Identifying 2016 vs 2016.5

Have you noticed Mazda no longer uses "KODO" anymore?

I just pulled up a 2019 CX-5 brochure I've got saved to my hard drive. They actually use it twice in there.

Perhaps it's not as prominent as it used to be. I'm new to the Mazda world. I expected to buy a Wankel rotary ;)

For those of you noting exact build dates, where are you getting this information?
I have the same question on this. The manufacture date on the label in driver's door jamb has only month and year.

Offtopic, but what (in your opinion) makes the first gen's exterior better than the current gen? The only thing that the first gen does better exterior wise (my opinion) is the wheel design. Current gen looks sleeker, more athletic.

Too much chrome. I despise that chrome strip on the side window. One reason I liked the 16 was that unlike almost every car out there it had ZERO chrome accents around the window. I do not understand why 70% of cars have chrome around the windows.

Gen-1 CX-5 resembles Mazda's original KODO design language perfectly, with unique curve line on the sides.

Have you noticed Mazda no longer uses "KODO" anymore?

https://www.mazda.ca/en/vehicles/cx-9/features/#design

I see what you mean though, the curve line on the sides is pretty distinctive, and transitions to the rear bumper nicely. But I don't think it transitions well to the front bumper - instead, there's a separate curve that starts at the grille/hood and transitions over the wheel arch, which I like. But then it intersects with yet another design curve along the upper doors that transitions to the taillights. It's a lot going on, which isn't bad of course, it's just more polarizing. Similar to what Lexus did with it's designs - you either like them, or you don't.

I think the current gen is a lot more cohesive in design, with a clear flow from front to rear. You have a single, more gradual sweep from the headlights to the wheel arches, with another smaller sweep in the rear quarter panel to transition to the tail lights. It's a lot less "offensive" and in-your-face, and to use Mazda's words, "highly seductive". This falls in line with their push to become a more premium, refined brand. The only things I don't like about the body design of the current CX-5 is the rear and the trim around the windows. The two-tone trim is odd, and the tail lights appear to bulge out quite a bit.

Either way, whether your preference is 1G or 2G, it's pretty clear that Mazda goes the extra mile when it comes to design, compared to the competition.

Too much chrome. I despise that chrome strip on the side window. One reason I liked the 16 was that unlike almost every car out there it had ZERO chrome accents around the window. I do not understand why 70% of cars have chrome around the windows.

Chrome trim has been used to "beautify" exteriors for years. People like shiny stuff, they always have. Plenty have also blacked out the chrome trip with vinyl tape. Easy enough to do, and cheap as well. But I don't understand why they blacked out the top half and then have chrome on the lower half. Would have been better to just use one or the other.

Last edited:
Chrome trim has been used to "beautify" exteriors for years. People like shiny stuff, they always have. Plenty have also blacked out the chrome trip with vinyl tape. Easy enough to do, and cheap as well. But I don't understand why they blacked out the top half and then have chrome on the lower half. Would have been better to just use one or the other.

There's a disconnect here though, I feel. THEY think we like the chrome... THEY don't give us a choice. I promise most people could care less about a thin piece of chrome around the windows. Just like Apple thought WE don't want headphone jacks anymore...
Not to even mention there's one other car out there that only chromed the bottom trim piece... a company Mazda should avoid emulating at all costs since so many people still think this company owns part of Mazda.
You know who I mean...

bbe88ef9a46997652f24d35ec2e50765.jpg

I mean COME ON! :p

Offtopic, but what (in your opinion) makes the first gen's exterior better than the current gen? The only thing that the first gen does better exterior wise (my opinion) is the wheel design. Current gen looks sleeker, more athletic.

Add me to the list of Gen 1 > Gen 2 exterior design for the following reasons:

- Front chrome is way too big and gaudy
- Front grill looks very strange in that recessed design that makes the hood overhang it. It's like an overbite. Not a fan.
- No "Kodo swoop" on the side
- Not a fan of the chrome under the windows

However, I will say that the Gen 1 good looks get totally ruined by those silver roof rails in my opinion.

Last edited:
https://www.mazda.ca/en/vehicles/cx-9/features/#design
The only things I don't like about the body design of the current CX-5 is the rear and the trim around the windows. The two-tone trim is odd, and the tail lights appear to bulge out quite a bit.

I was in a parking lot one day, and I guy came up saying how beautiful the car was. He walked around back and said, "Look at that ass. I love a car with a fat ass, don't you?"
Seriously.

Back