Strut Replacement advice

smetzger

03 P5 (x2), 09 Miata, 07 Mazda3, 13 Fit, 09 Ody
I am getting a crunching sound from RF wheel when going over bumps, also getting vibration at highway speeds from RF wheel.

Shop tells me it is the strut.

Some Questions...
1) Can I replace just the one strut? What if I use one of the quick struts which includes the spring?

2) If I need to replace both front anyway, maybe I do all four and lower it a little. Any recommendations on a daily suspension setup that a little lower? Brands? Where to buy?

Thanks,
Scott

I wouldn't replace just one strut. It might throw off your balance.

I had my rear strut blow out and I replaced both sides for stability.

Monroe offers quick struts which are original ride quality.
(which weren't available when I ordered.. so I bought struts and reused my coil springs.)

There's cheaper quick struts too..

You could replace your rears later to save money and buy some time.

Lowered strut assemblies may be a lot more money ??

Yes you can replace the strut by yourself but maybe do some research before making the purchase. Id just start with th front two then later do the rear.

Yeah, I was looking at the Monroe Quick Struts and thinking that especially if I went that route (and had a new spring) it would be a good idea to at least replace both fronts.

Yeah, I was looking at the Monroe Quick Struts and thinking that especially if I went that route (and had a new spring) it would be a good idea to at least replace both fronts.

I've got Monroe struts and they've been holding real well, the quick struts are real easy to install since it's the whole assembly rather than having to compress the spring and putting in a new strut etc. I'd replace all of them at once so they wear nearly the same, or at least do both fronts/both backs.

I'm personally running Tein S-Tech springs on the Monroe struts and they've been great. I commute daily between school and work and they're a pretty comfortable ride. Here's how my car sits with them:
ywQ7Jf0.jpg

Ended up using the Monroe quick struts. Some notes on the install for the next person...

Good video here...

1) One of the top bolts sticks out further than the others, so you will need a 14 mm deep socket to remove that one.

2) My quick struts came with new nuts for the top bolts. But these are 15 mm. So I needed a 15 mm deep socket to put it on.

3) My Right side had a camber bolt in it. The nut was smaller. This was very difficult to get out. As you can see the from the pick the bolt has an 'edge' to it. This was caught and I almost ruined the bolt trying to hammer it out. Got it our by turning counter clockwise while I hit it with a hammer.
45213939671_66aa16db10.jpg

4) If your stabilizer control link is not original it may not have the allen key to hold it as indicated by the video. To remove use a 18mm open socket on the back end while turning the nut. See pic...
45163894512_102e73f0d7.jpg

Back