it was spin city until 100+

Last edited:
The mentioned 370Z runs in the same ball park as well. Imagine that...

When I bought mine they were running around 4.5-4.7 to 60. That's about half a second faster, and the trap speed was 5-8+ mph higher. That's an entirely different league. It still isn't fast, but it's not slow as balls. It's "fun for the street". Past a certain point, a car doesn't really bring much enjoyment on the street for me unless I'm in the flatlands or something, because you're just leaving it in 3rd gear and the throttle does all the work because you have more than enough power, and your straights aren't long enough to wind out past 100+ and necessitate a shift. It's like driving a CVT, and you all hate that, amiright?

Back