Thread: 2011 CX-9 LF possible brake noise?

Registered Member

cx9

2011 CX-9 LF possible brake noise?

I don't get it, I just don't.

Brakes were new a year ago, this year they started making noises. Sounds like a radial noise so only happens on a certain rotating part. The noise is like a groaning or like a rusty rotor and brake pad brushing up on each other, kind of like qwoosh, qwoosh, qwoosh sound. Used to only happen when braking, but wife complained about it yesterday so i took it out and it happened while off the brakes as well. :/...hmm.

Every time I investigate by taking the two caliper pins (they are lubricated still) out and removing the pads, put them back in they are fine for a week or so. Rotors look good, wheel bearing and hub replaced a bout a month or two ago, pad material is about 3/8" on both pads, and oh, forgot to put the dust shield back on so its not that. The only other rotating assembly I can think of is the axle shaft, but the boot isn't torn and I havent noticed loss of MPG so I don't think its binding.

Any thoughts?

Registered Member

2008 Mazda CX-9 Touring FWD . 2014 CX-5 GT FWD

Quote Originally Posted by yangstylz View Post
    I don't get it, I just don't.

Brakes were new a year ago, this year they started making noises. Sounds like a radial noise so only happens on a certain rotating part. The noise is like a groaning or like a rusty rotor and brake pad brushing up on each other, kind of like qwoosh, qwoosh, qwoosh sound. Used to only happen when braking, but wife complained about it yesterday so i took it out and it happened while off the brakes as well. :/...hmm.

Every time I investigate by taking the two caliper pins (they are lubricated still) out and removing the pads, put them back in they are fine for a week or so. Rotors look good, wheel bearing and hub replaced a bout a month or two ago, pad material is about 3/8" on both pads, and oh, forgot to put the dust shield back on so its not that. The only other rotating assembly I can think of is the axle shaft, but the boot isn't torn and I havent noticed loss of MPG so I don't think its binding.

Any thoughts?
    1. New brake pads or new rotors and pads? If only pads, get under the car and check out inside surface of rotors as they may be pitted before the outsides show anything. (I had this happen)

2. It's entirely possible the new bearing or hub is bad. Of course the bearing sound will be more of hum that increases with speed, not a whoosh whoosh.

3. A bad CV joint (axle shaft) will sound off primarily when turning sharply and will click. You don't describe that symptom.

If I had to guess, I would say it's the brakes and likely a sticking caliper or rotor flaw of some kind. (no, rotors don't warp but can come defective)

Anything brake-related should be able to be heard or seen with the wheels jacked up and spun by hand. Use wheel blocks and jack stands to get both front wheels in the air to test.

Registered Member

2010 CX-9

Stuck caliper - had it on my 2010 - front right - replaced last year and it happened again a month ago so I replaced it again -
    2010 CX-9 GT AWD w/navi - Copper Red/Sand - Bought 6/25/10